It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland volcano in Grindavik erupts after weeks of earthquakes

page: 1

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 05:16 PM
link   

A volcano has erupted in Iceland after weeks of intense earthquake activity, the country’s Meteorological Office said.

In a “warning” message on its website on Monday night, the office states: “Eruption has started north of Grindavik by Hagafell.”

Iceland volcano in Grindavik erupts after weeks of earthquakes

Its finaly popped!
Just ysterday they reopened the blue lagoon resort which is now closed again..

Some crazy footage of the eruption on the live cams-

close up of the action-

Crazy stuff!
Stay safe Icelanders!

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: onestonemonkey

A. Ty for the links. From my house, far far away, it is beautiful to watch. The Majesty of this world leaves me breathless sometimes.

B. I pray for those who's safety, property and livelihoods are affected. May you all be protected.

C. I hope this thread stays apolitical.

posted on Dec, 18 2023 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The last major Icelandic eruption led to unprecedented air travel disruption in northern Europe.

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 03:07 AM
link   
It's having a little fart.......

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I've been wondering when this was finally going to blow. Seems like it was months ago that I heard they were evacuating Grindavik

posted on Dec, 19 2023 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MrGashler
Yeah they were all set to allow people back to the town in time for Christmas,but not anymore.

The eruption seems to be slowing for now,so hopefully the worst risk is passed.

Gas pollution caused by the eruption is likely to affect Reykjavik tonight or tomorrow, it said.
"The power of the volcanic eruption at Sundhnuks crater continues to decrease," the statement read.
It estimated lava flow had dropped to one quarter of what it was at the start of the eruption, and that magma plumes had dropped from some 30m to around 13m.
The intensity of the lava flow began decreasing as soon as four hours after it erupted, the office said in an update overnight.
On pollution, it said: "According to the weather forecast, gas pollution could be noticed in the capital area late tonight or in the morning.

news.sky.com...-b ody

Cool picture here taken by a passenger on a flight near the area:
liveblog.digitalimages.sky...

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Well , there goes 20 YEARS of Forced Reductions of Carbon Emissions Out the Window by Humans around the Planet . On the Bright Side , I am Sure the Flora Around the Planet are " Breathing " Better Today.........

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Geothermal activity is what's driving ocean temps warming as well as increased carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. They say that the supposed volcanic eruption last year in the Pacific( I still say it was a meteorite impact) is whats causing the oceanic river of precipitation into the Northwest with increased moisture being sent into the atmosphere.
Apparently this didn't throw up particles like explosive eruptions but I believe increased geothermal activity, particularly under the oceans should be studied further for impacts on weather and climate.

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Owlwatcher
Its amazing how much matter and gases volcanoes can throw into the atmosphere.
The big Krakatoa event caused pretty big crop failures due to blocking out some of the suns energy for a few years on the other side of the globe in Europe.

Here is a recent report and some cool drone footage of the iceland situation-looks like good news, the town will survive as long as the eruption continues to slow down as it has been doing.

posted on Dec, 20 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I guess it being winter and colder temps have forced the lava to cool and thus slow it down. had it happened in Summer, who knows.

top topics

join