It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two weeks of groceries on food stamps

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I remember a few months ago someone in this forum took a screenshot of their grocery shopping for a week and that thread has stuck with me. I took this photo the other day, I was going back and forth on posting it but ultimately decided I would.

It comes to 2.5 pounds of chicken (3 oz per serving basically), 2 pounds hamburger meat (1 pound for some crock pot chili, the other pound for some leftover hamburger helper), some cheese and tortillas for chicken quesadilla, a few bags of frozen vegetables (peppers/onions for the chili the rest to steam with the rice), some canned tomatoes and beans for chili, and a 2 pound bag of rice. There's also a box of Lipton iced tea that I bought (24? teabags) the day before that's not shown. Total cost: $52 for a $110/month allotment.

I'm not a great cook but it basically gives me 1/3 a bag of steamed vegetables with some rice for most days, the chicken/rice will last for about 14 meals. The quesidillas are worth 8 meals, and the chili is good for around 6. That's 2 meals/day which is better than a lot of people get but eating rice every single day for weeks on as your main meal end gets real old.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

eating rice every single day for weeks on as your main meal end gets real old.

Tell me about it. I existed on hotdogs and rice in college. That was hard ... kid you not. Then what do I do? I go marry a Korean woman. LOL

Think about all the Asian people who eat rice as their main dish three meals/day 365/year.

Hang in there, brother.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
It's supposed to offer the bare minimum as an incentive to get the receiver up and working if they're able.

I admit it's not a lot but to be honest, I've seen people with foodstamps buy lobster, shrimp and big pork chops. So I don't know, is it your location?

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Yeah, that's why I work 55 hours a week. So I don't have to do that.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
My wife and I allow 10 bucks a day for our foods. We easily can make it on that. That is three hundred bucks a month for two people, but we also have our granddaughter here once in a while and our daughter comes to stay when she is off work.

We eat really well for that money, but we prepare most of our own meals from scratch and make our deserts and breads.

The quality of our food far exceeds the quality we used to get in the restaurants we used to eat in, even the really expensive ones. Fresh local fish and grass fed beef aren't cheap but included in this amount. Homemade pies with local berries and homemade jams are not considered suffering to me. I buy our eggs from someone who has free range chickens, that is included in that figure also.

The thing is, most of these things can't be bought with food stamps.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If I was in that situation it would be best to be vegetarian. I'm already one so it's surprising how cheap veggies are compared to meats. I consume mostly rice and beans, various veggies and a lot of raw fruit. But that's just me. If you have the time maybe you can garden, find a food kitchen that lets you take home stuff in containers or gives bags away in packages (lots of places only have sit down meals and then allow a sandwich or so to be wrapped up but others let you take back tons). Or if you don't already, try stretching meals with broths, or more noodles, ruffage compared to the more expensive ingredients.

If you get tired of eating the same stuff, try preparing it differently. Or utilizing cheap spices and herbs like the dried ones. I don't know your situation at all but I feel very bad that you have only that to live off of. Despite these programs being in effect, this economy leaves little alternative and a lot of people on them can't find work at all, or work that's enough to sustain them.

Can everybody start organizing communities and start planting food in vacant lots, lawns, etc? Can you imagine how much food a dedicated, informed group of people with the right tools can grow on vacant land that's been that way for years? In nearly every neighborhood there's land that's been untouched, left open or used for discarded junk. Heck, get all the gardeners and tell everyone it's food for the poor and needy, if you want to help in your spare time go ahead.

Sorry for being off topic lol. This is a good thread. Gets me thinking.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I feel blessed that I love rice and can eat it daily with soups or beans. Same with pasta, Herbed noodles, marinara... i love it !My kids, not so much with the repetive thing.

I buy lots more tea and drink it hot and cold throughout the day so I'm only hungry when my kids an I eat dinner together.

One trick I learned is if I buy nature valley granola bars my boys won't go through them as fast. And we don't buy meat. Tvp when they ask... I'm one of the people that depend on my kids to eat at school. Because feeding them healthy is very difficult.

edit on 1-9-2014 by Iamthatbish because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I'm one of the people that depend on my kids to eat at school. Because feeding them healthy is very difficult.

No offense, but if you were really concerned with feeding your kids a healthy meal you'd be sending them to school with a sack lunch.

posted on Sep, 1 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
fixed income really is a pain to keep fed and stay in budget.
The dollar stores are awesome for everything other than meat but they do have a limited choice hot dog and lunch meats but i never buy those. there is a grocery store called Thriftway nearby and they sell meats that are reasonably priced for what it is. $52 feeds my family of 2 @ 2meals a day for 2 weeks. the trick is to find the sales and where the cheapest equivalent of everything is and write your list ahead of time so you are saving the absolute most money you can

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
You should be offended that you missed how I eat once a day and depend on my kids eating at school so they aren't hungry.

I'm not offended you didn't catch that. You may want to reread my previous post though.

originally posted by: Lipton

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I'm one of the people that depend on my kids to eat at school. Because feeding them healthy is very difficult.

No offense, but if you were really concerned with feeding your kids a healthy meal you'd be sending them to school with a sack lunch.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme
whats wrong with what they buy? If they want lobster and shrimp,they can eat it....for a few days! Those people you see are probably living with a boyfriend/girlfriend and never told the state.

+15 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
It's supposed to offer the bare minimum as an incentive to get the receiver up and working if they're able.

I admit it's not a lot but to be honest, I've seen people with foodstamps buy lobster, shrimp and big pork chops. So I don't know, is it your location?

No, it's not supposed to be an incentive. It's supposed to be used to feed people . Many people receiving food stamps are elderly and/or disabled. Spend a couple weeks eating rice and when your food stamps come in you might splurge on pork chops, too. You have no idea how many people those "big pork chops" fed or for how long. Even people on food stamps have family members with birthdays or other events to celebrate. Some people receiving food stamps have medical conditions requiring that they eat certain foods (lots of protein, for example) or not eat certain foods (carbs, for example). That would be extremely difficult on such a limited amount. It appears that the food they can afford to buy is often not the best for them.

It never ceases to amaze me when some people who have enough aren't happy unless others have too little--or nothing.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Yeah, that's why I work 55 hours a week. So I don't have to do that.

If you lose your job, you may end up on food stamps. You do realize, don't you, that people have to meet rather strict requirements to qualify for those benefits. I'm pretty sure you can't just go to an office, hold out your hand, and be given food stamps.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Don't forget all the funding just went to big agriculture. The amount people receive in food benefits has gone down. There are documents saying its about a dollar a meal now. Idk what it was before.

I actually find seasoning and broth to be more expensive than the poster above but I'm an ingredient reader because I have to be. If I eat the wrong thing I get debilitating migraines.

Food shouldn't be such a big issue. There was a thread that posted a documentary on how America's straving aren't the traditional hungry. That made me pay even more attention to the food my kids eat. Coupons, comparison shopping, simply saying vegan cheese will have to wait until next month so I can get an oil change.

I think if people look into why the food assistance in America to Hungry went down while big agriculture gets their money and we.feed people overseas people will pause and think about this issue.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Take a good hard look people anyone making under 15 dollars and hour is screwed because of inflation. It will only take a couple more years at this rate and 50% of the people will begin to starve and end up homeless.

How can we stop this? This will happen and it will tear the chains of apathy off. When people can no longer feed and house themselves it always leads down one path especially in places that previously had good times. Even what is left of the middle and upper class will feel this pinch. The government will not be able to bail this many people out this time.

Think I am wrong..........Look at the cost of new cars.......Why do they have to give out 10 year loans. Look at your grocery bill and compare it over time. This is your proof hold it dear.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
If you have access to a bit of land try minimize your reliance on expensive western food by growing your own vegetables and fish at home using aquaponics. Also couple of chickens for eggs wouldn't hurt.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
ive come to the decision that i oppose all welfare, even foodstamps.

i didnt always, as a matter of fact i actually support the program, but for long term betterment, i must oppose it now.

see, buy giving people food from the gov, it supports the corps that pay them too little to live. by cutting them off, they will quickly realize they are getting ripped off and finally join a union to get better pay, hopefully.

welfare isnt for the poor, its to protect the rich from the poor.

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It isn't just western food there is crap food in asia and else where too, you mean processed or packaged food

a reply to: glend

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: stormson

welfare isnt for the poor, its to protect the rich from the poor.

star for you for what it is worth....your statement is exactly why this is happening....and again this is another pansy scheme to hold off the inevitable....people go mental when they get hungry,factor in not being able to feed their families....the day this happens is the day the # truly hits the fan

posted on Sep, 2 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

eating rice every single day for weeks on as your main meal end gets real old.

Tell me about it. I existed on hotdogs and rice in college. That was hard ... kid you not. Then what do I do? I go marry a Korean woman. LOL

Think about all the Asian people who eat rice as their main dish three meals/day 365/year.

Hang in there, brother.

i know the feeling lol. i till can't get used to rice for breakfast (and most other meals). and a lot of plain white rice with just a little stuff on it is how most people eat it.

Aazadan you might try looking up Asian recipes. they use a lot of cheep ingredients like soy sauce for cooking great tasting things. even things like pork soup, (and yup served with rice lol) which can extend things like meat even further.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join