It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Stands Up: Calls US Government, "Malicious Hackers"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Wait you're not defending Apple on this are you? Are you saying you believe that Apple, probably the most exclusive computer manufacturer in the world, whose machines can only run apps and programs that make it through their own Draconian approval process, didn't know that the NSA put spyware on the iPhone?

I don't care how Apple's PR gurus spin this, there is no way they didn't know exactly what was going into their hardware.

And anyway why is any of this even a surprise anymore? Bill Binney and Thomas Drake have been trying to tell people that the NSA literally knows everything there is to know about you since way before Snowden. Drake said that "The Program" went live after 9/11 and nothing was off the table for the NSA.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Woah! Star for you.. I got more reading to do now thanks for that

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

I don't buy it, they've stopped short of directly implicating anybody, they chose the words 'Malicious hackers" as a blanket term so the guilty parties remain somewhat anonymous.

I believe they know exactly what's going on and they are powerless to stop it, so they need to make statements like these to placate customers, If apple customers knew that there was no stopping the NSA's snooping sales would drop and the stocks would flounder. This was just bit of clever PR IMO.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Seems like there's a massive oppertunity for a company to market a phone thats designed from the ground up to be free of backdoors and spyware. I'd buy one!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Corporate cya from apple to lull more people into buying their product .. it will still be business as usual for them and uncle scam to violate peoples privacy.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I have apple products and love them but my unfortunate first thought matched with most herein - a front. But why would Apple need to say this other than some brainless plan to steer radicals. That would mean the government was in on it. Doubtful.

Hoping to boost revenue by exploiting the NSA and siding with the people? Possible but this subject is touchy right now and therefore risky for advertising purposes (could too easily backfire).

If this statement is straight - good for them. But people are so untrusting right now they may have to work harder if they want to reassure people of their stance (if that's their aim). Not because we don't trust them but because we don't understand the reach of the NSA. Take it to Washington for legislation change, risk losses to stand up for people's rights....those sorts of things.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
At some point people are going to need to form a united legal front together and take NSA to court, anytime they cross the line. Who defines the line, simple the people do, they who keep the government in a job.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Good for Apple, too bad they're hypocrites. Don't forget, this is a company that as part of it's terms of use retains the right to remotely disable your hardware or scan your device for any data they wish.

While they might be saying the right things here, Apple is not one of the good guys in this fight. Apple is the shadiest of all the large tech companies.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by teslahowitzer

I agree and one way to help is to not buy any new electronics. And consider getting rid of your cell phones, these companies are big players with NSA.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Blaine91555
It's hard to know who to believe to be honest. These companies have a lot to loose by alienating the government and who knows what is staged propaganda and what is not? When billions and billions are on the line, I can easily see statements like these being just a way to keep the heat off, while at the same time cooperating with the NSA.

I think the companies have more to lose if they alienate their customers. Also, I'm glad to have companies as allies. And the government and government employees - especially the leadership - has a lot to lose.

The corporations are much smarter allying with the people, especially for long-term strategy. The totalitarian government has no chance of staying around forever.

Even if the leadership doesn't think so now, what goes up must come down and they are going to hit the ground with the force of a thousand hammers of justice. At least I like to think so.
edit on 01amWed, 01 Jan 2014 07:49:02 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 01amWed, 01 Jan 2014 07:49:49 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Hmmm, IMO companies like Apple and all the others wouldn't know, because one or more of the programmers are probably 3 letter agency employees FIRST. Not rocket science

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Wasn't it made illegal for any corporation that works with the NSA to say so openly? So I'd say Apple doesn't have much choice to deny it anyway. Sure, they may not like it and call the NSA or whomever compromised and sabotaged their products "malicious hackers", but I have my doubts they aren't in on this somehow.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie

I don't buy it, they've stopped short of directly implicating anybody, they chose the words 'Malicious hackers" as a blanket term so the guilty parties remain somewhat anonymous.

I believe they know exactly what's going on and they are powerless to stop it, so they need to make statements like these to placate customers, If apple customers knew that there was no stopping the NSA's snooping sales would drop and the stocks would flounder. This was just bit of clever PR IMO.

I'd say that they implicate everybody who is hacking, and the government is hacking.
Neither do they say they didn't know something was going on, or how long, because everybody and their granny knew what was going on. Snowden, with his actions, ended the silence of fear, and put everything out in the open. Apple speaking out like this, are not without further risk from the hacking, we have already seen the childish vindictiveness of the NSA on others...a government tool of all things, while the NSA pursues the likes of Snowden, Manning and Assange for doing what they, the NSA are doing. The NSA/government message is clear, 'we can do it, nobody else can' Who wants pircks like that in power?
Three cheers to Apple, and I hope they stay safe.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord
Recently, news came out that the NSA could easily have its way with any iPhone it chooses, including the data on the phone, call logs, voice mail, and voice calls. This, because of the NSA's sophisticated software, "DROPOUTJEEP" that specifically targeted iOS devices -- iPads with wireless plans are apparently at risk as well.

Business Insider is covering Apple Computer's response: Just Two Words From Apple On The NSA's iPhone Hacking Show How The Tech Community Now Hates The NSA, which is echoing the growing hatred seen in Silicon Valley toward the NSA and the US Government's willingness to allow the NSA to continue. Apple's statement, specific to DROPOUTJEEP is; "We will continue to use our resources to stay ahead of malicious hackers and defend our customers from security attacks, regardless of who’s behind them."

Perhaps the strongest words yet, from any company who's hardware or software has been compromised by the NSA. Look for things to get worse in 2014.

I tend to think "malicious hackers" isn't severe enough.

right...poor innocent apple....I call BS.....look at their patents, that had the listening devices built in that will work, even when the phone shows it's owner that it has been turned off......if they didn't want to spy don't integrate it into your hardware and your OS software

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I am in agreement. I also believe that the government is the culprit behind the recent hacking of retail giant TARGET's computer system...compromising millions of customers' credit cards and pin numbers.

...now if they would have just agreed to unionize their workers....it many not have happened. [/s]

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

godWhisperer

More Orwellian double-speak. Reportedly Apple devices are infested with NSA surveillance software. Hard to believe a company could be so thoroughly hacked. Either Apple is ridiculously inept or Apple is complicit in the NSA's doings.

Modern software is built out of layers:
Applications
Programming API's
Device drivers/Firmware (Storage, Network, Audio, Video)
Hardware

All the NSA is access via the network to get the storage data of the device. Since all these smartphones have automatic update features via the network, all the NSA would have to do is figure out how that communication protocol works and either wait for or "force" an update to get their software uploaded.
That wouldn't take up much more space than a single application.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Another point I would like to make regards Apple speaking out, would everyone rather they didn't? Or would everyone prefer to be soothed by the oily politicians like this man, UK foreign secretary William Haig, (probably the most important office after Prime minister) Speaking after the Snowden story broke.

We now know that every word is a pack of lies!

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Strong words or scripted words? I choose scripted. They are all in the same boat. Apple are paid to tell you that they are keeping you secure from the NSA. Well, if you believe what Apple say, you should start believing in fairy tales.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

xuenchen

teslahowitzer
these anti freedom scumbags will never give up their control or power, cover up, or whatever, there is no end to the tenticles of control. corporate funded eliteist must be defeated to bring down, and the sooner we learn this fact, the better. This BS story from apple is just a smokescreen to make you feel better and think they are on your side...nothing is furthur from the truth....

I agree.

This is nothing more than standard puppy petting and kitten brushing to make Apple look like they are trying to actually do something.

Apple is a giant company and well established within the international corporatist agenda.

Didn't Apple just recently get a government contract?? Link

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Let's get real here. Deep within the government ranks all of this NSA snooping has nothing to do with terrorism, although that being the cover story and red herring. It seems obvious to me that this spy network is being used as one large money grab. Armed with this massive spy network they know what business deals are currently in place and who is working on what and can use this info to invest accordinly. It's like the hacker Kevin Mitnick said in his book, "If i really wanted to make money hacking phone lines i would have hacked lawyers to see what future deals were in place."

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join