It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers DDoS Attack Many Gaming Services

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I really wish there was a better forum to put this because this is a serious issue.

2 hackers (DerpTrolling and chFtheCat) have been DDoS'ing many game services.
DerpTrolling has been notice to have taken down services like EA,League of Legends, Club Penguin, World of Tanks, Play Station Network, and much more. He has also trolled and taken down many twitch live streams.

chFtheCat has been responcible for taking down Steam, the PC gaming giant! It's been down for a while now and it's just when the final day of the Steam Holiday Sale!

I've been monitoring thier activities and it seems that both are competing against each other in a way.
DeprTrolling is attacking any service competing against Steam. While chFtheCat is attacking steam related services.

Both twitter accounts are here and they are very active at the moment
twitter.com...
twitter.com...

This is a very big dilemma and it is harming the gaming community. The gaming community is very huge and is a large part of what makes the internet, the internet

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Hacking isn't destroying the gaming community. "Services" like Steam are destroying gaming.

What ever happened to buying a game and playing it without being forced to install some 3rd party bloatware?

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I think they're doing a service.

There really are things more important to be done right now than play video games. I'm not saying video games are bad, but they're a big freakin' part of the rapid destruction of American minds. OK, they're bad.

I'm glad we have all these small unit tactics experts now, but God forbid if they ever actually had to carry a weapon for more than a mile and maybe have to use it. I tell you that there are tough times ahead, and there are very few people in this country who are not so spoiled as to be able to survive very long.

While the servers are down, learn how to do something.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Mon1k3r
I think they're doing a service.

There really are things more important to be done right now than play video games. I'm not saying video games are bad, but they're a big freakin' part of the rapid destruction of American minds. OK, they're bad.

I'm glad we have all these small unit tactics experts now, but God forbid if they ever actually had to carry a weapon for more than a mile and maybe have to use it. I tell you that there are tough times ahead, and there are very few people in this country who are not so spoiled as to be able to survive very long.

While the servers are down, learn how to do something.

I would say T.V. and movies and cells phones, well before I would say video games.

I was on a game yesterday when it was attacked.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

They're all just distractions. Anything to keep people from using their brains for themselves. Just keep them occupied with inconsequential garbage, or fear generating propaganda.

It's not the media that's the problem so much as it's how much of our lives we dedicate to it's consumption. Being fed an artificial world and living in it kills creativity and destroys the imagination.

That is the goal.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
What a nerd, "this is a serious issue" No it isn't. My xbox live gold ran out last week and I still haven't resubscribed. I actually have a life besides just playing games (unless i'm stoned drunk and don't/can't drive)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Well I have a life as well and I am currently a programmer and musician that will will make a living with programming and music, but it seems that many of you aren't involved in the gaming community and industry so you wouldn't understand.
From a gamers standpoint you would understand that this is an issue.
Oh and by the way, by serious issue (in the op), I meant the fact that one person can easily DDoS massive services at ease. That is a serious issue

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

Steam doesn't make you install 3rd party software. Only the games that are published by that 3rd party software force you to do so. Steam is the best thing out there for the gaming community. The best part of it is the fact that it has helped Indie developers get somewhere and become something
edit on 3-1-2014 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Well that explains a lot for me. I noticed certain online services weren't connecting. Oh well, I actually think it's pretty funny. Don't get me wrong, I love video games, but I also love a good troll. Even if I'm one of the "victims", I can't help but think "Well played, sir".

But while you're waiting for the servers to come back...(Warning: Inappropriate Language)

Direct link: www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Kuroodo

I wont use steam don't want add ons they are malware.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I went onto GTA5 online on my ps3 to find that someone has either given me $67million to spend, or it's a bug, either way im one happy chap!!

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Depends on the game. As a gamer, myself, I don't think that games are bad in moderation. Everybody needs a break now and then and for me, there is no better mental break than a game. If I were to stay "on" every waking minute, I'd probably not survive.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The DDoS "hackers" continue their chaos. Steam was down once again for a short while.
League of Legends was down for a while.

Now DerpTrolling has targeted xbox live, a service used by millions.

This has been going on for 3 days straight. Soon enough this is going to start causing large losses of money.
What can be really bad is if they start targeting services that are not gaming related and are used worldwide....Youtube anyone?

Apparently DerpTrolling's handler got raided by the feds, who knows what they might get from there....

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I havent noticed a thing. All of my games are fine.

Ha yeah but then I don't pay a monthly subscription to PLAY my purchased games online. I just play them on the servers that have been there all along, unhindered, unrestricted.

Or they're standalone games that don't require live internet access to allow me to play them.

Steam, that's the bloatware.

"Wino, whats your steam?"
"What are you talking about."
"Your steam ID."
"Uhh.. I don't have one."
"Oh. you got xfire?"
"no."
"Oh. why not?"
"What for?"
"Oh nm."

crisis averted.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

No issues here either and I'm on Steam so either I wasn't gaming when they DDOS'd it or their attempt was pretty ineffectual as I've not been impeded from gaming when I feel the urge regardless of using "bloatware" as you call it (I prefer playing with humans no matter how bad that sounds.)

Juvenile script kiddies. Somebody should probably put them in time out.

join