It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about travel adapters for my US friends here.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Hi all,

My daughter is going on a school trip to New York next week and has asked if i can sort her out a travel adapter for her plug. Not a problem, but the shop said that the adapter only changes the 3 pin to a 2 pin, so if there are any differences with voltage in the sockets compared to the UK, i may need something else?

She's only going to be plugging in her mobile phone and maybe a pair of hair straighteners at the most.

Any advice on this?

Thank you in advance, much appreciated.

CX.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

The UK has a higher voltage requirement, so even with the adapters, electrical appliances may not function.

Her phone will probably be ok though.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Things like hairdriers doesn't work, electronics with transformers usually works everywhere

If it got a transformer just check the working range it always says, if it doesn't have a transformer is dead weight and can be very dangerous
______
US voltage is 110v 60h and the connector looks like 2 flat things or 2 flat and a round one if its grounded

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 11-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

_____
to have no confusion over my crappy english for me transformer is this

edit on 11-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
opt for the EU adapter/converter combo. a little more pricey but well worth it.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Went to San Diego 2 years ago.

Live in France.

I went to a hardware shop and purchased a universal multi-country adaptor. (can be purchased in most hardware or DIY shops)

The adaptor works for just about every country and cost me about 15€

Took along my Hairdryer, Iphone charger etc and it worked no problems.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Dude once she's been through those scanners she'll be able to power the appliances just by holdong the plugs in her hand.

The hair tongs will be a problem, they draw so much current that an adapter able to handle them will likely be more expensive than buying a set of tongs in the US.

Most phone chargers use switched mode supplies and will work almost anwhere. Check the voltage range on the it. Most seem to work as low as 90volts so should be ok.

CX

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Thanks for the info everyone, got all i need.

I know what you mean about the scanners in the airport lol...to be honest she'll be doing so many opportunity of a lifetime things there on this trip, it's the only thing that overrides the crap that happens at the airport. The schools never had a problem before though so i'm hoping she has a good time.

Thanks again everyone.

CX.

new topics

top topics

join