It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majority Of U.S. College Students Now Support "Regulating" Free Speech

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
hmm, " regulated free speech " ...interesting concept.

We all, or mostly agree with the concept of regulating free speech. I mean no sane person would allow the right of free speech of a person walking into a kids school and giving a talk to the kids on the value and merit of taking drugs or unrestricted sexual talk based on their beliefs and values. We accept there is a line that shouldn't be crossed to protect others from harm.

Hate speech is wrong but I guess we all have boundries on what we think is acceptable or not.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Kali74

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Kali74

From what little I can I find it was a study/survey of 800 people.
All the articles I am finding about it all link back to the WSJ article though. And trying to do on my phone.

Yeah, it looks like they do a bunch of surveys for right-leaning sites. It would be nice to see the study.

You understand they do this on campus already?

What do you think "free speech zones" are if not "regulated free speech?"

Just like ATS a college is a private entity not the government.

So what's your point?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
So, what do we have here ... another right-winger diatribe about a "poll" that's not linked to in the OP, or available in the OP's source.

In Georgia we used to call that "a pig in a poke."

Look at the structure of the comments. The polling questions were structured to produce the results desired.

This is nothing but another belief-based screed from the blogsphere.

Oh, and let's be honest about one item at least ... the George W. Bush Administration resurrected the old concept of "free speech zones" to protect the President from, you know, having to hear people saying bad stuff about him and all.

... and now, for some actual facts about attitudes toward free speech on college campuses ...

Ben Carson Wants the Government to "Monitor Bias" on College Campuses in the Washington Post

"There are many conservative groups that very opposed to speech codes, because they're seen as politically correct," Kessler points out. "Those sorts of conservatives might find Ben Carson's proposal surprising, because it sounds like it's proposing to fight back against what he perceives as left-wing views on campus by imposing more government regulation." That's the opposite of many libertarian and conservative groups, which seek to eliminate regulation of speech on campuses.

Now, let's hear from someone (not a fascist) who actually knows something about college campuses ...

Students, faculty and administrators want our campuses to be free and safe, but we also acknowledge that the imperatives of freedom and safety are sometimes in conflict. A campus free from violence is an absolute necessity for a true education, but a campus free from challenge and confrontation would be anathema to it. We must not protect ourselves from disagreement; we must be open to being offended for the sake of learning, and we must be ready to give offense so as to create new opportunities for thinking.

Michael Roth,
President, Wesleyan University in the Huffington Post

edit on 5Tue, 27 Oct 2015 05:12:54 -050015p0520151066 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: infolurker

You think indoctrination stops at high school? that's funny. You know how many professors I've had that used their class as a soap box to spew opinionated BS that has nothing to do with the subject. I had to pay for those crap classes.

You don't seem to have considered the greater amount of time that young people really spend in the K-12 environment versus the sparse 4 years they spend earning a college degree.

Sure indoctrination doesn't stop after K-12, but that period of time is when its most effective and literally forms the core foundation that will shape these kids thought processes throughout the rest of their lives. Ideas like micro-aggression and regulated free speech are planted and pushed hardest on these kids when they are young, in the K-12 environment. Following that process of K-12 indoctrination, they then ENTER college believing such, without much alternative insight coming elsewhere before then.

Does college help these kids shake these ideas off, as adults? Sometimes, yes, many times, not. But make no mistake, they had these crazy ideas, LONG before they got onto college campuses. Think about it, 4 years of lackadaisical college course work, 3-4 days a week, for roughly 4-6 hours a days, is hardly enough time for indoctrination in the grand scheme of things, when compared to having 13 years of K-12 indoctrination, for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week.

This stuff is firmly planted in their heads during the K-12 years, when they have no choice on which teachers they want to take classes with. It just appears to happen during college the college years because that is a time when they are free to gravitate towards professors and classes that align with those beliefs formed during the K-12 years.

posted on Mar, 2 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
March 2, 2019

President Trump announced today that he's signing an Executive Order directed at all U.S. colleges and universities.

"Allow free speech on your college campus, or lose Federal research dollars".

Source: twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Kali74

From what little I can I find it was a study/survey of 800 people.

Hey, the FDA approves drugs based on studies with fewer participants than that, just sayin...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join