It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most shooting victims have prior criminal record? Need help finding data.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I ran across some information available regarding shootings and the victims criminal record. So far I've only been able to find data from cities. I would like to find a national report, but I have yet to find a national report regarding this part of gun violence.

Here's the reports that I've found so far.

Wilmington shooting suspects, victims have almost identical arrest records

During the last 20 months, Wilmington has had 158 shooting incidents. Of the 183 people struck by bullets, 42 were killed. That tally does not include one man shot to death by police. Both the shooter and the victim in almost all cases are black men or teenagers.

More than 90 percent of the shooting victims since January 2011 have criminal records, city police records show. Both gunmen and their prey have averaged about two dozen arrests and 50 charges. Nearly half qualify as “career or habitual criminals,” police said.

2011 Homicides and Nonfatal Shootings, Milwaukee, WI

1. The total number of 2011 homicides was 86, down 9% from 2010 (95 homicide victims).

19. Of the 2011 homicide victims, 76% (65) had a prior arrest and/or citation and of known 2011 homicide suspects 90% (74) had prior arrests/citations. Similar trends are found for nonfatal shooting victims and suspects.

*Minor traffic violations were excluded in the data.

Cory Booker says Newark shooting victims have high chance they’ve been arrested an average of 10 times

Booker said "if you are shot in the city of Newark, you have over an 80 percent chance that you've been arrested before an average of 10 times."

Politifact rated this as mostly true, and gives their reasoning.

The mayor should have said shot and killed, but the rest of his statistic is on point -- and backed by the research of a Rutgers-Newark criminal justice professor.

Demographics of 2012 Baltimore homicides

Murders: 217

(Known) suspects with criminal records: 79.1 percent

Victims with criminal records: 82.3 percent

Worcester Police Department

There were 18 homicides in this two-year period, 12 of which were by firearms (or 67%)

There were 70 non-fatal shooting victims

Almost 76% of the victims and 96% of the offenders had at least one prior arraignment on their criminal record

The majority of victims and offenders had at least one prior armed violent crime

Unfortunately, this data is pulled from varying years, even going back as far as 2004. I would like to find a bunch more data, but it doesn't seem like this is reported as much as I think it should. Again, I would like to try and find a national report on this type of data, but have had no such luck finding one yet.

If anyone else has more data on this, please add. The more information, the better.
edit on 26-1-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Maybe find out the reasons for the shootings.

If you find a high percentage are drug/gang related, then it makes sense that the shooters and their victims have existing criminals records.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
That's a good bet, according to cbsnews.com,

www.cbsnews.com... Nearly half of the nation's murder victims in 2005 were black, and the number of black men who were slain is on the rise.

A majority of the black murder victims were relatively young — between 17 and 29, the Justice Department said in a study released Thursday.

Even though the article is old and considering recent studies that a high percentage of the people in prisons are black, it would go hand in hand.

The mass school shootings in the recent past will alter the stats a little away from this theory but not by much.
edit on 26-1-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

AlphaHawk

Maybe find out the reasons for the shootings.

If you find a high percentage are drug/gang related, then it makes sense that the shooters and their victims have existing criminals records.

Im really trying to find the data on the "criminal on criminal" statistics, in regards to shootings (fatal and non fatal), and comparing it to the overall gun violence in the country, and trying to pull more data from that. I want to find whether or not living in the US is as dangerous to regular citizens as it is, as some sources claim it is because of the availability of firearms.

I hear and read that the majority of shootings in the USA are criminal on criminal (and I fully believe that), but Im really trying to track down the actual numbers to prove that.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I'd agree if you are talking violent confrontations between parties. But that doesnt stand true for the party store owner, lady in the mall parking lot, or two college coeds assaulted crossing campus.

If you would amend your statement to say "a majority of victims"....then I may agree with you. I hope though, you find those statistics, which will Im sure...stress my point.
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
In my work experience a vast majority of the victims have had criminal records.

In my work experience a vast majority of shootings are drug related or retaliation for another previous shooting which of course is usually drug related.

In my work experience I have seen very few innocent people be victims of shootings/murders. Most of these situations are domestic related.

In my work experience most shootings are not random.

I have no real numbers to back anything up. Just sharing my personal experience working in law enforcement.

top topics

join