It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola scare shuts down building at Southwestern College

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Reports that a student at Southwestern College came in contact with someone on the same flight as Texas nurse Amber Vinson caused a classroom building at the school to be shut down Thursday.

School police Chief Michael Cash said a nurse was with the student, who was "OK." School officials were taking the incident seriously, he said. "Our school is still open," Cash said. "We're still holding classes."

It happened just before 10 a.m. in the 470 building at the campus located in the 900 block of Otay Lakes Road.

All students and staff in class with the student and in the class following have been quarantined, according to Anna Pryor, editor-in-chief of the college's newspaper, The Sun. Reportedly, about 20 students have been quarantine.

Ebola scare shuts down building at Southwestern College

I hope this turns out to be nothing, and suspect it will not be ebola. Welcome to modern America, where everyone lives in fear of Ebola until Science beats Ebola, or Ebola beats us all!

Scarey, I think a lot of what is being proven is that we can not contain it, we are going to have to count on it not spreading by luck unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
My sister goes to school there and it is also LITERALLY across the street from Bonita Vista High School. I'll see if she knows or has heard anything. SWC is in east Chula Vista, CA in San Diego county.

I just spoke to her, she doesn't have classes today but also hasn't been notified of anything.
edit on 16-10-2014 by BunnyMars because: Update

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BunnyMars
He was on the plane with Amber Vinson... It could be true who knows.

edit on 16-10-2014 by Vaedur because: Reread article and fixed my statement

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well, if terrorists wanted to disrupt our transportation system or any other system for that matter all they would have to do now is insert themselves into a mass of people and claim that they might have Ebola. We are certainly living in an age of fear and stupidity.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
My buddy with the San Diego County Sheriffs Department say it has been confirmed. They are taking the necessary steps. This is really crazy... I only can think how many people were infected at the airport and to and from.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparky63

"Ebola Bomb!'

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Sometimes ATS makes me want to throw my iPad across the room because sorting through the bs is frustrating at times, but it's moments like this that directly affect my life and my family that remind me why I love it here. a reply to: Vaedur

edit on 16-10-2014 by BunnyMars because: Meh

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: spartaocean

Thanks for confirming it.

First of all, they should have had proper protocols in place to handle the first patient. Second of all, she should have never flown. And they should close the African borders.

I know they want this to spread and it is indeed, but false alarms, quarantines and visits from people in HAZMAT suits will all end if they'd close the borders.

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well this story says that is NOT true:

Southwestern College said an Ebola scare that caused a classroom building to be cordoned off Thursday morning turned out to be without merit and officials are reopening classrooms.

A student who reported to a faculty member that she had missed classes because her sister was hospitalized with flu-like symptoms after flying last week prompted the 470 building to be closed off for several hours.

College spokeswoman Lillian Leopold said the student was not exhibiting flu-like symptoms and was thoroughly examined by a college nurse.

Leopold said the classroom was cordoned off in "an abundance of caution" after the student told a faculty member she had flown to the Midwest last week and that her sister was in the hospital.

"Our campus nurse has thoroughly examined the student and there's no expectation of Ebola," Leopold said.

Linky

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

What is your buddy confirming?? That a student did have contact with someone who was on that flight?? Were any of these two suffering from fevers or symptoms of any sort?? While i def believe diligence should be shown, contact with someone who had contact with no symptoms doesn't sound news worthy. I am very glad higher ups are taking this horrible virus much more seriously. Still boggles my mind that flights are coming out of west Africa at this point in time!! If i was a worker in the airline industry i would have to seriously consider talking to fellow workers about striking. Not just for my safety, but in an effort to stop flights from west Africa

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: GrantedBail

Thanks for the update, def better to be safe then sorry with this nasty virus, especially since our leaders seem to be welcoming it with open arms!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Confirmed he was on the plane? Confirmed he is sick? What was confirmed?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Ebola is no more likely to cause societal collapse than an unwarranted fear of social collapse by Ebola.

top topics

join