It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Pictures: the Famous Sycamore Gap Tree

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 03:52 PM
link   

The lone tree at Northumberland's Sycamore Gap was one of the most photographed in the country before it was deliberately cut down this week.

In Pictures: the Famous Sycamore Gap Tree

An act of senseless and unspeakable vandalism.

But, enjoy the photos.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

I read about this.

The punk should be skinned alive.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

With a chainsaw.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   

We had similar situation on a landmark where I live. Three trees at the very top of the hill. They were very iconic. Three Trees Realty. Three Trees Denistry. Three Trees Veterinary.

Then someone cut one down. Everyone was sad. Names went by with the wind. I saw a new one named Two Trees recently.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

the stump has a clear cut markings, all the arborealists I've spoken to say this was not the act of a kid but of adults, adults with knowledge and skill.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

You're right:

BBC News - Sycamore Gap: Man in his 60s held after Hadrian's Wall tree cut down
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   

amended
edit on 29-9-2023 by nickyw because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:04 PM
link   
A shame for nature. I don't sympathize with the tradition, however.

Plant another one, use the felled one to build a bridge and get over it.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:05 PM
link   

when i saw the white lines on the stump i asked a couple of tree surgeons from my days going to bni breakfast meetings and they all said adult with tools knowledge and skill not a kid..

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Duggz

Seriously?

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:11 PM
link   

What a shame, these kids have no respect for history anywhere.
30 years hard labor will teach him.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:14 PM
link   

This tree was a scene in Robin Hood the Kevin Costner version correct? It truly was beautiful.

I think they should do the exact same thing to the perpetrators. Just chop them in half.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

There are a lot of good arborist videos on youtube... kid could have learned the skills online

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I assure you I am not enthusiastic about it, I'm just more torn up about the loss of an extremely old lower life form than whatever picturesque inspired rampage everyone else is on about.

It is a bit irrational to be so vehement about punishing someone for chopping down a tree just because it really tied the hills together. Some may be up in arms over the history of the specimen, and I suppose I am, but I'm able to let that go more easily than the senseless felling itself.

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 07:43 PM
link   

A dastardly act indeed.
But may not hundreds of scions be had from the fallen tree?
Surely some will rise to the occasion?
Seems like sycamores aren't too hard to propagate.
Never say die.......

posted on Sep, 29 2023 @ 10:31 PM
link   
There is no way a 16 yr old hiked, alone with his gear in a stormy night, and took that tree down in haste. Not like that. That tree looks like a pro took it down.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheEther

Yep.....
I was just going to write the same.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It's about time. I think this would be a favorable spot for a few wind mills. We all have to be inconvenienced if we want to save the Earth. Based on AOC's timeline, I think we have about another 6 years before you and I and everyone we know will be dead, so you'd all better start sucking it up over a tree and do you part to save us all!
If nothing else it will keep those nature loving types from littering the place up. I'll bet the paint on those rocks was oil based!!
There are trillions of trees on the planet. This one won't have any effect on green house gases, but just in case, I took an acorn from my front walk and threw it into the hedgerow so a new tree will grow. So you can all go back to your lattes now, I've solved the problem.
If you send me enough grant money for my research, I'm certain I can give you some misinterpreted and cherry picked facts that back up my claims.

posted on Sep, 30 2023 @ 07:42 PM
link   
That was nice. An aweful act.

top topics

join