It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Report Urges End to 'Conversion' Therapy for LGBT Youth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: crazyewok

Isn't conversion therapy still legal in your country?

What a backwards place you live in.

Not in the sameway.

A lot of the worst techniques are banned.

Even so yes the UK needs to ban them outright. Mental abuse of kids is wrong.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
Pen is mightier than the sword

Says the guy who typed this:

It is all relative but if you expect me to believe that mental abuse is less of a problem than physical abuse then you would be failing.

Oh, Lord! Make up your mind! In one post you say physical abuse is worse than mental abuse and then turn around and say physical harm is not as bad as advocating for something.

I think you just like to argue and change your positions as the thread progresses. Maybe you should do some READING on the topic.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

It seems that way but you have to account for the micro and macro.

As a nation we could be indoctrinated using the pen but as a person I am more worried about my health than I am worried about what someone says to me.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tindalos2013

Gender identity crisis is a mental disorder and sexuality is a choice. These are truths that cannot be disputed and arguments against such facts are served only to force through political agendas by various groups wishing to social engineer for selfish gain.

It is funny how you came in here with this that has zero to do with the topic and want tor talk about agendas...

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

So I see things like this may be harmful, sam had to enter theraphy after conversion camp, but what are the abuses going on at these camps? Serious question. They waterboarding kids, forcing sex with opposite gender? What's the abuse aspect about? If the abuse is simply trying to change who someone is that might bring into question a lot of things.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

So I see things like this may be harmful, sam had to enter theraphy after conversion camp, but what are the abuses going on at these camps? Serious question. They waterboarding kids, forcing sex with opposite gender? What's the abuse aspect about? If the abuse is simply trying to change who someone is that might bring into question a lot of things.

Read this story:

A jury decided against a Jewish group that promotes so-called ‘gay conversion therapy’ in a landmark fraud case that could have a wide-ranging impact on the controversial anti-gay practice

Unger described another group therapy session where the boys were told that their close relationships with their mothers had played an integral role in turning them gay. Unger was then instructed to reimagine a pillow in the therapy room as his mother, and to then beat that pillow as hard as he possibly could with a tennis racket, according to court documents. Read more: forward.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Your mental health is a part of your health, verbal abuse of others causes the victim to produce cortisol:

"When we receive compliments (or, the "good stuff"), we produce oxytocin — a feel good (or more specifically trust/bonding) hormone.

When we receive insults (or, the "bad stuff"), we produce cortisol — a feel bad stress hormone.

Our body metabolizes each of these hormones differently though. Cortisol lasts longer. It shuts down our ability to really think things through. Instead, we are in "protect me" mode, which can result in fearing more criticism or insult, thus creating even more cortisol. Oxytocin, on the other hand, peters out quickly so we aren't as impacted by its effects." - HappyCortex.com

Cortisol messes up the brain and its ability to remember things and think things through clearly.

It may not be illegal to speak to people with unkindness and condemnation, but it's still a part of ethics which keeps the peace in society.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

what are the abuses going on at these camps?

There's a video in the OP of a kid who was tortured. Did you watch it? I can't believe someone would read about this and ask that question!

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

There's a video in the OP of a kid who was tortured. Did you watch it? I can't believe someone would read about this and ask that question!

I haven't seen torture as I would define it so I asked. Guess we have two different thoughts of what torture is.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
a reply to: deadeyedick

Your mental health is a part of your health, verbal abuse of others causes the victim to produce cortisol:

"When we receive compliments (or, the "good stuff"), we produce oxytocin — a feel good (or more specifically trust/bonding) hormone.

When we receive insults (or, the "bad stuff"), we produce cortisol — a feel bad stress hormone.

Our body metabolizes each of these hormones differently though. Cortisol lasts longer. It shuts down our ability to really think things through. Instead, we are in "protect me" mode, which can result in fearing more criticism or insult, thus creating even more cortisol. Oxytocin, on the other hand, peters out quickly so we aren't as impacted by its effects." - HappyCortex.com

Cortisol messes up the brain and its ability to remember things and think things through clearly.

It may not be illegal to speak to people with unkindness and condemnation, but it's still a part of ethics which keeps the peace in society.

not in the context I was using the word health to refer to the physical.

I get your point but I was referring to physical vs mental

you can yell and verbally mistreat me all day and I can cope with it but the minute you slash at my skin with a knife then things get real.
I can deal with cortisol but a loss of blood really gets me down.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tindalos2013
?Does this mean that those with less Xq28 have a greater choice as whom they feel most attracted to.

No it doesn't. It means that people with Xq28 have a higher disposition to being gay. Hence people with less Xq28 would have a greater disposition to being straight. At no point is the word "choice" even presented in that study. You are reading the study like the greater the Xq28 in a person, the less the person's ability to choose their sexual orientation. First, IF that were true, then that would mean that people's base sexual orientation is to be homosexual not heterosexual, and I KNOW you don't agree with that. Second don't read too far into a study. Only interpret the evidence that is given; don't make assumptions about things that are unproven.

link   

originally posted by: Annee

Read this story:

A jury decided against a Jewish group that promotes so-called ‘gay conversion therapy’ in a landmark fraud case that could have a wide-ranging impact on the controversial anti-gay practice

Unger described another group therapy session where the boys were told that their close relationships with their mothers had played an integral role in turning them gay. Unger was then instructed to reimagine a pillow in the therapy room as his mother, and to then beat that pillow as hard as he possibly could with a tennis racket, according to court documents. Read more: forward.com...

Ok, screwy but not something I would define as torture. Guess we have different views of what torture is, but thanks for additional story.

link   

I haven't seen torture as I would define it so I asked. Guess we have two different thoughts of what torture is.

You watched that video all the way through and don't think that's torture?

Are you kidding?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

oh noes not the pillow is mommy trick

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Read this story:

Ok, screwy but not something I would define as torture. Guess we have different views of what torture is, but thanks for additional story.

At a complete loss of comment.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

you can yell and verbally mistreat me all day and I can cope with it but the minute you slash at my skin with a knife then things get real.
I can deal with cortisol but a loss of blood really gets me down.

Well, not everyone is an internet tough guy and verbal abuse affects some of them in a very adverse way.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

oh noes not the pillow is mommy trick

No comment.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

You watched that video all the way through and don't think that's torture?

Are you kidding?

Sounds like less than what the average person who trains in any heavy fight style or even my own kids taking mma training when they were younger. Any lawsuits from this or we just have one story?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Read this story:

At a complete loss of comment.

Don't feel bad, happens all the time. I have a gift.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'd like to know what ever happened to unconditional love between Parents and their Children?

It seems in these cases, only if the kids live their lives exactly the way their parents demand.

That is anything but unconditional.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join