It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never Get Between a Devonian Pensioner and a Pasty

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger2
a reply to: Degradation33

I like all the Brits here on ATS.
Smashin' blokes, the lot.

That's very kind of you. I would not be so discourteous as to assume your nationality so I will just say that where ever you hail from your pleasant manner would make you very welcome in Glorious Devon.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TheWhat

Thank you! I grew up in the midwestern U.S. The Great Plains.
I worked with someone back in the 1980s that was from England, and they told me about Devon, and some of the quaint villages. Cockington and Beer.
I told my co-worker that I was a fan of the Fawlty Towers comedy show, and I'd make references to Torquay. They appreciated that!

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It's amazing to think that somebody in the U.S. Midwest has heard of Cockington which is in Torquay my Birthplace. John Cleese got the idea for Fawlty Towers while staying in Torquay during filming for a season of Monty Python. Everybody else left The Gleneagles Hotel due to the antics of the owner Donald Sinclair whom Cleese described as "A wonderfully rude man."

Donald Sinclair was in fact a World War Two Royal Navy veteran and judging from his war record was probably what his generation would have described as "Bomb Happy" in other words suffering from PTSD. Something that many fans of the show are not aware of is that although the idea for the show came from Torquay and it was set there none of it was actually filmed in the town.

The Gleneagles Hotel is now a retirement home however its provenance is commemorated in it Being named Sachs Court after Andrew Sachs the actor who played the hapless Spanish waiter Manuel.
a reply to: ColeYounger2

edit on 15-12-2023 by TheWhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   

You'd be very welcome here in deepest Wiltshire for pork scratchings and a pint (or three) of Scrumpy Cider.

I'm wearing my Wurzels 2008 tee shirt right now.....

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger2

Beer is a great place to stay. Some great pubs. Right on the coast.

Not so keen on Torquay.

Like Cornwall too, so long as you put the locals straight about the cream/jam thing.

Cadgwith on the Lizard Peninsula is a real old traditional fishing village. Stayed their renting a house right on the beach watching the fishing boats launching off the beach and cooked an amazing Cornish fish dish with fish just landed.

Bait Box Stew.

www.standard.co.uk...

Tho I use red wine not white and add a quartered orange taken out at the last minute. The French can keep their Boulabaise, this is a "proper job".

Oh, some roughly chopped potatoes and some Dijon mustard too.

edit on 15-12-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

You'd be very welcome here in deepest Wiltshire for pork scratchings and a pint (or three) of Scrumpy Cider.

I'm wearing my Wurzels 2008 tee shirt right now.....

The Wurzels be vrum Zummerzet me andsome. Thaim ain't Moonreykers.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhat

Ooh 'Aaaarrr moi lubber.

I'm close to the Zummerzet border. Saw them in Horningsham. Just down the road.

There was panic when the 'zider tent ran dry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join