It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to live on a boat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I was recently browsing boats the other day and I was astounded how cheap a 30' older sailboat is.

This one is 16k and I've seen similar and younger ones as cheap as 20-25k. Mooring fees can run about 13k a year depending on the size but I really think it's doable.

I've got 0 experience sailing, 0 nautical knowledge, and 0% mechanical aptitude. But i've got 100% willingness to learn. Been daydreaming about sailing to Cali or Maui. Daydreaming about getting a little pooch, grabbing my guitar and spending my life floating away off the grid. Learning how to live off the sea has always been a fantasy of mine but never considered it a possible reality until I saw just how affordable a sailboat can be.

Sure, I understand high maintenance. I understand keeping her well will need to become a love affair and I'm ok with that. I understand at times you may have to siphon your poo from a broken toilet, pull her out of the water and re-paint, fix those solar panels and sew your sails back together. But the freedom! Ooooh the freedom. Just me, my dog, a bottle of wine and my guitar. No more TV or internet. Just a ham radio and my thoughts.

Anyone doing this? I would love to make new friends who do and change my life forever.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There's a huge liveaboard population out there, do some research and you'll find them.

Also, see 'Sail Transport Network' for info on how people are trying to recreate the old clipper ship way of hauling goods to protect the oceans and save fuel costs and pollution.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Nice! thanks for the tip.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Count me in

I'll start swimming now, cant be too far acrross this little pond can it?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

You're welcome! Take a look at the Craigslist ads in any oceanside city; you should be able to find people who are looking for crews and often no experience necessary, just a willingness to help out. A few months to a year on board and you'll have a much better idea of whether it's for you or not.

And a slip is not a necessity. Most bays and inlets have places where you can anchor safely at night without access to the water, sewer, etc that a slip would have. In warmer areas, showers are usually dips in the ocean, and toilets often of the 'bucket and chuck-it' variety. Your biggest problem and worry may be pirates which are an issue in some locales, from what I've heard. You'll need to consider security.

Hey, might as well live the dream if a cubicle residency isn't in the offing. Sometimes harsh economic conditions force you to make the best decisions for yourself.

PS: Oh, and there's also 'Tall Ship' training ships. For a fee, you can learn to work a real tall ship.

edit on 373721pmFridayf37Fri, 24 Jan 2014 14:37:37 -0600America/Chicago by signalfire because: addendum

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Do it!! My brother had been talking aboit it for years and finally pursued his dream four years ago. He' s now living the life on. A 40 footer in guadeloupe charching 200$ a sunset with supper on deck and on top of livig the life he always wanted he's making pretty decent $$$$ with it. Go ahead gt off the grid go live.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

You bet! I'll come get you....

Thinking about posting an ad on craiglist to offer my weekend free time to anyone needing a hand completing their to-do-list. I would like to immerse myself into the community.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

You must have been reading my mind
or visa versa...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Golantrevize

aahhaa You've got me pumped!

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
idk about boats, but i've had a taste of a beach house, and i want one of those really badly, just the plot land is beyond expensive though

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I lived on my 26 foot sailboat for 5 years I'll give you some information on what you need to know in a couple of hours , I'm in transit right now.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DonVoigt

I'll be waiting

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Just posted an ad to offer my free time. I'm in a very good mood right now despite my earlier thread today.
Life truly is what you make of it.

Great mood...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I love the idea of what you've mentioned in this thread!

I've always wondered what it would be like to live on a ship or a boat. I've often wondered how I could get a job on a ship, but it's all so foreign to me.

I hope you get to experience it, I believe it'd be a blast! Think of the freedom in having a home you can take wherever you want...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Good luck! It would be a great life adventure.

My husband and I have actually discussed retiring to a boat, probably a decent fishing boat with a comfy berth rather than that though since he's a fisherman instead of a sailor. That's many years down the road yet, but I agree with you, it would be a pleasant lifestyle.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Statistically, it appears men are the ones who do this. I wonder why that is.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

FlySolo

You bet! I'll come get you....

Thinking about posting an ad on craiglist to offer my weekend free time to anyone needing a hand completing their to-do-list. I would like to immerse myself into the community.

Oh how I wish. Life has stagnated for me recently.
I'm good with maintence, electrics, woodwork etc so if you make it across this little pond I'll be waiting with tool bag in hand

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Be prepared for this...

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

That looks like a ton of work, but a ton of fun as well! I've said on here many times before, I love learning new stuff and it seems like that would be the perfect place to learn a lot of handy things!
edit on 24-1-2014 by Mapkar because: Correcting autocorrections.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

FlySolo

Be prepared for this...

I refuse to click the play button, it'll just fill my head with bad thoughts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join