It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Girl Barred From School for Shaving Her Head to Support Friend With Cancer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Go figure...

A Colorado girl was briefly barred from school after she shaved her head to support her friend who has cancer.

Caprock Academy said nine-year-old Kamryn Renfro broke the school’s dress code when she shaved her head in solidarity with 11-year-old Delaney Campbell. The school has since reversed its decision after an outpouring of support for both of the girls.

A 9-year-old girl who was banned from school for shaving her head to support a friend with cancer was back in class Tuesday after reports of the disciplinary action surfaced.

A staff member from Caprock Academy in Grand Junction told FoxNews.com that the school is happy to have the student back and its board of directors is holding a closed meeting later tonight about the situation.

WHY was she banned???

school officials told the student, Kamryn, she couldn't come back to class without a wig or until her natural hair grew back because her shaved head violates the school's dress code.

Why are retards running our school system?

Story

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Maybe hair absorbs knowledge and a shaved head reflects it....That's gotta be it!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

After the story broke the outrage provoked the School to do the right thing and allow her back in.

Makes me wonder if this whole "ZERO Tolerance" Bullsnip is nothing more than an experiment for anyone in a position of authority to make stupid and illogical decisions in the name of thinking "Just how much will they allow us to get away with!".

Well, in this case, they got the reaction I hoped they were expecting! Because if they were expecting that kind of stupidity to go away, just whom the hell do we have in charge of teaching our children?
edit on 25-3-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
seems that along with implementing "common core" there has been attrition of "common sense".

I just smh and chalk it up to "academia in 2014" and why our schools are failing. Teachers go across state lines to picket governorships as they are told to do by their unions….they do not want your kids to think for themselves.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Oh i bet people who suffer from Alopecia are gunna really be mad about this.

A dress code for hair?
And ignoring the support factor for a sick freind?

Just shocking. Schools REALLY need to start reeling in their interference where it doesnt belong.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
She broke the dress code, plain and simple.

She should have asked permission for an exception to the dress code beforehand.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
She broke the dress code, plain and simple.

She should have asked permission for an exception to the dress code beforehand.

I say a public caning then.

Perhaps a stoning, a few beatings. . .

/sarc.

Things are just getting out of hand in the public school system. Zero Tolerance for aspirin, but you can get excused for an abortion.

Zero tolerance for a shaved head, a bible, a 2nd Amendment shirt, an American flag shirt. . . c'mon! You honestly going to say there isn't an agenda going on in the public school system?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

The fact that this is even part of the dress code is absurd. I can somewhat understand banning wild hair colors, tall mohawks, and other more distracting hair styles, but a shaved head? Ridiculous. It was a show of support and even without that caveat it should have been a non issue. I've kept my head shaved/extremely short since high school. Boys can do it, why shouldn't girls be able to?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

here is the policy (from the article posted in the thread first post)

In a statement to 9News.com, Catherine Norton Breman, president and Chair of the academy's board of directors, said the dress code "was created to promote safety, uniformity, and a non-distracting environment for the school's students. Under this policy, shaved heads are not permitted."

if someone was going to check with the school it should have been the parents.... this 0% tolerance bull crap has got to go
edit on 25-3-2014 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Though it is actual dress code... so she is in the wrong...but that code is really, really, stupid.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

The progressive mindset hard at work trying to brainwash the leaders of tomorrow.

All the anti bullying everybody is a winner, you had better follow the rules crap is causing weakness and apathy of mind and body. The progressive mindset is a setup for failure if you let it in.

Many I am sure are thinking this has noting to do with the progressive mindset.......You would be wrong please find the truth.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
ETA: nevermind missed a post
edit on 25-3-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is retarded. One of the most retarded things I've seen to date. A lot of boys like the "buzz" cut. I even had it as a kid and my parents would occasionally shave my head. Stubble left of course. However we didn't always have money so I preferred that to my mom giving me a bowl cut. If a boy can do it then a girl should also be allowed to. Not only is this sexist it's discrimination against poor families. Someone should sue these idiots.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

According to the schools dress code boys cannot do it either:

Girls:

Ladies’ Hair: Should be neatly combed or styled. No shaved heads.
Girls

Boys:

Gentlemen’s Hair: Hair should be neatly combed and styled. Hair should not be arranged or colored so to draw undue attention to the student. Hair must be natural looking and conservative in its color. Radical changes in hair color during the school year are unacceptable. The hair may be as short as needed, but no shaved heads.
Boys

Seems odd that shaved heads are specifically listed. I can understand colors, mohawks, checkerboards, etc... but shaved is clean.
You'd think a conformity factory would love to shave all the kids heads.
edit on 25-3-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
at least they didn't call the cops and have her cuffed and removed.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I agree that she (her parents) should have asked for an exception to be made for her to be able to show solidarity, in this particular manner, for her friend. I read the school's "dress code policy" and it didn't seem out of line from other dress code policies that I have read in the past except the policy for the school that my children currently attend does NOT specifically state that "shaved heads are not permissible". The policy states
"NO extreme hair color or style, makeup and/or nail color".
With that said, one would think or hope that the school officials would have called the parents that morning and spoke to them. They would have gotten the reason for the "shaved head" then could have met or called whomever they needed to for the exception to have been granted. Seems like that would have saved a lot of time, embarrassment, and just general hassle....
My opinion only...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
What kind of "dress" code requires hair? Hair is not a portion of your attire, it's a physical attribute.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Only in Grand Junk-town; the city of schmucks. Good for these girls, I do hope she makes a fast & full recovery!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Get em when they are young, they are the future afterall.

USA playing long game of mindwashing?

Induce silly rules so when they change bigger ones down the line to the future voters that think they are in charge and except ever increasingly insane rules laws etc.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

SubTruth

The progressive mindset hard at work trying to brainwash the leaders of tomorrow.

All the anti bullying everybody is a winner, you had better follow the rules crap is causing weakness and apathy of mind and body. The progressive mindset is a setup for failure if you let it in.

Many I am sure are thinking this has noting to do with the progressive mindset.......You would be wrong please find the truth.

So Ronald Reagan was the progressive responsible?

The term zero tolerance was first employed by President ronald reagan's administration when it launched its War on Drugs initiative in the early 1980s. Some school districts embraced the initiative in an attempt to eradicate drug possession and drug use on school property. The policy became law, however, when Congress passed the Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act of 1989 (Pub.L. 101-226, December 12, 1989, 103 Stat. 1928). The act banned the unlawful use, possession, or distribution of drugs and alcohol by students and employees on school grounds and college campuses. It required educational agencies and institutions of higher learning to establish disciplinary sanctions for violations or risk losing federal aid. As a result, the majority of schools and colleges immediately began to adopt zero tolerance polices to safeguard their federal funding.

Zero Tolerance ....

Its apart of the conservative movements tough on crime mindset.... always has been always will be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join