It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chairman of U.S. Joint Chiefs on Ebola: "I'm worried about it because we know so little"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
General Martin Dempsey speaking to CNN's Kyra Phillips:

Dempsey alarmed about Ebola months ago

The Chairman said he has been concerned about Ebola as a global threat for at least 90 days.

"I'm worried about it because we know so little about (Ebola)," he said, adding that his worry is stoked by seemingly conflicting information about how the virus can be spread.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said that the deadly virus, which originated in Africa, can be passed only through direct contact with bodily fluids when a person suffering from it exhibits symptoms.

"If you bring two doctors who happen to have that specialty into a room, one will say, 'No there is no way it will ever become airborne, but it could mutate so it could be harder to discover,' " and another might say something completely different, Dempsey said.

He said he is alarmed by the World Health Organization's warning that Ebola cases could increase and the virus could mutate.

"Then it will be an extraordinarily serious problem," he said. "I don't know who is right. I don't want to take that chance, so I am taking it very seriously."

www.wbaltv.com...

I'm heartened to see this. IMHO we are sorely lacking determined, competent leadership in dealing with this, consequently we are playing catch up and scrambling.

That gives Ebola the edge.

We cannot presume or assume anything when it comes to stopping this virus - we have to be SURE. What this situation demands is proactive, over-preparedness, abundant, redundant caution, I want a bullet to kill Ebola, not a fly--swatter.

We are a first world nation, we went to the freaking moon for goodness sakes! We should be able to do this if we cooperate and put everything into it.

I know it's a conspiracy nightmare, but given the bungling we have seen, would it better if the military handled the Ebola situation in the U.S.? We know the National Guard did a good job in setting things right after Katrina, do they need to be in charge of contact tracing and quarantining for Ebola?

CNN reported that, logistically speaking, there are only 10 beds total in the U.S. for managing Ebola safely. We are already at 2, possibly many more since we know 70+ HCWs dealt with Duncan in less than ideal hazmat situations. Plus the 130= plus people possibly exposed on the Frontier flight. Would it be better if the military handled Ebola patients in designated places rather than hospitals?

I'm not sure and would like to hear the arguments pro or con.

edit on 10/15/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I hope some ostriches that have their heads in the sand read his words.

If he is alarmed, I think that is worrisome.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Generals should stick to the war they know and leave Ebola to the Medical profession.

It doesn't spread like the common cold, yet.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I'm worried that the USG or another sovereign has weaponized the virus and turned it loose on US soil for a purpose.

Otherwise, we know a lot about standard Ebola. It's been studied in labs and in the field for a long time. Standard Ebola is not that contagious and fragile (short lived) on surfaces. There is virtually no way to catch the virus from a random person on a plane with 99.5 fever. Even saliva has been demonstrated to contain low quantities of the virus unless the person is fully involved and syptomatic. 99.5 Fever would be in the early stages of the infection.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

remember, I said standard Ebola. as in the three known strains.
more info
edit on 15-10-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I edited some thoughts before seeing your reply.

I really don't know..I used to think the same as you, until I saw how medical professionals are handling it. This situation calls for decisive control, exactness, regimentation - not bureaucracy. There is simply no room for error.

Just do the math. One patient has so far infected at least two, if not more. That's unsustainable. Have you seen the anticipated rate of infection? The health care system will collapse, if not from lack of faith in it, then because simply no one will be willing to work in it.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'm heartened too! I loved hearing SOMEONE in an official capacity admit how little we really know about this. He also mentioned that you could have two doctors who would give you two opinions on the contractability of the virus.

Honesty...it's such a better policy than pussy-footing around the facts.

There's nothing wrong with trying to maintain a calmness...but not at the risk of preventing the truth from reaching those in harm's way. (Umm...and that would be US...the American people.)
edit on 15-10-2014 by Jansy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Exactly..

"Facts" about this virus are subject to change. Im baffled every time I read a post stating how this virus works, incubation period, contact only, possible airborne and so on...

The fact is... WE DONT KNOW.

I would rather be safe than sorry so if they say currently 21 days for quarantine.. im doubling it.

If they say one cant get it from being in same room... i will not be in same room if I know someone has it.

Im not.in freak out mode but im definitely alert and will remain on alert until this hype and or virus chills out.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Well, Mr. Joint Chief... Have you made any commotion about the continued importation of likely cases via air travel???

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Let's put this Ebola outbreak into perspective.

Facts:
1)The populations of Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone are respectively 4.3 millions, 11.75 millions, 6.1 millions. Total combined population is roughly: 22.15 millions.
2)In these three countries where most of the Ebola victims have been identified, 8000 have been diagnosed and 4500 have died.
3)The populations of these three countries live in densely populated area, and lack adequate sewage systems in their neighborhoods, sometimes running water. Their healthcare systems are primitive at best. Their populations are exposed to infected CORPSES lying in street, infected family members and neighbors.
4)Mortality rate has increased from 50% to 70%.

Analysis:

1)Even so we see a tiny fraction of .036% of the population getting infected and half of that dead over an 11 months outbreak.
2)So even living in these impoverished countries, your chance of dying from Ebola is minuscule in an 11 months period. Where are the millions of dead African???
3)With superior healthcare system, advanced sewage system in the US and Europe, the rate of infection and death should be VERY, VERY SMALL. There will be NO outbreak in USA or Europe.
4)TPTB has tried to scare the public again by announcing that the mortality rate has increased from 50% to 70%. This in fact is GREAT NEWS. It means that the virus has mutated into a dead end. For any parasitic organism, killing the host is a bad mutation. The higher the mortality rate the LESS likely it is for a person to be an ASYMPTOMATIC CARRIER. (Basic high school biology)
Repeat, this is a dead end mutation. This is GREAT NEWS.

Ebola doesn't look so fearsome after facts are examined, is it?

The real threat is the suspension of laws, civil rights, and grabbing of power by scaring the bejesus out of the population. Case in point: Connecticut. Everyone should be wary of this fear mongering. Everyday: ISIS, Ebola, ISIS, Ebola every fives minutes on TV. The real fear should be directed at The Power That Be.

Possible scenarios using Ebola fear mongering:
1)Crash market and bankers steal more money.
2)Escalate Syrian war.
3)Pass laws to clamp down internet.
4)Elect a traitor, globalist puppet as president of USSA.

Be brave. Don't be afraid.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Generals should stick to the war they know and leave Ebola to the Medical profession.

It doesn't spread like the common cold, yet.

Who do you think does more work on level 4 virus' than anyone else on the planet? The military. The army has a group that plays with that stuff all day.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Today, after hearing about more snafus, I'm in favor of anything that will quickly get control of Ebola. This whole situation reminds me of SNAKES ON A PLANE, but the plane is the US.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hithe Merinos
Let's put this Ebola outbreak into perspective.

Facts:
1)The populations of Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone are respectively 4.3 millions, 11.75 millions, 6.1 millions. Total combined population is roughly: 22.15 millions.
2)In these three countries where most of the Ebola victims have been identified, 8000 have been diagnosed and 4500 have died.
3)The populations of these three countries live in densely populated area, and lack adequate sewage systems in their neighborhoods, sometimes running water. Their healthcare systems are primitive at best. Their populations are exposed to infected CORPSES lying in street, infected family members and neighbors.
4)Mortality rate has increased from 50% to 70%.

Analysis:

1)Even so we see a tiny fraction of .036% of the population getting infected and half of that dead over an 11 months outbreak.
2)So even living in these impoverished countries, your chance of dying from Ebola is minuscule in an 11 months period. Where are the millions of dead African???
3)With superior healthcare system, advanced sewage system in the US and Europe, the rate of infection and death should be VERY, VERY SMALL. There will be NO outbreak in USA or Europe.
4)TPTB has tried to scare the public again by announcing that the mortality rate has increased from 50% to 70%. This in fact is GREAT NEWS. It means that the virus has mutated into a dead end. For any parasitic organism, killing the host is a bad mutation. The higher the mortality rate the LESS likely it is for a person to be an ASYMPTOMATIC CARRIER. (Basic high school biology)
Repeat, this is a dead end mutation. This is GREAT NEWS.

Ebola doesn't look so fearsome after facts are examined, is it?

The real threat is the suspension of laws, civil rights, and grabbing of power by scaring the bejesus out of the population. Case in point: Connecticut. Everyone should be wary of this fear mongering. Everyday: ISIS, Ebola, ISIS, Ebola every fives minutes on TV. The real fear should be directed at The Power That Be.

Possible scenarios using Ebola fear mongering:
1)Crash market and bankers steal more money.
2)Escalate Syrian war.
3)Pass laws to clamp down internet.
4)Elect a traitor, globalist puppet as president of USSA.

Be brave. Don't be afraid.

All valid points and they do put this perspective.

That being said I get a sense that our govt to further whatever agenda they have are using this for your aforementioned reasons.

I fear this glass yo yo is being spun down to further the agenda but whats happens if the string breaks and its all over the place?

One patient may potentially infect dozens, possibly more!

I hope Im wrong.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Hithe Merinos

Let me see if I have what you say straight.

Problem, reaction, solution?

Seems very likely, given what we have been told. For what purpose I would just be speculating but there are numerous options, as you have noted.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Or, it's not. And if, it's not, and we don't stem the tide, we could have a serious problem.

I get it, I really do.

But this may be one of those situations where the phrase "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know..." applies.

I guess, given the 60 to 90% death rate of Ebola, I might rather take my chances with Big Brother. Not sure yet.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I guess, given the 60 to 90% death rate of Ebola, I might rather take my chances with Big Brother. Not sure yet.

Think I'd rather go with ebola. Painful but quick whereas BB would reprogram me and keep me alive as more of a drone than I already am. Tough choice.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Who do you think does more work on level 4 virus' than anyone else on the planet? The military. The army has a group that plays with that stuff all day.

In the lab, yah. I meant more like who should deal with it, not understand it better. Besides the Militariys "fridge of horrors" is weaponized, mostly. Their study relates to that, mostly. Their drills are of an attack nature, mostly… not a civilian response.

Ebola is bad enough. Who wants a more Boston Marathon approach to quarantine?

Besides you, I mean?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Wow...an honest person among all the liars maybe?

Like I said in another thread, bringing all infected to one site (which would have preferably been at the point of origin in Africa) and then focusing all efforts on them there, with severely limited egress, would be more sane than the road they appear to be on, as in treating it in place wherever it pops up.

And who should do that is whoever is clearly capable of running such a mission. There are times put away the distrust (not a lot we can really do about that in reality) and work together, and this is one of them.

This is how it spreads...

Since the number of known cases so far is only around 7,500, that suggests that the number of new cases is doubling approximately every two weeks. This is called exponential growth: not 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... but 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32.... If you put one grain of wheat on the first square of a chess-board, two on the second, and keep doubling the grains every square, there are not enough grains of wheat in the world to get you to the 64th square. [Source]

It starts out slowly but once it gains momentum, all bets are off.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Fair enough....I think in general there is so much about it that isn't known and it is changing. In an unknown environment id take the military any day than doctors. The military doesn't care about costs as much as they care about winning...

Doctors have bosses that will complain about how much it is costing the hospital to treat crap. Their loyalty will always be in question in my opinion.

I bet eventually it even comes out that the hospital in Dallas was trying to cut corners and that is why they didn't have certain things...if not Dallas then another hospital.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

If its that serious the military will be called, probably too late. So you might be right. This scared the crap out of me.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The military being deployed to Africa is primarily engineering divisions, from what I've read so far, who will be putting up shelters/medical buildings and facilitating things like transport and supply management, which is probably what should have been done to begin with to contain the infected and focus all resources on them in place.

I'm not sure about what other kinds of military will be going there...not sure they're saying, but I assume some medical personnel as well.

top topics

join