It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unsettling finding from CDC investigation: Tapeworms can transmit cancer cells to humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
FYI to those who like their meat "rare" and still bleeding.

Cook your food thoroughly.

www.washingtonpost.com... m-tapeworm/?tid=sm_fb

This is the first time we've seen parasite-derived cancer cells spreading within an individual," Muehlenbachs said. "This is a very unusual, very unique illness."

The case study is worrisome for numerous reasons.

We know that many creatures, such as various sea animals, are susceptible to cancer, while others, like elephants, are almost immune to it. But until now, scientists had not believed that any human parasite could harbor cancer cells or transfer them to people.

We've also known that certain parasitic infections may put people at higher risk for specific cancers — such as flatworms for bile duct cancer or a river creature called schistosoma haematobium for bladder cancer, according to the American Cancer Society. But the reason was wholly different, namely a hyper-immune response that may weaken an individual.

edit on 6-11-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sat Nov 7 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
There are cases of tapeworms and similar parasites that actually siphon bacteria, bile, and even feces directly from the gut and intestinal track to a person's brain.

It knda brings new meaning to "bleephead" and "bleep for brains".

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Sweet, this just gives power to the idea that Mebendazol in worming medication can prevent or kill living cancer.

They'll ban worming meds soon, or replace it with a substitute, like replacing codiene with that phenyl crap that 10% of the worlds population has adverse side effects too.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
That's a pretty interesting read, I'd never assumed that was possible.

Well, there goes my idea of using tape worms for weight loss. Seriously, people get insanely skinny when they have tape worms. Doctors used to use leaches...why not offer the 'tape worm diet'?

Before this article, I'm sure some Hollywood celeb could have been convinced it was chic and trendy...

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I would like to add some info to this thread.

I worked in the fishing industry in Alaska ,primarily the "fresh Alaskan slamon ".

Whelp, to make a long story short ,my first season i was running a ryco gutting machine,this basically guts the salmon after they get their heads off by the heading machine.

We also had a manual section for gutting fish that we used if our machines went down or we got over loaded .

I would often notice at times these white stringy things hanging out of the salmons back ends ,of course. I was new and for some reason I assumed it was the gutts. You see the salmon always arived dead (most of the time) we would process them if they were a certain temp "deemed safe".

Anyway one day while running my machine I looked over on the manual table and decided I was going to sling some fish gutts at my ship mate ( worked on a processing ship) So I grabbed my knife and went to scoop this long stringy "fish gutt" up , to my surprise this thing retracted back into the fish! it must have been about 3 feet long , I have seen them about 4 or 5 feet roughly. So instantly was curious and gutted the fish and what do you know a whole lock of these things came out.

Later on I found out they were TAPEWORMS. It grossed me out so much.

The worse part about it. I decided to asked the quality control guy if they did anything to sanitize the fish or something . he told me all they to is flash freez them and that it was efficient enough to kill any type of parasite. BS!

The salmon get gutted ,ran thorough salt water , put in a blast tunnel , then shipped all over the US and other places untreated .

I would say about 1 in every 5 salmon i saw out their was infected with tapewroms. And ! And! That was not the only worms i saw . I saw worms in the row , in bloodline , in the eyes , and many differing kinds, It really grossed me out .

The cleanest salmon were the king salmon I didn't really see parasites in them to much.

So make sure you COOK ANY SALMON that comes from Alaska. I have no idea how these fish catch these parasites , my guess is from eating bugs? .

And if your wondering . NOPE i don't eat salmon anymore.

Kap
edit on 06/17/2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Our neighbor the tapeworm. Another reason not to eat "meat". Giving it up is not that bad, not at all, and your body easily gets used to foods that you will love as much, if not more (the "every meal is a feast" experience that vegans have).

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Thanks for that.

This is why I will never eat sushi or other uncooked fish. It is just not worth the risk.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
Fish tapeworms which can infect mammals only occur in species which spend part of their life cycle in fresh water. Tuna, among others, don't do so.

For those that do, freezing is an effective means of killing worm larvae (which are the problem).

edit on 11/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You are assuming they use real Tuna in their sushi.... most don't.

www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I can tell the difference, it isn't hard. I also often cut the fish myself.
But that article does not mention any freshwater species and salmon is quite distinctive.

Feel free to not eat raw fish.
edit on 11/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

join