It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Right.
Every generation claims it's going to change the world............
Pardon my cynicism.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

Right.
Pardon my cynicism.

And every generation does. Just not always in the way they expect.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

You would also know that I said no such thing - there is not a thing in this world that will prevent this country from falling apart at this point. There is no amount of effort that will pull it back out of the crapper. It is too far gone, it is doomed to go the way of the Roman Empire, and the barbarians are already at the gates of Rome.

I tend to agree with alot of what you say. And I think we've gone way too far to be able to change it but find myself hoping it can be changed nonviolently somehow.

If they fall into dependency lifestyle, they were doing their personal responsibility wrong - they gave it to someone else, and that kinda depersonalizes it. They need to try again.

History kind of teaches us differently doesn't it?? I mean women were force into dependent lifestyles for ages by laws and customs. The native americans were relocated away from their homes to environments that they weren't so hospitable to their lifestyles in order to force dependency onto them after it was found that they really made bad slaves (no fear of death!!). Africans were transported halfway around the world and sold as slaves in foreign lands they were ill equipped to live in.

We aren't in a capitalistic system anymore! If we were they would be no way in hades where NY City would have even thought of starting a loan program for couples who were earning $100,000 to help them with their childcare! By the way my family wouldn't have been qualified for the program we didn't earn enough money and yet we wouldn't have qualified for any other kind of help with our childcare either we would have been left out in the cold although our tax money would have been used for these loans if they failed to pay the money back! There's no way that a rat infested 4 bedroom apartment with sewage leaking from the pipes would have been rented out in syracuse NY in the 80's for $1000 bucks! Anyone who was earning enough to afford it would have opted for the nice 4 bedroom house that was rat free! Such things as these wouldn't be able to happen in an economic system that is based on capitalism! And, well, it wasn't that long ago I could buy corn for 12/$1.00 now it's what?? 2/$1.00? They say that outsourcing the jobs makes things cheaper but I have to tell ya I don't believe there were any $100+ shoes on the market in the 70's before all this outsourcing started! And well no one will ever be able to convince me that that fruit juice manufacturer in NY save any money (without the gov't tax credit that is) by shipping apple juice concentrate halfway around the world when they had plenty of apples in the area being picked by kids and migrant workers! There isn't any way!
The gov't just decided that if they want their manufacturing back well we need to get accustomed to living like the chinese and indians are now so well we have been are being conditioned to accept it. And well hate to tell you this but the people with the big guns and the power to write the laws will always win!

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

originally posted by: AK49erdss
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Yessss, my thoughts exactly. How does someone write a list like this up seriously, without reading it back and realizing "Hmmm people might not buy the notion that me and my generation are the best that ever was, just for existing." I just cant read it with a straight face. But yet again, these are the kids that all got trophies no matter how much they sucked at whatever they were doing.

Yes the trophies are the perfect example. I had forgotten all about that. Great point.

Hey!!! I seriously had a trophy in bowling from a Cub Scout league in the 70's that had as the trophy this kind of statue as the trophy

Of course it was in gold. We got it for finishing in Last Place. They should do that nowadays..... I vowed never to be stuck with 3 bowling losers on my team EVER!!!!!

For some reason they don't make this style trophy anymore, at least not one I could find in a quick search.

edit on 25-9-2014 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: AK49erdss

Yessss, my thoughts exactly. How does someone write a list like this up seriously, without reading it back and realizing "Hmmm people might not buy the notion that me and my generation are the best that ever was, just for existing." I just cant read it with a straight face. But yet again, these are the kids that all got trophies no matter how much they sucked at whatever they were doing.

Yes the trophies are the perfect example. I had forgotten all about that. Great point.

Hey!!! I seriously had a trophy in bowling from a Cub Scout league in the 70's that had as the trophy this kind of statue as the trophy

Of course it was in gold. We got it for finishing in Last Place. They should do that nowadays..... I vowed never to be stuck with 3 bowling losers on my team EVER!!!!!

For some reason they don't make this style trophy anymore, at least not one I could find in a quick search.

I understand this completely when I shot competitively I always said to my friends and competitors I wanted to beat them on their best day, not the day they had gun problems, bad ammo, were not prepared, or any excuses. I wouldn't say I hate losing I just like it very much. It's something that is missing in so many things today, the competitive spirit seems to be going away. It's what has always has driven this country to be better than any other. Glad you get and have it. Thanks

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows

Right.
Pardon my cynicism.

And every generation does. Just not always in the way they expect.

And not always for the better..

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Nope not for the better is right. This country has been on a gradual decline consistently since 1970.

I'm seriously competitive and trust me when I tell you it's not appreciated like it used to be especially in a working enviornment where they want wage slaves.
edit on 9/25/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Nope not for the better is right. This country has been on a gradual decline consistently since 1970.

I got out of highschool in ahem 1975 for me it was a great time, plenty of work always a wad of cash in my pocket, decent car, bought my first house at 19, and life was on it's way. My son is now 30 done well for himself turning homes with a group, him and a friend created. One has great credit, the rest put together the down and they flip it most of the time before the first payment. I am glad he works with both his hands and his head. There is something to be said for having the ability and tools to work with your hands as I have read you have. You should always have work. The are a million of every trade but only a handful of good tradesman.

I see from your post you are a smart individual, you should be busy on your way in life having work, making a buck a learning it isn't always about money, But how you create it looking yourself in the mirror in the morning, and enjoying those around you that are close.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

That we agree on.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: nenothtu

History kind of teaches us differently doesn't it??

No.

I mean women were force into dependent lifestyles for ages by laws and customs.

The only thing that forces anyone into anything is themselves - how far they are willing to go to maintain their independence.

The native americans were relocated away from their homes to environments that they weren't so hospitable to their lifestyles in order to force dependency onto them after it was found that they really made bad slaves (no fear of death!!).

Quite a lot of them weren't forced anywhere - they died where they stood, and that was the choice they made. It's how far they were willing to go to maintain their independence. The ones transported from Virginia and the Carolinas to the West Indies to be enslaved on sugar plantations died by the droves - they chose death over slavery, which, as you point out, made them really bad slaves (a slave ain't worth slaving if he won't give you your money's worth before he up and quits breathing), so the drive to enslave Indians was a failed experiment.

Africans were transported halfway around the world and sold as slaves in foreign lands they were ill equipped to live in.

Africans were sold as slaves in Africa - they were bought in the western hemisphere after having been enslaved at home by their own people. Oddly, they seemed to thrive here, and now their descendants make up a sizeable portion of the population. They seem to have been equipped just fine to live here. There is a lot to be said for versatility and being able to make it wherever you land.

We aren't in a capitalistic system anymore!

Agreed, we are not. We seem to be embroiled at the moment on a corporatist system, very, very close to a fascist system as defined by Mussolini, the Uber Fascist. It's probably something that needs to be seen to.

I know next to nothing about New York. I've never had any desire to even pass through there, much less alight long enough to find out how they live.

The gov't just decided that if they want their manufacturing back well we need to get accustomed to living like the chinese and indians are now so well we have been are being conditioned to accept it. And well hate to tell you this but the people with the big guns and the power to write the laws will always win!

They only win when their opponents give up. Until that happens, the contest is still being decided, and no one has won. I had big guns - but didn't always win. Laws are not worth the paper they are written on if they are universally ignored, and declaring a victory when you're still under fire is, well, just a bit premature.

edit on 2014/9/25 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   

This is only true if you abide by symmetric warfare. History is littered of cases where the ones with the smaller guns won. The weakness of big guns is that they seek to fight on a battlefield, they're large structures with supply lines and formations. Smaller guns are highly mobile and can focus on circumventing the troops all together.

Get a list of employees at a large bank, bankrupt them with cyber attacks. The company will fall. All without firing a shot.

Get a small group of people with a hitlist of high level bankers. Make one an example, leak the list as a warning to the rest. They will overspend on defense and bring about a collapse along with their own ruin.

If you've given up on the political process go after the companies, and just focus on making them lose money. Then they lose lobbying power.

I'm not advocating any of these things here but lets just say the time for talk is growing short. Soon actions will be the only options. I really don't want to see things come to that.

So I'll close on a happy thought, if armed pushback were to happen, how many of our homeless and lower class would wear suicide vests in order to change the system for their friends and family? It would be a lot.
edit on 25-9-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

That we agree on.

What no heartburn for me today Aaz? How is everything with you? Hows that back?

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

I know a lot of Millineal people, and I can say, lazy they are not. They are intelligent, aware, and have enough self respect that they aren't going to let a bunch of old people in suits with money dictate their values and lives.

Those "old people in suits with money" were hippies back in the sixties - and they weren't going to let a bunch of old people in suits with money dictate their values and lives, either.

Almost word-for word.

And the beat goes on. (hat tip to Sonny and Cher for that).

But they did change things, even if most of them sold out. They opened the doors, really.

And the world is far more different than it was in the 60's. Awareness of so much has increased. And younger generations have gotten the opportunity to see just what happens when you allow old people in suits and money to dictate things. The world is changing, and we are learning just how unproductive and unsustainable the old way of doing things is. And given the economic climate of today, things will not go back to the way they were. It's no longer possible.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

No heartburn today, I've expressed plenty of that in this thread already and we happen to agree on this point.

Everything with me is normal which is to say busy with midterms coming up. I've never been one to study a whole lot for tests, instead I learn the material as we go and avoid the need to cram but midterm projects take a lot of time.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   

No heartburn today, I've expressed plenty of that in this thread already and we happen to agree on this point.

Everything with me is normal which is to say busy with midterms coming up. I've never been one to study a whole lot for tests, instead I learn the material as we go and avoid the need to cram but midterm projects take a lot of time.

Good for you.. I never studied for a test either when I was a kid, you either know it or not from paying attention in class. Do well with your midterms you have what it takes to be successful at anything.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Rabb420

Try the oil fields. My oldest son is 26, [ started at 18 ] and has worked his way up to driller, making a 6 figure salary. He will be moving up to directional driller, which will be about another 40,000 per year. All with no college degree and no huge debt to pay off. It's damn hard work, long hours and 2 weeks at a time away from home. But, when he is home, he has the money to do what he wants, drives a new truck and still has plenty left in the bank. Oh and as a young man making a lot of money, he pretty much has his pick of some beautiful women who are looking for a man who isn't afraid of working for a living. The millennials can brag all they like, women aren't looking for a beach bum. They're looking for a man who'll work and provide for a family, not lay on the couch in their parents' basement, playing video games and whining about the future they don't have.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Millennial
« Generation Wuss » by Bret Easton Ellis

www.vanityfair.fr...

I don't necessarily agree with this article being I raised two millennials, and i think they are pretty good kids, and I also have two in their forties.

But I was very different with the millennials, sort of a helicopter parent

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

Millennial
« Generation Wuss » by Bret Easton Ellis

www.vanityfair.fr...

I don't necessarily agree with this article being I raised two millennials, and i think they are pretty good kids, and I also have two in their forties.

But I was very different with the millennials, sort of a helicopter parent

He's a joke. I'm a professional fighter and the fighting community is stronger then ever. I've met hundreds of people of all ages who are very strong characters in the gym. Many who train hard everyday. That guy wouldn't last ten minutes on the mats of any BJJ school in the country.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Ya "Generation wuss" my a$$!

I've rolled BJJ before, went 2 and 1, won by rear naked twice, then lost to a nasty guillotine...That was four years ago and I've been working out and training ever since. This has greatly enhanced my mental balance and physical vitality.

Every morning I'm working the heavy bag and teaching the young one to do the same. He will be a Warrior, I'm so stoked.

This Winter I plan on joining our local MMA/BJJ gym. I'm so excited, I believe it'll change my life so much for the better. The natural high I got after winning those couple matches was indescribable. Ultimate goal is to get into that cage.

again I say, generation wuss my a$$!!
edit on 27-9-2014 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Yeah I fought for 12 years and let me tell you the general consensus of what defines hard work and dedication doesn't even count as an ice cube off of the tip of the ice berg.

And it's a game changer. It's what puts my mind at ease when some big dummy who thinks his you know what is big is walking around the room bullying smaller weaker minded people.

It lets me just relax and say... This guys a monkey in disguise and if people like that get to crazy it's what enables me to ask him to please relax and leave people alone very politely.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30 >>

join