It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Developing story: Shooting at Purdue University

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I apologize up front for the lack of links as I am posting from my cell phone. There has been a shooting reported at Purdue University in Lafayette, Indiana in their electrical engineering building. One person in custody shown on wish-tv channel 8. Reports of one person shot.

Any information and links are appreciated. Officer was holding a black backpack with an individual in handcuffs.

So sad.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Sounds like a possible grudge shooting. Those happen sometimes, especially in cities.

I still like to know about things like this though, S&F
edit on 21-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Here's a link
www.jconline.com...
And another
chicago.cbslocal.com...

Sounds like they are no longer on lock-down...except for the EE building where the incident supposedly occurred.

Another school week, another shooting. One sends a child to an educational institution with an expectation of some safety and security.

I hope there are no critical casualties. My positive thoughts and prayers go out to the Purdue community.

edit on 21-1-2014 by watchesfromwall because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2014 by watchesfromwall because: Add

edit on 21-1-2014 by watchesfromwall because: Add

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
No word yet on the condition of the victim.

As background I can add that the president of Purdue University is Mitch Daniels. Daniels most recently served as governor of Indiana and previously was budget director under President Bush. He was considered a presidential possibility during his years as governor. I would expect him to speak with media at some point.

The shelter in place alert to students has been lifted according to reports.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

DancedWithWolves
No word yet on the condition of the victim.

Is there one victim?

If so, is that victim an employee?

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
NEWS CONFERENCE saying one fatality. Victim and suspect were both males. Suspect not cooperating. Police believe the shooting specifically targeted the victim. Suspect walked out of the building and did not resist arrest. Active investigation. Shooting occurred in the basement classroom area.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
There are only two reasons that the MSM even cares about this...

Fear mongering (another shooting, take all the guns! Americans cannot be trusted!)

Political agenda (another shooting, Obama was right! Americans cannot be trusted!)

Otherwise, this is a local news story at best...

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
If I were a cynical man I might say that if I wanted to push an unpopular agenda I might target innocents. Luckily I am not a cynical man. Some people are just angry and crazy and violent.

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I predict the shooter will be a foreign-born(probably Chinese) graduate student angry at being given a bad grade or not having his dissertation accepted.

We can rule out this being as a result of a romantic triangle, as tech geeks don't get no romance.
edit on 21-1-2014 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

madmac5150
There are only two reasons that the MSM even cares about this...

Fear mongering (another shooting, take all the guns! Americans cannot be trusted!)

Political agenda (another shooting, Obama was right! Americans cannot be trusted!)

Otherwise, this is a local news story at best...

Madmac,

Well it is a local event for some of us posting.

Similarly, there are plenty of Purdue students from many states and countries. ATS isn't MSM, but it is an another media avenue (one more so for truth, hopefully).

Also, it is a PUBLIC U., I believe, so it is important to document such incidents for the future of gun laws, or lack thereof, on campus.

I suppose what I am trying to say is allow some time for more information to come out - then we can all review and discuss. Allow some grieving time for the community this afternoon. Is that too much to ask?

I'm definitely pro-2nd amendment and NOT a fan of POTUS; just a fellow citizen of Indiana who has a couple of friends worried about their students.

Peace.

edit on 21-1-2014 by watchesfromwall because: Aaaaa

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by starviego

Wrong. Hah! You clearly know nothing about us geeks..

I was in the lab two buildings away when we got the school text message. It was a sensitive experiment so we locked the doors, dimmed the lights and kept going. Turned on a police scanner and heard that they were looking for two, possibly three suspects.

They caught the first one outside of the Electrical Engineering building. Pictures of someone in handcuffs outside of a bathroom in the Armstrong building were circulating on twitter feeds corroborated what we heard about a possible second shooter on the scanner (and from word of mouth on campus).

Edit: A person in our research group knows someone that was in the building at the time and said he heard 6 shots. The story circulating around the community is that the shooter came in, shot the victim, allegedly a TA and left.
Edit: Now it's coming to light that victim and suspect both worked as TAs for the same professor in Electrical & Computer Engr. Local paper is reporting two shots btw.

edit on 21-1-2014 by Qubert because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2014 by Qubert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The victim has been identified as Purdue senior Andrew Boldt. The suspect is Purdue senior Cody Cousins who police continue to say is not cooperating.

A LinkedIn profile possibly related to the victim lists Andrew Boldt as an undergraduate teaching assistant at Purdue University.

edit on 21-1-2014 by DancedWithWolves because: add

posted on Jan, 21 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Andrew happens to be from my neck of the woods:
Andrew Boldt on WISN 12

new topics

top topics

join