It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to have a little fun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hello ATS!

Today is the last three-day holiday in Russia, and I want to get a little rowdy and play pranks))) I decided, like an old music lover, to choose disco today.

So.

When it comes to talking about obscenity in songs, the easiest thing to do is grumble about some (not all!) modern rappers who swear every word. In the 1970s, they did without words starting with certain letters, but in terms of frank sensuality, other disco tracks will give anyone a head start. Just look at Donna Summer’s hit “Love to Love You Baby” with her signature moaning!

But Donna was not alone. Just three months after her success with “Love to Love You Baby,” another hit with a rather playful mood burst into the top five of the American charts. Capable of making listeners blush. It sang: “But if you want to know how I feel, turn on the cameras and let the action begin!”

This lady knew what she was singing about. Nashville native Andrea Marie Truden, who attended an all-girls Catholic school in her youth, moved to New York with the goal of working in film. She was young, she needed money! With an offer to star in an adult film, a completely different career began for the actress. I won’t give the names of the movies in which Andrea True starred, otherwise something might not happen! But this is quite hardcore.

In early 1975, a Jamaican real estate company noticed the budding artist and hired her to appear in commercials, so she agreed to temporarily move to Jamaica with her boyfriend, who, oddly enough, was a gynecologist.

Meanwhile, session drummer Gregg Diamond, who played with James Brown and Sonny and Cher, also decided to improve his financial situation. To do this, he abandoned session work and decided to start producing and writing songs. Taking the piano into an empty room in an office building, the musician spent weeks polishing melodies in search of a hook for a hit. At this time, he recorded the first draft of the future hit “More, More, More.”

...And then a call came out of nowhere, from distant Jamaica. Gregg received a call from someone named Andrea True. She learned from a mutual friend that he had excellent material in stock. And she offered to record it in Jamaica. Andrea agreed to pay for airfare, a hotel room, and studio time just to take part in the recording as a vocalist.

The very next day Gregg flew to Kingston. Andrea met him in a low-cut dress and took him to a limousine, driven by her boyfriend. “More, More, More” took 72 hours to record and mix. Most of the time was spent polishing the vocals: Andrea True may have been able to play love on camera, but she was by no means a brilliant vocalist.

Returning to New York, the author offered the recording to Buddah Records. In a short time, “More, More, More” conquered discos and entered the hit parade. When the track cracked the top 100, Gregg Diamond thought it was his greatest achievement. But the single climbed tirelessly - until a few months later it reached fourth place. Now this is a true disco classic - with a jumping beat, the atmosphere of a Jamaican vacation and a light vicious flair.

The song lives on with a Bananarama cover recorded in 1993 and a 2004 version by Rachel Stevens:

And let the star of films of the XXX category perform as a vocalist in the original. This didn't stop Andrea's track True Connection from being featured in two episodes of The Simpsons! Disco Stu dances to it, having first sniffed sugar according to the old disco tradition.

I think that's enough "raspberry" for today

Thank you!

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Love this, thanks for the post. S&F. I love disco music, always have. The history of More More More is pretty interesting stuff. I had no idea.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

This is great RT. I love music and music history....

....but this is where you erred....disco is not music.

Not kidding.

But I do love the history of disco, and appreciate disco for killing radio and showing us how music could be used to control us. I do think that was why punk was vilified... the kids asked questions and challenged authorities.

Of course, I could be a biased kid from the late 70s early 80s.

Thanks for the knowledge.

posted on Nov, 6 2023 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

I think that's enough "raspberry" for today

Hey, if you're going to mention raspberries, go all the way.

Not really disco, but who cares?

And who's next

posted on Nov, 7 2023 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

I hid this single by the sex pistols when I was young but it slipped into the sleeve of a record my grandmother loved ( one day at a time sweet jesus ) by lena martell

m.youtube.com...

She had her bible study group of about 15 + in one Sunday afternoon and went to put on some Christian music of Jim reeves etc and my sex pistols one was first up .

Boy did I get it that day Mr slipper came visiting me

new topics

top topics

join