It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keeping felons from earning a living doesn't make us safer, only poorer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24
a reply to: thesaneone

All I know, where I am from I never had to have a background check for any job I applied for before 9/11!
BUT after 9/11 ! EVERY JOB I applied for I had to have one. Your right you are special!!

lol okay.

All I know, where I am from I always had to have a background check for most of my jobs I applied for way before 9/11! And damn right I'm special.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I'm a violent felon but I never did prison time I only served a few short months and was released back into society.

I know who not to get mad...

I understand what felons have to go up against, because I myself had problems that stopped me from getting hired for almost three years, but as you said thank's to friends and family things turned around for me.

How long after should I continue to serve a sentence?

In the eyes of some...forever.

And that is truly sad, because although someone has done something in their past it shouldn't be used against them in the future.

Good luck and remember you have seen the bottom...the only way to go now is up.

edit on 7-6-2015 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Couldn't hurt a fly these days! Unless of course your in the ring with me! But I'm still kind of a wuss then these days too.

I have it better than a lot of other people, very blessed.

I see that as a reason to be passionate about this subject.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

as an employer that doesn't hire felons, i can tell you this: remove the discount our General LIability Insurance provider gives us for performing background checks and not hiring anyone with a felony, and I'd be more than happy to hire felons that have the right story.

The best maintenance guy i ever had work for me was released from San Q after 18 years for killing someone. I didn't hire the guy, he was there when I took over. But he was fantastic. He really knew how to keep documentation in line to cover our ass. And I would hire him in a heartbeat if it wasn't for my current company's GL insurance.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Wow that's crazy I have to look into that.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I imagine stopping felons gaining employment is rather counterproductive to them re entering mainstream sociaty simply because if they cannot find a suitable job they will most lightly return to crime.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Of course it is.

I don't think having 17 million people running around America with nothing to do fresh out of jail is very productive for society in general.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Having a personal amount of marijuana in a certain state a lil over decade ago was a felony, so I have one and it's "technically" and "legally" a felony drug charge on my record, even though now possessing the same amount is a misdemeanor at worst, and usually either a warning or a civil ticket (legal if you have a medical card). This same state doesn't allow record expungement, only "set aside" status. It has hindered me since. Good jobs background check and usually use a HR department or company for hiring, a felony, especially drug related, usually ends up in a phone call saying "we're sorry, this position has been filled, thank you for applying".

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

<< 1   >>

join