It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This looks like a driver can intentionally hit a cyclist and not be charged

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
a reply to: tanstaafl

Yeah, sorry, you did clarify some of that and A-M tweaked me up a bit, but as citizens of this state, they do own the roads as much as you or any other citizen, but then again perhaps you don't think they have the same rights as other citizens?

Rights? Do we all collectively have the right to walk down the middle of the lane of the road too?

Do you not see the flaw in this argument of yours?

The roads are meant and intended for use by motor vehicles. Bicycles being allow3ed to use them is

But by that kind of logic I shouldn't go canoeing or pilot a small engine airplane because there are bigger and faster boats and planes that have more rights to travel than I would.

Really? You're going to try to equate speed boats/canoes on a lake or small airplanes/big jets with cars/bicycles on a roadway? Really? Sorry, but I'm not going to even lend any credence to your absurd comparison by responding to it.

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You keep emphasizing examples of people who disregard the law and basic safety on the road, that isn't at all what I'm talking about and is unrelated to it. Also that is a valid comparison I made with boats and planes. You are wrong about the right to travel as a pedestrian and deflecting from my point that is correct, at least here in the state of Michigan, in the United States of America. I'll go and find the laws I refer to if necessary, that will be later though as I need to do other things very soon.
edit on 18-4-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The driver clearly swerved into the curb, then tree before getting to the bicyclist.
Doesn't look at all intentional.
Just bad/distracted/drunk/texting etc...

I shall arm chair charge as follows:
Failure to maintain causing accident/injury, driver liable for injuries, 30 day suspension w driving school.
Bicyclist gets 2 weeks no spandex and lifetime bikepath only use for virtue signaling it traffic with 6000 lb vehicles, endangering themselves and the people who might accidentally run them over.

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

For me it looks like an accident. Watching her driving from behind, what I learned professional, there could be many explanations. One of it, she let the cyclist pass while preparing to turn left.

One possible scenario:
The car swerves left first, then snaps back, this can happen when someone "washes dishes" during a steering maneuver and something goes wrong. The steering rotates back and then the driver has to decide to go for the turn or leave it.

That she fled is the big deal for me. She should have stopped as soon as possible and check for the bicyclist.

"Washing dishes" is steering with the palms, like you rub over a dish plate to clean it. I do it too sometimes.
edit on 18.4.2023 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I hope all you bike riders wear pants when you ride on the road. Proper pants. Not that stupid Lycra crap.

And fluro colours.

F clover Moore. Stupid hag with her dumb pandering idiocy.

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

You keep emphasizing examples of people who disregard the law and basic safety on the road, that isn't at all what I'm talking about and is unrelated to it.

I pointed out that you were wrong that bicyclists have just as much right to the roads as motor vehicles.

Also that is a valid comparison I made with boats and planes.

No it isn't, not even remotely. Roads are extremely narrow and confined. Water and air are wide open spaces - well, at least big lakes and the ocean, and very large rivers.

You are wrong about the right to travel as a pedestrian and deflecting from my point that is correct, at least here in the state of Michigan, in the United States of America. I'll go and find the laws I refer to if necessary, that will be later though as I need to do other things very soon.

So, you're claiming that you have the right to walk down the middle of the lane of a road, and force all of the cars and trucks behind you to just wait on you?

I thought you were sane. I guess I was mistaken.

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Not in Australia, it is legal for cyclist to take an entire traffic lane when no bike lane exists. It is not legal to ride against the traffic. Once when driving, I passed two two cyclist taking up an entire lane in heavy traffic. When passing I noticed one had a revolver clipped to his side. They were two police officers proving a point to drivers. No-one ran them off the road.

posted on Apr, 18 2023 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

Not in Australia, it is legal for cyclist to take an entire traffic lane when no bike lane exists. It is not legal to ride against the traffic. Once when driving, I passed two two cyclist taking up an entire lane in heavy traffic. When passing I noticed one had a revolver clipped to his side. They were two police officers proving a point to drivers. No-one ran them off the road.

Yeah, well, Australia is completely and totally lost to totalitarian nonsense, so no surprise.

There are many roads in the US where bicycles are not allowed (Interstate freeways, etc), for good reason.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 02:37 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...

Melbourne woman will be charged over cyclist crash caught on dashcam footage

Police say they will charge a 40-year-old woman over an alleged hit-and-run crash caught on dashcam footage which left a Melbourne cyclist with grazes and bruises.

Police had appealed for information on Monday as they investigated the crash, which occurred on Douglas Street in Noble Park around 6:40am on April 13.

Victoria Police said officers had since found further CCTV footage "as part of their investigation to assist in determining who was allegedly driving the vehicle at the time".

Police said the Dandenong woman, who was interviewed by investigators on Monday, was expected to be charged on summons with a range of offences.

They include reckless conduct endangering life, intentionally causing injury, assault with a weapon and failing to stop and help after a crash.

The cyclist, 59-year-old Robert Clarke, said he was riding to work when he was knocked from his bike, which was dragged underneath the car for more than 100 metres.

I called it

edit on 19/4/2023 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BeNotAfraid

I hope she wasn’t training for something else, though now she has been charged, hopefully she don’t get bail.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

I just saw this on the news, it’s great there wash probably dash can footage that proved she was driving.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Same here in Australia, there are highways which you cannot ride on.

Though cysclists can ride on the Hume Highway which is a 110 kilometre an hour road.

I wouldn’t risk riding on that road, even though I could.

Don’t wanna end up as road kill.

This is a good read:

www.amygillett.org.au...
edit on 19-4-2023 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Yeah, same where I live.

And bicycles are considered legally to be road vehicles just like vehicles with motors.

There is some stupidity; some bike riders swerve off the road to hop on a sidewalk so they can take advantage of a pedestrian crossing. Some want it both ways, but most of them are okay. When I'm driving, I don't appreciate cyclists riding side by side and effectively making passing a more dangerous maneuver.

Sometimes I try to visualize what the roads would be like if cars weren't usable for some reason. I think there would be a lot of cranky people on roads full of bicycles

Cheers

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Here is a link to Michigan traffic laws with concerns to traveling by bicycle.

Michigan Compiled Laws

Michigan Rules of the Road

Now in case a certain someone doesn't care to go to said links . . .

A summary . . .

The laws include the following provisions:
Ride Bike Reasonably Close to the Right Curb
Riding Bicycles on Sidewalks
Riding Two (2) Abreast a Bicycle
Use of Hand Signals While Riding a Bicycle
Lights When Riding a Bicycle at night
Riding Double on a Bicycle
Brakes on a Bicycle
Riding a Bike While Attached to a Vehicle
Carrying Packages While Cycling
Limited Access Highway
Parking a Bicycle
Bicycle Helmets and Cell Phones

A few details . . .

Can a bicyclist be ticketed for impeding traffic if they are traveling on a roadway and obeying all rules of the road?
No. Bicyclists are considered traffic based on MCL 257.69 and have the same rights and responsibilities applicable to the driver of a vehicle according to MCL 257.657. The spirit of the impeding traffic statute, MCL 257.676b, is intended to refer to stationary objects such as a vehicle parked across the roadway with the intention of obstructing traffic. Some bicyclists have been warned and even cited with violating MCL 257.676b. Multiple Michigan judges, however, have ruled that the statute does not apply to bicyclists lawfully traveling on a public roadway.

Is it legal for a bicyclist to ride between lanes (lane split)?

No. Because bicyclists have all the duties of a vehicle driver, they have the duty to drive in a single lane. MCL 257.657states that bicyclists on roadways have all the rights and duties of vehicle drivers and MCL 257.642(1)(a)states that vehicles shall be driven entirely in a single lane.

Bicyclists may only pass on the right if there is a dedicated bicycle facility.

Drivers should:
Give at least 3-feet when passing bicyclists. (See above for stricter local ordinances)
Obey traffic signals, signs and markings.
Yield to bicyclists as you would motorists and do not underestimate their speed. This will help avoid turning in front of a bicyclist traveling on the road or sidewalk, often at an intersection or driveway.
Avoid distractions.
Obey the posted speed limit.
Stay alert and take extra caution at intersections, especially when making turns.
In parking lots, at stop signs, when backing up, or when parking, search your surroundings for other vehicles, including bicyclists.
To avoid "dooring" a bicyclist, never open a car door without first checking for passing traffic. One example of checking for traffic is the "Dutch Reach." This method involves the driver of a vehicle using their right hand to open their door, not their left hand. This naturally puts the driver in position to check both in front and behind for approaching traffic

LINK

edit on 19-4-2023 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

top topics

<< 1   >>

join