It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you explain this amazing landscape?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: StokeGnar37

You likely won't believe the half-assed Reddit copied answer.

Tensional fractures forming joint sets and subsequent weathering/erosion. In short, it's not uncommon for competent (i.e., stronger rocks that tend to deform by fracture in the shallow crust) layers to develop extensional fractures that geologists refer to as joints in response to deformation / applied stress. Further, vertically oriented joints are quite common in sedimentary rocks as these reflect extensional fractures formed from compaction resultant from the overburden of later mass deposited on top of them (with the largest direction of stress being oriented vertically, so the rocks deform by forming extensional cracks that "open" in the direction perpendicular to this largest stress). In layered competent rocks, a particular set of joints (where set refers to a sequence of joints that are all roughly parallel) tend to form at a characteristic spacing that will be roughly equal to the layer thickness. Finally, it's not uncommon for multiple joint sets to form, often at moderate angles with respect to each other, i.e., it would be not uncommon to see a set of vertical joints oriented at X degrees with respect to north and then another vertical joint set oriented at X+/-~90 degrees with respect to north.

And so it's not totally lazy.

What the above explains is when the stresses are right it can fracture in the cross-hatch pattern seen. And then erode rounded edges, or into separate blocks cut by the 90° fracturing.

It's a well known type of formation.

[Orthogonal joint sets on a bedding plane in flagstones, Caithness, Scotland]

edit on 12-3-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

that's a common explanation for the Bimini Road as well.

Still fun to believe though....
edit on 12-3-2024 by Raptured because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Raptured

I want to as well.

But I think it's even more awesome geological fracturing and joints can do this naturally.

Schoch observed the sandstones that make up the Yonaguni formation to "contain numerous well-defined, parallel bedding planes along which the layers easily separate. The rocks of this group are also criss-crossed by numerous sets of parallel, vertically oriented joints in the rock. These joints are natural, parallel fractures by which the rectangular formations seen in the area likely formed.

The deposit has been dated to 20 MY.
edit on 12-3-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Some stones do seem to break into cubes. High energy cracks them into right angles. I think Dolamite and a few others crack this way. I think it has something to do with the crystal latice structure.

These big stones most likely are naturally forming, but it could be that some of them were sheared or moved in a few places on that video. I am sure that people all over the world developed a way of working with stone long ago.

It is hard to tell if there was any building with the stones there, but the pictures on the rocks are definitely manmade. There are many stone structures and even buildings carved into stone cliffs in the Americas...dating back who knows how long. They could have been carved half a million years ago, but carbon dating of organic materials there could just show they were inhabited a thousand years ago because people cleaned out their living quarters and any organic matter left would be from the last inhabitants.

Not really easy to prove how long ago something was made or created sometimes.

posted on Mar, 12 2024 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Station27

originally posted by: Justoneman

originally posted by: AlexandrosOMegas
Sometimes finding these geometric blocks means they've found an ancient stone quary. Why in AZ tho I don't know.

Isn't there some areas in the Grand Canyon National Park that have Egyptian names? Illinois area is full of "artifacts" that had them naming the towns and cities.

I grew up in Arizona and never knew about the Egyptian connection. That's pretty cool! But I was born in the Southern Illinois region known as "Little Egypt," and my family moved back there from Arizona. There are lots of connections to Egypt to be found in Little Egypt - cities with the same names as ones found in Egypt - Cairo, Thebes, Karnak, Goshen, Carmi and Dongola. I was born in one of those Egyptian-named towns - Carmi. The mascot for Southern Illinois University is called "Salukis," after the ancient hunting dogs of Egypt, and the first live mascot dog was named "King Tut."

There are architectural parallels to Egypt to be found in Little Egypt - giant obelisks and even design cues in buildings that illustrate and carry on the history of Little Egypt. Such as this VA hospital in Marion, Illinois that looks like an ancient royal burial chamber. The whole structure has an Egyptian theme:

Now that I have become aware of Arizona having ties to Ancient Egypt, I find it interesting to know that the two places I lived in for the longest time both have ties to Egypt.

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat

originally posted by: Quadlink2
What an amazingly beautiful place the USA is.... i have always wanted to visit but my age and health will probably stop that ever happening ...

All the best

I agree! I feel so lucky to live in a country that has such a diverse set of beautiful locations to visit.

And if you liked that video, here's a picture of a place very close by - Zion National Park.

I honestly feel like I grew up not only in the two best countries on earth for beauty, Greece and the United States, but I even grew up in the most beautiful place IN the US...Arizona. Simply nothing compares. Phoenix is a great city and all but it aint all that pleasing to look at. However the entire rest of the state is just inexplicably gorgeous. And we ain't just desert, at the same time we gave 122 degree highs in the summer, the rest of the year while Phoenix has 8 months of perfect temperature, just north of us we have the city with the second highest annual snowfall. Who'd have thunk it. And Greece...off topic but cmon...3000 islands, 800 inhabited, each one looking and feeling like a different country...too too perfect.

It's just too bad that in both Arizona and Greece they keep the public out of ANYTHING interesting. Arizona they talk about an ancient Egyptian society with temples, treasures, and towns hidden along the grand canyon...monster's burials too!? Illegal to go within ten miles. And want to build ANYTHING in Greece, well first you gotta spend 5 years having the plot of land excavated. My neighbor in Athens was building onto his house and I reminded him, "well, you'll have to wait for the obvious excavation..." Not even a week in and they pulled an intact ancient statue from his lot and uncovered a nearly finished mosaic and three years later, there's a 30 foot deep hole in his yard and it still ain't been cleared.

ARIZONA

AND GREECE FOR FUN

posted on Mar, 13 2024 @ 01:09 PM
link   
There seems to be block work everywhere.
This is Portland UK.youtu.be...

Also when you look at the white cliffs of Dover it all seems like block work.

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I noticed that too!

As of there are still hundreds of cubes still in place farther inland from the edge of the canyon.

It's so weird to me.

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Duplicate post.
edit on 14-3-2024 by StokeGnar37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
a reply to: StokeGnar37

I just came back to give you more kudos!

Every time that guy or his dog gets near the edge my stomach knots up. I'm going to have to grab a glass of wine in order to view the parts I had to skim by.

This ties in nicely with Chan Thomas' 'The Story of Adam and Eve; the cataclysm'., which I'll have to re-read. (Free PDF)

Thank you

I'm so glad others find this as interesting as I did!

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosOMegas

Really great pics dude. I lived on AZ, Sedona then Phoenix for a few years and there really is some great viewing areas. Was close enough to visit Montezuma's Well and Monument which you have posted. Too bad they had to seal up the Monument so it wouldn't collapse or we could see it as it naturally was. The Well is bizarre, it's own little ecosystem and there are a few dwellings in the sides of it that made me wonder how the hell people lived there.

Forget the name but it's downhill from Jerome. Little Native place there. I thought when I first saw it I thought the red area of land there was because of some farmer mishap or something along those lines. Nope, it's the leftover from the mining done in Jerome, they just let it go down the hill and crap on the land there. I wish I had gone through the visitor center there first as it shows you where all the rattlesnakes are at there, and there are quite a few. I went through blind and had no idea the danger there.

posted on Mar, 15 2024 @ 11:55 AM
link   
nature is pretty impressive with its geometric shapes it produces in mineral formations
Mineral formations

in particular pyrite, and on a larger scale columnar basalt formations these were my favourite , I spent a while learning about how basalt forms columns as it cools and takes on the hexagonal shapes we see at the giants causeway and fingals cave

I always used to think that there is no way nature can produce some of the absolute straight edges we see in rocks and other natural formations but you'd be surprised.
Id think that looks too man made to be natural
but where do you think we got the idea of the straight line from
everything we do is taken from nature

so of course whenever we see something in nature that looks familiar to what we make we conclude that it couldnt possibly be nature, yet nature is how we derived the shapes in the first place.

edit on 15-3-2024 by sapien1982 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join