It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount Merapi erupts killing 11 & 12 missing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2023 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Mount Merapi suddenly erupted yesterday (Sunday).

Indonesia's Mount Marapi, located in West Sumatra province, unleashed a violent eruption on Sunday, sending plumes of white-and-grey ash soaring more than 3,000 meters (about 9,800 feet) into the sky. The eruption resulted in a cascade of volcanic debris, affecting nearby villages and triggering a massive rescue operation

Eleven bodies have been recovered with at least a further 12 missing.
Rescue operations have been currently suspended due to adverse conditions.

Rainbows
Jane
PS
Another video..... VIEWER DISCRETION!

edit on am124America/ChicagoMonday2023-12-04T04:48:22-06:0004America/Chicago12000000 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2023 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

RIP to the poor souls.

Think there is another one in Iceland ready to pop with around 180 earthquakes in the past 48 hours.

posted on Dec, 4 2023 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

So I understand

Plus they are keeping an eye on Campei Flegrei in Italy. They have already been conducting evacuation practice runs. That one blows and all hell will be unleashed.
Rainbows
Jane
edit on am124America/ChicagoMonday2023-12-04T04:51:05-06:0004America/Chicago12000000 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2023 @ 06:36 AM
link   
From Wikipedia: "It is the most active volcano in Indonesia and has erupted regularly since 1548".
Seems like a top of the list place to go hiking in Indonesia.

posted on Dec, 4 2023 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Hakaiju

I suppose in this day of age people do indeed like to visit the likes of volcanic environments for the purpose of recreation and tourism

In the past through and even to this day, people gravitate towards Volcanos down to the fertile soil which can be great for the likes of farming purposes with the soil being rich in potassium and magnesium.

The risk apparently outweighs the danger.

posted on Dec, 4 2023 @ 07:01 AM
link   

I could see people, sadly, taking their chances due to the soil, etc., living near to the volcano. My comment was directed at the title of the news clip, which said that hikers were the casualties. I can't imagine there were no better choices for hiking trails than an active volcano.

posted on Dec, 4 2023 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Saying prayers for the people impacted by this... looks massive.

One single eruption releasing 10s of millions of tons of CO2 but the elites are still coming after my gasoline-fueled hybrid vehicle and telling me I can't eat meat (while flying around on their private jets and chartering yachts lol)

posted on Dec, 4 2023 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I really do feel sorry for anyone killed from volcanic eruption, but we do not seem to learn from past events at all, especially from the volcanos that have a history of violent eruption.

If you are in close proximity , even worse, live real close to one, than you are taking the ultimate risk of killing yourself and your family every day. If the mountain goes off violently, you have quakes, poisonous gas and raining hot rocks to deal with immediately, followed by a probable pyroclastic flow as the ash column collapses and then rivers of lava.

Historical killers like Etna and Vesuvius have thousands of people again living near their bases and some even back on the sides of the volcanic mountains close to them.

Tamer volcanoes like the kind that erupt in Reykjanes in Iceland and in Hawaii are rarely explosive but volcanos are unpredictable at best and are capable of changing characteristics at any time.

If people want to see them, then at least 10 miles away might be a good target distance, but even then, depending upon a lot of unknown geology, you could still wind up right in the middle of it.

We need to respect the forces that built this planet and the return of common sense might be a great way to start.
edit on 4-12-2023 by charlyv because: sp

posted on Dec, 4 2023 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well crap, there goes another 30-year push until global warming.

posted on Dec, 4 2023 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel

So I understand

Plus they are keeping an eye on Campei Flegrei in Italy. They have already been conducting evacuation practice runs. That one blows and all hell will be unleashed.
Rainbows
Jane

www.cnn.com...

Yeah, no....I'd have moved from there by now.

The last major eruption of Campi Flegrei was in 1538, and it created a new mountain in the bay. Seismic activity in the area has been intensifying since December of 2022, according to Italy’s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV), and experts fear that the volcano could be reawakening after generations at rest.

The densely populated region, which is less than 50 kilometers (31 miles) from Vesuvius, is prone to a seismic phenomenon known as bradyseism, defined by cycles of uplift and gradual lowering of the ground. The last time the region saw such activity was 1984, when the ground rose 3.5 meters (11.5 feet) before it began a slow descent accompanied by seismic activity similar to what is happening in the area now.

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
Thank you for the link, even my old Geaography teacher is keeping an eye on Campei and is a 'volcano of concern' in his book.
Like you say, the big problem with volcanoes is you might get the rumbles, but they can completely explode with next to no warning. L'Aquila in Italy and Mount St Helen's being classic examples. Krakatoa is another. Here's a excellent drama/documentary that the BBC made about it....

I think it is worth watching if only to understand how unpredictably volotile any volcano can be.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 03:38 PM
link   

A book you may be interested in reading.....
Catastrophe: An Investigation into the Origins of the Modern World

It was a catastrophe without precedent in recorded history: for months on end, starting in A.D. 535, a strange, dusky haze robbed much of the earth of normal sunlight. Crops failed in Asia and the Middle East as global weather patterns radically altered. Bubonic plague, exploding out of Africa, wiped out entire populations in Europe. Flood and drought brought ancient cultures to the brink of collapse. In a matter of decades, the old order died and a new world—essentially the modern world as we know it today—began to emerge.

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
Thank you!
Rainbows
Jane

top topics

join