It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi blogger receives first 50 lashes of sentence for 'insulting Islam'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

People go to prison committing a crime... the guy in the OP didn't commit any offense worthy of the punishment! (well only according to Sharia) but seriously is writing a blog such a travesty?

No one in Western World would go to prison for that, it's called 'Freedom' and 'Freedom Of Speech' which is what we are protesting about.
edit on CSTSun, 11 Jan 2015 12:05:46 -0600u3112x046x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: LittleByLittle

That is one way to put it.

My reasoning is if you take out the bad apples and place them within a basket of their own, you should be left with all the good apples in a new basket!

The trouble is that part of the bad apples from my point of view is the corrupt House of Saud that controls Saudi Arabia and Mecca. And US is part of the problem with their connection to Saudi Arabia caused by greed and Petrodollar control over the world.

I do not like Sharia since it is not a good system to create equality and therefor causes suffering and puts power in the hands of corrupt priests and leaders saying they have mandate from god. I do agree with sharia that usury is an insane thing and should not be tolerated in a equal society since it creates insane greed that is not good for societies. I think that females should have the same rights and responsability as men.
edit on 11-1-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I'm not saying that, although I can see how it may have seemed the implication.

Like I said earlier Saudi Arabia is as backwards as you can get...

But people know this...
Especially the residents who understand the Law...

That is a Lawful offence in Saudi Arabia...

So it can be expected that they would deliver what they call punishment for the "affront"...

So should he have refrained while in Saudi Arabia, rather than break the Law, I think he should have...

Should he have expressed himself freely, yes he should, but that is not a Country whose Law allows such...

Make the blog in America & he'd get away with it...

Do you agree with every imprisonable offence in the States?

Probably not.

Do you accept that it is the Law & refrain?

You're here and not in prison, so I'm guessing you do!

Not advocating, or empathising, just making it clear what I meant.

edit on 11-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

I am growing tired of this blind bigotry. .

You're tired? Get over it. At least nobody is coming to kill you because it doesn't think the same as you. Opinions don't kill. They're personal and remain as such. You have a choice to skip it, not read it, ignore it...At the end you're safe and sound, alive and prospering.

Canada (my lovely country) is really a great country.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

He is a beautiful young man, intelligent and aware. How can his family or anyone stand by and allow Bullies to abuse them and their children?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Under Saudi-Arabian law, he did commit an offence. You not agreeing with their laws, does not illigitimize (probably not spelled right) them. Their laws apply to their country, and the blogger was in their country and so subject to their laws.

I don't agree with Saudi laws myself, but I do recognise that they are a country subject to the laws they make for themselves, and while in their country, you should obey their laws, even if you disagree with them, lest you get punished. The blogger was well aware of the laws, and chose to break them, he should now accept the consequences of his own actions.

Maybe the publicity will lead to the laws being changed, and that would be a good thing, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So sad that he and others like him were not able to express themselves freely.

HOWEVER TA-DA!
There appears to be a brand new solution for online people living in repressed regimes: Announced a couple of days ago

“Canada believes that by harnessing new digital technologies to support freedom and democracy we can help give a voice to the voiceless,” said Minister Baird. “Through the Digital Public Square project, the Munk School of Global Affairs will create open digital spaces to enable citizens to hold their governments to account in defending freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law.”

Through the word of ex-pats, bloggers will be able to post their information in supposed safety. Let's hope and pray it is successful and prevents such atrocious punishments as discussed in this thread.

Link

edit on 11-1-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010 Christians and not violent, Jews are not violent, Buddhist are not violent. Catholics are not violent. Most the worlds religious populations are not violent. The only active religion that is, is Islam. You do not see others actively going about killing people simply because they do not belong to one religion or another. Only ones doing that are Islam.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Sounds great!

Maybe it will work and those people doing the Oppressing will be the ones getting whipped.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
There is a movement growing on Twitter on the Amnesty International's account here

The flogging of Raif Badawi is a vicious act of cruelty which is prohibited under international law. By ignoring international calls to cancel the flogging Saudi Arabia’s authorities have demonstrated an abhorrent disregard for the most basic human rights principles

Said Boumedouha, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director

A touching video by his little boy as he writes to his dad is difficult for me to watch.

Although Raif Badawi is not a citizen of Canada, The Foreign Affairs Department is speaking up in his case, as his wife and children escaped to Canada in late October. There is a real fear that he would not survive 1000 lashes.

There is to be a demonstration about this later today in Montreal.

Saudi Arabia attended the Paris demonstration, yet it jails and flogs one of its citizens for speaking out.

The USA is calling for abolition of the sentence.

** Let's not forget about Raif Badawi. **

Raif Badawi flogging: Canada criticizes Saudi blogger's sentence

Flogging of Raif Badawi in Saudi Arabia 'vicous act of cruelty'

Saudi Arabian rights activist reportedly flogged despite international outcry

Headlines added to this Yahoo Search page found here
edit on 13-1-2015 by aboutface because: added links

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Well done. I starred your post!

I think eventually this cruelty will stop as more and more people get to know about it and it's put out on the WWW for everyone to see.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Just heard television host say that today is his 31st birthday. There was a small demonstration for him. Congratulations to those who braved the minus 23 degree weather, not counting the wind chill.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
The problem is not Islam, the problem is Saudi-Arabia

This kind of thing does not happen in Indonesia or Turkey for example, both of which are huge Muslim countries.

Google is your friend.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Things that happen in countries where the CIA has a stake. Hmmmmm.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Yeah... bloody el. How anyone can post a comment stating that it doesn't happen in certain arts of the World, I'll never know.

That list you just provided is proof enough.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
just posting an update to the situation. It seems the Saudis ay be being pressured into a more lenient stance on the matter:

news.sky.com...

The flogging of writer Raif Badawi has been postponed on medical grounds, Amnesty International has said. Badawi, who was flogged 50 times in public a week ago by a Saudi Interior Ministry official, was due to face the same punishment every Friday until he had received 1,000 lashes, followed by 10 years in pri

The day before Badawi was due to receive his second beating, the UN human rights chief urged the Saudi king to pardon him and review the "cruel" penalty of flogging.

1 years inside for writing a blog?? wow! Way too over the top.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join