It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana law Allows Police To Ticket Drivers Who Don't Pull Over For Speeders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
What do you all think about this ?
chicago.cbslocal.com...
edit on 26-5-2015 by DEANORULES24 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DEANORULES24

You could start by telling use what you think of this to spark discussion.

It's always been like this in Indiana in one form or another. Most people know (or should know) you're not supposed to drive slow in the passing lane. I've seen police turn their lights on and force people over into the slow lane when they were driving slow in the passing lane.

On top of that, it's a common courtesy to move over and get out of the way of faster traffic anyway. So, I am happy for this law.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It's a tax on the elderly!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_
On top of that, it's a common courtesy to move over and get out of the way of faster traffic anyway.

Agreed. I would like to read the actual law, though, instead of someone's interpretation of it.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

I thought it was great! I been stuck behind behind drivers not even doing the speed limit a lot of times.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DEANORULES24

There was only two things people did on the road when I was a delivery driver that completely infuriated me. First one was hitting the breaks for no good reason, second was driving in the fast lane when there not overtaking!

Its those fools who don't know how to drive or follow basic road rules that cause traffic jams on the freeway in the first place. How hard is it? Stay off the breaks and stay out of the right (left in the US) lane unless overtaking.

Honestly, a $500 fine isn't enough, it should be automatic loss of licence and a mandatory course on showing some consideration for other road users.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
As someone who has driven overseas as well as in the United States I can say that one of the things most western Europeans do well is cede the fast lane to overtaking traffic.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It's called a passing lane for a reason. Many states have laws like this. In fact, some states even have laws prohibiting the use of "the passing lane" for anything other than passing other cars (ie you can't hang out indefinitely in the left lane).

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I wish they would do this in NY.

Do you have a problem with this rule of the road?

Are you one that just rides in the left lane and makes people illegally pass on the right?

Hard to guess since you didn't put your opinion in your OP.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Meh, left lane bandits can take a walk. Including PACE cars. I didn't read your link but I can guess it pretty much has to do with British Columbia up here in the North ticketing left lane hogs finally. While some of you left lane hogs (whom never check their mirrors) may moan and complain, calling it a right for speeders blah blah blah, but in all factual realities, your driver's policies no matter where you are, are pretty much the same as every where else. It states somewhere under some subsection heading, something to the effect of "stay right unless to pass". But oh noooooes, "we're driving the speed limit, so anyone passing me is speeding" !!! fist shaking in the air. Fine, then just get the hell out of the way, stay to the right and you won't have any problems . Mmmmkay?

This is one topic that always gets me hot. And middle lane drivers, don't get me started.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: _BoneZ_

originally posted by: DEANORULES24

You could start by telling use what you think of this to spark discussion.

It's always been like this in Indiana in one form or another. Most people know (or should know) you're not supposed to drive slow in the passing lane. I've seen police turn their lights on and force people over into the slow lane when they were driving slow in the passing lane.

On top of that, it's a common courtesy to move over and get out of the way of faster traffic anyway. So, I am happy for this law.

Even if you are driving the speed limit, you can't obstruct the flow of traffic.

So you just need to follow the rules and use the left knew for passing, and the right lane for cruising.

I agree, good law!!!!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Nothing is more dangerous than a driver sitting in the left lane or middle lanes not going with the flow of traffic. It disrupts the flow of traffic causing traffic jams and unnecessary lane changes for drivers trying to get around. I think the death penalty is warranted for those same slow drivers who then try to speed up when they see you trying to pass...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Good. People that take up the left lane for no reason are dangerous. Pay attention to the cars behind you, if someone wants to pass, let them.

Even if speeders are technically breaking the rules, it's far better to avoid accidents and just stay in a lane that's traveling the speed you want to go. Passing on the right is dangerous. There is no need for you to be in the left lane if you're doing 60.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

That happens to be I-78 in my home state of New Jersey and I can tell you that I have seen the State Troopers ride someone's ass like that if they do not move over.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Hum! Think about that, would a cop chasing the speeder break off the chase to arrest a person actually obeying the posted limit?

Such a silly law. Evidently some high officials in the state have been deterred from speeding back and forth in during their business of public good and have felt the need to punish the law-abiding that get in their way.

Maybe Hillary is still blasting back and forth around the mid-west still at 95mph and those officials want to help her (and themselves) with a little grease on the wheel. That was such a good example that she set, so typical too. I was surprised that there was evidently little outrage.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
We need I agree the text of the actual law, which the article fails to give.

Where I live, you aren't supposed to drive in the passing plane unless passing, to prevent the issue of slower drivers blocking faster ones. That seems to be what this law is for, not to ticket non-speeders.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: newWorldSamurai
It's a tax on the elderly!

GOOD theyre terrible and dangerous drivers anyways and should be forced to only be able to use autonomous vehicles, they road rage, and as a longboarder, theyve been the biggest danger next too dickhead moms texting and rolling stops on pedestrian first lanes.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
We have a similar law in GA, thank God.

Admittedly, I drive FAST. I live an hour + away from work (with no traffic), and usually work upwards of 15 hours a day, but nothing pisses me off more when these people are going the speed limit or less int he fast lane and will not get over, even when there is a line of cars a half a mile behind them.

I've even has some jerks hit their brakes and motion for me to go around them when they're the ones creating A) a hazardous condition and B) holding up the normal flow of traffic.

As for me, if I'm in the fast lane at a normal speed and someone comes up behind me, yes I'll even speed up just to get over.

Of course, most of the people who refuse to get over are either oblivious on their cell phones or just don't give a damn.

So this law is not necessarily about giving free reign to speeders but about traffic flow and, yes, safety: safety insofar as it's more dangerous for people to weave in and out of traffic when jerks won't create a lane by merging over (within reason) .

top topics

join