It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Satellite falling to Earth soon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Just posting as an FYI because I know some of you like to track these things.

Portions of Russia’s defunct Kosmos-1220 satellite will come crashing back to the planet on Sunday following a fiery, uncontrolled descent through the Earth’s atmosphere, Russian officials said.

Fragments of the former reconnaissance satellite are expected to survive the high-speed re-entry and will most likely plunge harmlessly into the Pacific Ocean, Colonel Alexei Zolotukhin told Russian news agency Ria Novosti.

Expected to hit earth within the next few hours. (02h37 UTC) So, if you're bored and snowbound like me, here's the link to track it.

www.satview.org...

It was launched in 1980.

The exact size and weight of the Kosmos-1220 satellite is unknown, Ria Novosti reported, adding to the uncertainty of the upcoming event.

“Much of it will burn up in Earth’s atmosphere, but no doubt fragments of Kosmos-1220 will reach Earth,” David Eicher, editor of Astronomy magazine, told FoxNews.com in an e-mail.

Not sure why they don't know the size. I'll try to find more info but wanted to post this before it falls!

www.foxnews.com...

Here's some more info -

Cosmos 1220 was a Soviet naval reconnaisance satellite launched from the Baikonur cosmodrome... This naval forces monitoring spacecraft was used to determine the position of enemy naval forces through detection and triangulation of their electrmagnetic emissions (radio, radar, etc).

Mass: 4150.0 kg

nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

edit on 15-2-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Pacific Ocean you say; cool

i'm on the east coast of Australia, might be possible to watch its reentry

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It should come down in an hour and a half from now. So while we wait, can someone explain the cute little doghouse over Michigan on the map?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by M3RCSENTINAL

That would be awesome! Someone caught pics of the one that fell last November. Have your camera ready.

The final moments of the Goce satellite were caught on camera as it blazed across the sky above the South Atlantic.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

That's your location. I live in a doghouse in NY.....great graphics...lol!
edit on 15-2-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Well got my sky camera out and looking
But just in case it put up a good display I will also be out with my Z10 smartphone
It going right over my head any minute now will report back

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If it falls in my yard can I keep it?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

It is passing over my area right now. I went outside to see if I could spot it, but it is to overcast. This will be the only time it passes my area. Thanks for the heads-up!

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

the high-speed re-entry and will most likely plunge harmlessly into the Pacific Ocean
reply to post by Maluhia

I wonder if something like that would be announced by media if there were a chance debris targeting a city.

In that case I'll see a shield deployed...., over the responsibles.
edit on 15-2-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
So being mostly uninformed when it comes to this type of thing, I have to ask: Just how great are they when it comes to accuracy in their predictions?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

They usually say "it will most likely fall over water" and since the earth is mostly water, they're usually right! But, they also admit it's never certain due to a lot of factors.

Here's another tracking sight.

www.n2yo.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Interesting. One site has it over Copenhagen while the other has it near Turkey. Time to put on clean underwear, just in case.

edit on 15-2-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Here a better one to follow

Cosmos 1220

Ok camera did not see anything and it snowing with a clear sky very rare.

Going back out to re-position my sky cam to look more west for next past.
edit on 15-2-2014 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well that is a pretty good explanation if something does hit, coincidence of the date much???
Russian Meteor

Just a justification of the cause in case something big happens?

One year later, the impact of the surprise Russian meteor explosion is still being felt all over the world.

On Feb. 15, 2013, a 65-foot-wide (20 meters) asteroid detonated in the skies over the Russian city of Chelyabinsk, causing millions of dollars of damage and injuring 1,500 people. The dramatic event served as a wake-up call, many scientists say, alerting the world to the dangers posed by the millions of space rocks that reside in Earth's neck of the cosmic woods.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
There must be some very appealing instrumentation on board, so I'm wondering what are the chances the Russians would shoot it down rather than have it retrieved, presuming retrieval would be possible?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

That's a good site - thanks for that. They have a comments section, but it's not active....

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Here also check ongoing facebook info

Cocmos 1220

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Maluhia

That's a good site - thanks for that. They have a comments section, but it's not active....

You need to
Request activation to [email protected]

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

You need to Request activation to [email protected]

Oh ok, thanks. Also thanks for the Facebook link.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think this is midnight PST for me. Would pass over to the south of me I think.

Local Configuration

Lat: 49.133 Lon: -122.303 Alt: 500
Timezone: UTC-8
edit on 15-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join