It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special oxygen masked used by First Responders to save dogs and cats

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I stumbled across this story during my daily viewing of favorite sites. I didn't know this equipment was available, and it's use can save the lives of pets many consider family. I have read articles of FD use of oxygen masks made for humans used to revive pets, but this device brings it to a whole new level.

thechive.com...

The company that produces the mask: www.facebook.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
If they get there in time. Something I learned from a vet one time is use an oxygen tent made from a large garbage sack.

A friend had a boa constrictor in an aquarium and used an old water bed heating pad to warm the bottom. One day the aquarium was filled with smoke and the vet said, put it in a bag with oxygen piped in for a while.

They do this for pets in a fire. At emergency vet hospitals, they have oxygen tanks for pets who are suffering from smoke inhalation. The first 24 hours are critical because even though the pet is rescued from a burning building and resuscitated, the damaged tissues in the lungs begin to form liquid and the pet may drown in its own fluids. Keeping them in an oxygen rich environment for twenty four hours alleviates oxygen depletion, giving them time to recuperate and maybe survive.

The snake lived too. We had an oxygen bottle used for old people and hissed that at low pressure into the bag and it survived.

I don't know about other accidents that a pet may need oxygen, but the bag approach is a good one, the pet may panic if a mask is used and resist, try to bite, whatever. In a dark garbage sack or oxygen tank they can relax and breathe normally.

Old trick, thanks for letting me vet it.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Thanks for passing on your info. For those of use that love our pets, many sorely lack first aid for animals. I asked my Vet about teaching a class about the basics, and he seemed to respond in a positive manner. Nothing too extensive, IMO, as it may put a dent in his business!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
YES! I just heard about these devices last winter. The local Ladies' League used their "Chocolate Everywhere!" fund raiser proceeds to buy a dozen or so of these masks for our volunteer fire departments. The local Humane Society is presently raising funds for the city fire department I believe.
Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
YES! I just heard about these devices last winter. The local Ladies' League used their "Chocolate Everywhere!" fund raiser proceeds to buy a dozen or so of these masks for our volunteer fire departments. The local Humane Society is presently raising funds for the city fire department I believe.
Thanks for posting.

You have just made my day. This was my first thread, and after 2 other duds, I resigned myself to "commenting status" only! I will not initiate another thread till I get my feet on firmer ground, being somewhat new to ATS.

Thanks again!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://eskipaper.com/images/images-4.jpg[/atsimg]

join