It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lonely Duck pics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
After long last, I've got pics of the lonely duck mentioned in this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Here's the little stinker:

His chicken girlfriend is behind him. Aren't they cute?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I just raised 2 ducks from egg this summer and lemme tell you, I will never ever do that again.
They grew so fast I was constantly having to expand their brooder and they were super messy with their water.
I hand raised them, picked them up everyday, talked to them, hand fed them and guess what? They act like they are afraid of me still, full grown and they act like they have never seen a human! Completely ungrateful ducks.

I named them Walt and Jessie.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

That's just how my friend's duck acts. Oh, he'll come waddling up when there's food but runs any other time.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I don't think a duck can unlearn their instinct to avoid predators.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Here's a pic of the little asshats.

That's their dad to the left, but since I incubated them he does not know that's his daughters and he seems to want to mate with them a lot. Its SO wrong but who can I call and report the abuse to?
edit on 10-8-2015 by bananashooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

I don't think they can, either. Then again, I knew somebody who had a duck that thought he was a dog. That duck would follow him everywhere.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Ducks are very social animals. Little guy probably quacks to her, despite that he may know she isn't a duck, trying to communicate. Yes, very cute.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Are they mallards? They look like mallards but I don't see the green heads. They look like pretty ducks.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

He does quack to her. If she's out of his sight he quacks up a storm. She comes waddling over to him, too. They're almost always together. If the rooster (or anything really) comes up he gets between her and whatever it is.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Yeah I think they're domestic mallards, the one to the left had a green head but this year it seemed to turn brown. He is like 8 years old though, so maybe that is the equivalent of grey hair for him?

I had one other pair but they flew south like 3 times and the 3rd time they didn't come back.

It was pretty wild they came back for two summers though, even went into the house at night like they were in captivity again.
edit on 10-8-2015 by bananashooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Oh, ducks are so cute! Thanks guys for the pics!

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

It must be like gray hair then. I didn't know they changed.

The one here doesn't fly. I don't know if they breed them that way or what. That's funny how they came back. Too bad they didn't that last time.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
These are the chickens I did the same time in the incubator.
These guys are legit, super friendly, grateful you know?
I got lucky too, only one rooster.

They are the same age as the ducks and the ducks are already laying eggs, I think 8 weeks old which seems real early considering the internet said 14-16 weeks.

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Those are nice looking chickens. The black ones almost look like big crows. My friend has a black hen. Some of her feathers look iridescent green when the light hits them.
You did luck out with just one rooster. My friends have three. One is much older than the other two and dominates them for all he's worth. He's also mean and attacks people. He was actually nice until the two other roosters came along.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

He does quack to her. If she's out of his sight he quacks up a storm. She comes waddling over to him, too. They're almost always together. If the rooster (or anything really) comes up he gets between her and whatever it is.

Aww, too cute. He seems aware that the rooster is a male. As male ducks will protect females from other males, hmm, maybe he does see her as a duck... of sorts.

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

It's funny. The rooster comes close and he starts quacking like crazy. Now, when the hen is off a ways the duck will hang out with the rooster with no problem. He just doesn't like him around his hen.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Hey Skid !

Bloody ducks !

I regularly need to do emergency low speed stops - due to families of ducks crossing a major regional road.

The ducklings invariably cannot make the commitment to follow the parents, resulting in nervous back and forth - finally being gathered up by an also flustered parent.

Whilst we wait patiently ...

Much like us in a way.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

That reminds me of a road in Oklahoma. There are ponds on either side of it and ducks love them. They cross the road from one pond to the other so often that they had to put up a "duck crossing" sign. It's sure to hold up traffic a few times a day.

join