It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A member who isn't really new, an update from over twenty years at ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2023 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Greetings ATS.

I have composed this thread in my head for probably two years now. "I really should post an update of some kind," I kept telling myself. But when I finally did, I realized that I had scuttled my old account - forever keeping me off of it. It's probably for the best, that time has passed now.

I first discovered this site in 1999, it was quite a different world then as I am sure you can imagine. At the time I was a bumbling nine year old who was probably trying to make Google find me funny things. I couldn't tell you what I was searching for when I found it, but I can absolutely remember the red and black. Fast forward another couple of years, I started to become fascinated with Sci-Fi and tales in conspiracy. ATS kept coming up a few times as I attempt to dig on things to keep me awake at night - I was 11, and it was fun. I finally joined when I turned 14 - two months after to be exact. March of 2004. 23 MAR 2004 - to be precise - the name in the username field? Shugo.

Now here's where I bring you to a departure from the normal tale of recounting the times of talk of conspiracy. Shugo was just that - a 14 year old on the internet - a fairly young internet to boot. He was fascinated by conspiracy and wonders, but hadn't really experienced any for himself. That didn't stop him from wanting to. He believed staunchly in aerospace projects that were either proven to be something else, or to simply not exist. Granted, that didn't stop from some theories just being too out there. As time drug on, so too did his interest in something else: research. He was still a kid, and likewise anything he'd say is something you probably should have taken with a grain of salt. But his interest in conspiracy was shifting from that of one that was willing to accept blindly, to one that demanded research.

After about 2008, Shugo faded into the back a bit. He returned in 2013 as sort of a one-off, but that too quickly faded into the ether. And for the most part, that is where the tale of Shugo ended. Probably showed up in ATS Chat a time or two after that, but posting wise? Not so much.

So, why write this? Why inform ATS of this, most of whom the members active today probably never heard of him? A simple reason.

Remember that I said Shugo's interest shifted to research? That was fostered by ATS. ATS fostered my interest in research. Specifically, there were three individuals I credit with this - and one of them is still a mod here. The first was a moderator by the name ADVISOR, who, at the time, ran ATS's research forums. It was ADVISOR who granted me the role of "Scholar." The second was a member by the name of intelgurl, who I had always respected for being close to subject matter while providing a wealth of information that would leave few wondering or asking for specifics. If there ever were questions, she would undoubtedly return with another book of information to provide. The last, is a moderator you all know very well by now; Zaphod58. Many a day, Zaphod and I would spend time shooting shot in ATS chat, probably rolling our eyes at some crazy theory that popped up on the forum. (Remember the "TAW-50", Zaphod?)

Shugo kept very strange hours. He was a kid. But life happened, and all kids must grow up sometime - while still being a kid at heart. To my friends who once knew me as Shugo - I write here to inform you that I am well. Life simply happened, as it does to us all. And I feel, after having a few friends of my own vanish without checking in, obligated to just put that out there.

Whether I return to ATS under this totally creative username or not remains to be seen. I must admit that while ATS taught me to research, it also exposed me early to another world full of divisiveness. That's sadly something I see in the world around me a lot in my line of work these days. I don't blame a website for such a thing, but I do owe it to myself to maintain my sanity.

To my old friends; TSK, Baked, ktpr, asala, gryffen, and many others that I am sure I am missing, I hope you are all well wherever you are.

To my also old friends: Kitsune, Zaphod, echelon, elevated, Kano, and...still many others. I also hope you are well, and keep on keepin'.

Signed,

The User formerly known as Shugo - who now has a pun username.

posted on Jul, 27 2023 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: GnomeInGlacier

I enjoy how your name is almost a homonym for nomenclature, the choosing of names, kinda like calling yourself username

edit on 27-7-2023 by SigmaXSquared because: spelling

posted on Jul, 27 2023 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I remember Shugo long ago. Welcome back!

Like you, my username has changed. In my case the change was the result of the "fallout" from the departure of the "Three Amigos". Something happened to my account regarding my email address and I was never able to recover my old name....which is a pity since I had amassed a healthy "reputation" under that moniker.

(AKA: Bhadhidar)

posted on Jul, 27 2023 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Welcome Back

posted on Jul, 27 2023 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: SigmaXSquared

That was by design. I like to think I'm clever, but it's probably just my long-time exposure to wordplay and things of that sort.

a reply to: Mantiss2021

My memory is fuzzy on so many people that I encountered over the years online and in person. I am sure we interacted. Rest assured, my isolation was self-inflicted - I just hadn't seen into the future to know that I'd have a want to at least check in some time later.

I can't promise how long I'll be around, but there's a special place in my heart for online forums versus social media - that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 27 2023 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Wow, reading your name was a blast from the past!

Welcome Back

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: GnomeInGlacier
Greetings ATS.

I have composed this thread in my head for probably two years now. "I really should post an update of some kind," I kept telling myself. But when I finally did, I realized that I had scuttled my old account - forever keeping me off of it. It's probably for the best, that time has passed now.

I first discovered this site in 1999, it was quite a different world then as I am sure you can imagine. At the time I was a bumbling nine year old who was probably trying to make Google find me funny things. I couldn't tell you what I was searching for when I found it, but I can absolutely remember the red and black. Fast forward another couple of years, I started to become fascinated with Sci-Fi and tales in conspiracy. ATS kept coming up a few times as I attempt to dig on things to keep me awake at night - I was 11, and it was fun. I finally joined when I turned 14 - two months after to be exact. March of 2004. 23 MAR 2004 - to be precise - the name in the username field? Shugo.

Now here's where I bring you to a departure from the normal tale of recounting the times of talk of conspiracy. Shugo was just that - a 14 year old on the internet - a fairly young internet to boot. He was fascinated by conspiracy and wonders, but hadn't really experienced any for himself. That didn't stop him from wanting to. He believed staunchly in aerospace projects that were either proven to be something else, or to simply not exist. Granted, that didn't stop from some theories just being too out there. As time drug on, so too did his interest in something else: research. He was still a kid, and likewise anything he'd say is something you probably should have taken with a grain of salt. But his interest in conspiracy was shifting from that of one that was willing to accept blindly, to one that demanded research.

After about 2008, Shugo faded into the back a bit. He returned in 2013 as sort of a one-off, but that too quickly faded into the ether. And for the most part, that is where the tale of Shugo ended. Probably showed up in ATS Chat a time or two after that, but posting wise? Not so much.

So, why write this? Why inform ATS of this, most of whom the members active today probably never heard of him? A simple reason.

Remember that I said Shugo's interest shifted to research? That was fostered by ATS. ATS fostered my interest in research. Specifically, there were three individuals I credit with this - and one of them is still a mod here. The first was a moderator by the name ADVISOR, who, at the time, ran ATS's research forums. It was ADVISOR who granted me the role of "Scholar." The second was a member by the name of intelgurl, who I had always respected for being close to subject matter while providing a wealth of information that would leave few wondering or asking for specifics. If there ever were questions, she would undoubtedly return with another book of information to provide. The last, is a moderator you all know very well by now; Zaphod58. Many a day, Zaphod and I would spend time shooting shot in ATS chat, probably rolling our eyes at some crazy theory that popped up on the forum. (Remember the "TAW-50", Zaphod?)

Shugo kept very strange hours. He was a kid. But life happened, and all kids must grow up sometime - while still being a kid at heart. To my friends who once knew me as Shugo - I write here to inform you that I am well. Life simply happened, as it does to us all. And I feel, after having a few friends of my own vanish without checking in, obligated to just put that out there.

Whether I return to ATS under this totally creative username or not remains to be seen. I must admit that while ATS taught me to research, it also exposed me early to another world full of divisiveness. That's sadly something I see in the world around me a lot in my line of work these days. I don't blame a website for such a thing, but I do owe it to myself to maintain my sanity.

To my old friends; TSK, Baked, ktpr, asala, gryffen, and many others that I am sure I am missing, I hope you are all well wherever you are.

To my also old friends: Kitsune, Zaphod, echelon, elevated, Kano, and...still many others. I also hope you are well, and keep on keepin'.

Signed,

Welcome back!--

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: GnomeInGlacier

Welcome back home brother!

Good to see you around.

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Welcome back! To be so young, when you started here. Wow

We have lost so many good members, it is nice to see some return every once in a while.

And, I get to learn who some of the New (old) members are - (Mantiss)

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

a reply to: ADVISOR

Ah, good to see you both still around. I feel like it's been a good 10 years at least since I've seen you DTOM, and probably 15 since I've seen you ADVISOR!

a reply to: chiefsmom

Many move on for one reason or another. I can only speak for myself. I remember seeing many leave due to random happenings, but I think what ultimately is the deciding factor is time doing what it does best. Push people along.

posted on Jul, 29 2023 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Welcome back! I've been here as long. Seen a lot and learned alot.

join