It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosion at ConEd plant in Brooklyn, short NYC blackout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Oddly, several hours after the fact I'm not seeing this event reported in any major newsfeeds. This, to me, is stranger than the fact that it happened.

Around midnight easter-time last night an explosion that produced a large cloud of smoke happened at the Consolidated Edison power plant in Brooklyn. According to DailyMail.com:

>Black smoke was seen coming from the Con Edison power facility in Brooklyn on Thursday night
>The smoke happened around the time outages were reported across NYC
>Outages led to travel chaos and people being stuck in elevators throughout the Big Apple

A Con Edison spokesman reported:

Con Edison told DailyMail.com its crews are investigating the power failure. 'A fault on a high-tension transmission line occurred at a Con Edison substation in Brooklyn at approximately 11:55 pm last night. Customers may have experienced a dip or surge in power at that time. Crews are investigating and working to make necessary repairs.'

The Daily Mail further reported that:

Residents across New York City complained about the brief power cut with most left confused about the outage.

Multiple people claimed to hear an 'explosion' from the power plant, while others felt a rumble.

I'm not saying that this was anything more than a fault, but given the current environment of heightened alert and potential threats along with the recent cyber attacks on various elements of infrastructure, the fact that it's hardly being mentioned in news feeds seems odd.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AwakeNotWoke
Oddly, several hours after the fact I'm not seeing this event reported in any major newsfeeds.

Oddly enough, I did a search for "con ed explosion" and saw dozens of news reports about it from major networks. Some several hours old.

edit on 2023 12 15 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AwakeNotWoke

Too many electric vehicles charging with too much electric heating? I think it's going to happen more often.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Could be new normal to see something like that in future ..

Grid monitor warns of blackout risks as coal plants retire

top topics

join