It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gallant Opposes Israeli Governance of Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2024 @ 07:07 PM
link   

In a televised address Wednesday, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant told Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that he must take “tough decisions” to advance non-Hamas governance of Gaza, whatever the personal or political cost, because the gains of the war are being eroded and Israel’s long-term security is at stake.

Gallant warned in his address that he will not consent to Israeli civil or military governance of Gaza, and that governance by non-Hamas Palestinian entities, accompanied by international actors, is in Israel’s interest. Netanyahu, he said, must publicly rule out the notion of ongoing Israeli military or civil rule in the Strip.

The public comments, seen as the most direct political challenge to Netanyahu from within his government since the start of the war, sparked an angry backlash among members of the coalition, who urged Netanyahu to fire the defense minister. Only hours earlier, the premier declared that any discussions of the “day after” in Gaza are meaningless until Hamas is defeated.

Netanyahu himself quickly retorted that he was “not prepared to switch from Hamastan to Fatahstan,” referencing the Fatah-dominated Palestinian Authority.

Gallant’s call echoed complaints long made by the United States and others in the international community for Israel to formulate a viable plan for who will rule Gaza after the war.

Gallant to PM: Reject Israeli military, civil rule of Gaza after Hamas; I won’t allow it

What does the Minister of Defense know that many of the clueless peasants don't?
Why is it time for "tough decisions" now?
What are the political and personal costs he alluded to?
And why is Israel's long-term security at stake?

posted on May, 15 2024 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: YourHighness

My guess is he sees the true Israeli security being a PR one.

Perception is a helluva drug in modern times. It’s just like with sales, it doesn’t matter if a mainstream opinion is right, you still have to sell your product or position.

Here’s the stone cold truth. Unless Israel wipes out or displaces all of Palestine, the more destruction that is dealt just breads the next wave of hate and resentment.

And if they wipe out or displace all of Gaza and the West Bank, then they’ll have other regional problems on top of global PR problems.

The US has cleaned up its mess after most of its wars. We’re allies with most of the countries we’ve been at war with. Our problems however are different than Israel’s.

I think Gallant is trying to find a way to button all of this before it snowballs. That’s not me necessarily agreeing with his position more than it’s an attempt to read it.
edit on 15-5-2024 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2024 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Sinple; he doesn't want to lead an occupying army. Occupying armies rarely work in the long term and he doesn't want to be the face of one.

Israel should have thought of this before they escalated their war.

posted on May, 15 2024 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I think Gallant is trying to find a way to button all of this up before it snowballs. That’s not me necessarily agreeing with his position more than it’s an attempt to read it.

Makes sense. The political critter in him might also be hedging his bets publicly now, with things taking a new turn at the ICJ.

The ICJ duly ordered Israel in its January 26 orders to “prevent and punish” incitement to genocide, an explicit prohibition of the Genocide Convention.

But Israeli officials have continued to make incendiary comments about operations in Gaza, and the new South African application references fresh, highly problematic comments by ultranationalist Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich who was quoted by Haaretz at the end of April as saying “There are no half-measures. Rafah, Deir al-Balah, Nusseirat – total annihilation.”

Given the urgency with which the court has called the new hearings, it could issue orders on the application as early as next week, Kaplinsky said.

ICJ’s urgent hearings over IDF’s Rafah operation spell more trouble for Israel

posted on May, 15 2024 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: YourHighness

Bibi is one of the most successful politicians in the world. That’s not a compliment to him as being the best in the ring of politics usually means you just play the game well.

If you look at the protests before and after October, I don’t think it’s any secret he’s a very polarized figure over there. People are looking to what’s next.

He was semi hardline in that he was the guy for the “safety and security” of Israel. I won’t say what happened is because of him, but many feel that he had a lot of errors that led to the depth of damage that was done.

Any one who is more moderate or on a different side of the political spectrum is likely to play the game for when everything gets reconciled.

posted on May, 15 2024 @ 09:10 PM
link   

War cabinet minister Benny Gantz comes to Defense Minister Yoav Gallant’s defense, amidst calls for his termination after he challenged Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Gaza policy in a nationally televised address.

“The defense minister speaks the truth, the leadership’s responsibility is to do the right thing for the country, at any cost,” he says in a statement.

Gantz comes to Gallant’s defense amid calls for his termination

posted on May, 15 2024 @ 09:12 PM
link   
time for israel to govern gaza is long passed, to many years of indoctrination have occurred.

They will have to find someone else to run that snip show.

posted on May, 15 2024 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

In my opinion that’s an important move for the Globalists.

posted on May, 15 2024 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I apologize for the offtopic, but after clicking the “create a new topic” button (+), the topic creation window does not appear, only a solid gray field. What could be the problem?

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
time for israel to govern gaza is long passed, to many years of indoctrination have occurred.

They will have to find someone else to run that snip show.

Or they will decide to raze everything and build an oceanfront oasis resort...and make billions off of tourism. It's what the "Palestinians should have done instead of being terrorists.

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: YourHighness

I think Gallant is trying to find a way to button all of this up before it snowballs. That’s not me necessarily agreeing with his position more than it’s an attempt to read it.

Makes sense. The political critter in him might also be hedging his bets publicly now, with things taking a new turn at the ICJ.

The ICJ duly ordered Israel in its January 26 orders to “prevent and punish” incitement to genocide, an explicit prohibition of the Genocide Convention.

But Israeli officials have continued to make incendiary comments about operations in Gaza, and the new South African application references fresh, highly problematic comments by ultranationalist Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich who was quoted by Haaretz at the end of April as saying “There are no half-measures. Rafah, Deir al-Balah, Nusseirat – total annihilation.”

Given the urgency with which the court has called the new hearings, it could issue orders on the application as early as next week, Kaplinsky said.

ICJ’s urgent hearings over IDF’s Rafah operation spell more trouble for Israel

Mentioning the ICJ at the ICC does nothing because ISrael and the US are not signatories and we simply do not give a dang.

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 05:24 PM
link   

A growing rift within the Israeli government over the governance of Gaza after the war has become a 'colossal game of chicken' between rival factions who are each waiting for the other to make a mistake, according to Israeli political commentator Dr Ori Goldberg. He spoke with France 24's Mark Owen and said that Israelis have trouble articulating a critique of Netanyahu's management of the war and that as long as the war continues, Netanyahu continues to be safe in power.

posted on May, 16 2024 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Asher47

not arguing with you on that point.

But Israel running gaza just increases the terrorism risk, unless they actually perform genocide.

top topics

join