It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big hardware at small basecamp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
On my drive to work yesterday I passed basecamp on highway 6 as I do almost everyday. What was strange though was that the place was a hive of activity. Now for those few of you out there that have been by there before you'll know that the place is dead most of the time. I counted 2 C130's and some larger aircraft for which I can only assume were C5's. For all you aviation buffs out their I apologize for my ignorance but I know they were bigger than c130's yet looked similar (upon further research I recognise they could have been C17s ). They all sported matte gray wraps with the standard USAF decals and #'s etc. As for the C130's though one had a digital camouflage wrap with desert colours which I though was unusual but it had marines decals on it so it seemed legit. The other one was different though, it had windows running along the side as if it was solely made for personnel transport and it was white with no military insignia almost as if it was a private aircraft but I don't even know if you can get private C130's or if so what was it doing at a military airstrip. I checked out online and found a picture of what looks exactly like it- www.lazygranch.com...
Answers please haha. Opinions and thoughts welcome too.
Many thanks for reading

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Personnel transport or possibly a special operations purpose would be my opinion..

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Interesting thread...could you give more insight as to where you are located? I'd like to pull some google images of the base you're referring to. Also, I can't see that image, firewall blocks it at work for me

SnF, OP! Thanks for the info, looking forward to hearing back from you

posted on Dec, 26 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Thomasz
On my drive to work yesterday I passed basecamp on highway 6 as I do almost everyday. What was strange though was that the place was a hive of activity.

PLEASE - you have more opportunity that probably anyone to keep an eye on this place - buy a digital camera, and take pictures of anything out of the ordinary that you see at Basecamp. I caught this, October 2010.

edit on 26-12-2013 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I'm still having difficulty understanding how anyone passes Base Camp on their way to work. ;-) I believe you, I mean there are ranches out there, oil and gas refineries and such, but it still is interesting. I always figured the only people that see Base Camp on a regular basis are truck drivers.

I'm sure you saw my other thread on Base Camp. It often takes years to discover what they were doing, and often you never get the story at all.

Regarding telling the difference between the C-17 and C-5, it can often be tricky. The C-5 is bigger, but without a frame of reference, they both look big. The C-5 and C-17 have a very distinct difference in the tail section. Use this photo of the two planes together to see the difference.
C-5 and C-17

And please keep us informed. Binoculars and a notepad will do wonders. Tail numbers are handy, and most people don't own the photo gear to get a tail number from a distance, or they don't haul it around on a daily basis. Binoculars are a cheap alternative. Get binocs that accept a 1/4-20 fitting and use a monopod. Obviously image stabilized binocs are better, but most any decent glass and the monopod will get the job done.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Well I live right by basecamp in warm springs, NV. Used to be a lot of people round these parts but most up sticks and left, goodness knows why and as for my work that's another story for another time
. I know I should take more photos of the place and stuff but I'm far more interested in TTR but it's a pretty long drive for me and gas is pretty scarce out here. If I get any photos I'll be sure to throw them in this thread or if I have any more stories it'll be on here first folks. Anyone know what happened to the cranky guy who used to work security for basecamp, haven't seen him since back in the early 00's when he used to come into the long gone bar in warm springs, anyhow I'm rambling
ps. if theres anything you want to know about basecamp put it in the thread and I'll get up there when I have time and check it oout

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by FosterVS

For sure man I've been meaning to for a while now, I'll be doing more research etc. on the place in the summer. Any requests or anything don't hesitate to ask.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I thought I was an old timer because I recall (just barely) the payphone at Warm Springs that didn't accept money. You had to have a calling card. Or maybe I'm delusional and it was someplace else. I was never around when the bar was open. A few years ago they fenced off the area so you can't even peak at the guts of the bar through the window. [Actually a hole in the wall. There was no glass.]

Does the gas station still exist on route 6 east of Base Camp? I think the area was called Lockes. There was a one person store that sold food and gas. The pump was so old that you would just tell them the reading on the pump and they would compute the bill on a calculator in the store. I found it on google earth: 38°33'18.24"N 115°46'27.49"W

This might be about the Lockes. The map could be better. ;-)
Lockes

I wonder why the refinery in Railroad Valley doesn't put up a pump? I know exactly what you mean about gas being scarce around there. I did a trip to Ely once and explored Jake's Valley on post from John Lear that turned out to be pretty useless, except for the scenery.

If you ever cross the border into California or have a friend making the trip, the current generation of CARB rated gas cans are well worth the money. They are the only kind that you can leave in the car and not smell gas.
CARB rated gas can

I'm going to send you a PM you will find useful about Base Camp.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

gariac
I thought I was an old timer because I recall (just barely) the payphone at Warm Springs that didn't accept money. You had to have a calling card. Or maybe I'm delusional and it was someplace else. I was never around when the bar was open. A few years ago they fenced off the area so you can't even peak at the guts of the bar through the window. [Actually a hole in the wall. There was no glass.]

Kids and I climbed up to the source of Warm Springs. And somewhere I have picture(s) of those two crazy kids IN that pool at Warm Springs. Lucky they didn't end up with some kind of skin condition.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

There is some mineral build up by the spring. But if you notice, they run the water across the highway for cattle grazing. I assume it is just warm water by the time it has traveled on the land. Granted cattle can drink water not potable, but it can't be too toxic.

They fenced off the water at Crystal Springs. That is one impressive watering hole. It looks like the fence is just on the tourist side,i.e. next to where the base workers park by the ET Highway sign. You could probably get there from another direction. That is cold water, though it didn't stop some skinny dipping ladies.

You probably know about the hot spring across from the R Place. Very crowded. If you want an odd ball place to stay, there is a hotel in Caliente where they pipe the hot spring water into a whirlpool tub in your room. I think it is at
37°37'15.68"N 114°30'38.25"W. The place was owned by FLDS, but has changed owners due to it being the Warren Jeffs crime scene. Lots of oddball stuff goes on in these little desert towns. I think this is the Scientology re-education camp:
37°36'14.46"N 114°31'57.38"W

posted on Dec, 28 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Regarding the Scientology re-education camp, I got my roads confused. I knew it was before you hit town, but I think it is on Route 93. That would make it 37°37'17.81"N 114°32'8.85"W.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

gariac
There is some mineral build up by the spring. But if you notice, they run the water across the highway for cattle grazing. I assume it is just warm water by the time it has traveled on the land. Granted cattle can drink water not potable, but it can't be too toxic.

"Some" mineral buildup? The pool looked like it was 1/4 full of minerals. Crazy kids.

They fenced off the water at Crystal Springs. That is one impressive watering hole. It looks like the fence is just on the tourist side,i.e. next to where the base workers park by the ET Highway sign. You could probably get there from another direction. That is cold water, though it didn't stop some skinny dipping ladies.

I knew there was a spring there, and noticed it fenced off. Thought it was a hot spring, was gonna sneak and go for a dip. If it's cold, guess not.

You probably know about the hot spring across from the R Place. Very crowded.

Yeah, I actually camped with holiday trailer on the north side of the fence there, which I believe is BLM land. Could be wrong, but no one complained. Other campers were doing the same thing. I stop and go for a dip every time I visit.

I am compiling a list of hot springs to visit, soak my old bones.

If you want an odd ball place to stay, there is a hotel in Caliente where they pipe the hot spring water into a whirlpool tub in your room. I think it is at 37°37'15.68"N 114°30'38.25"W. The place was owned by FLDS, but has changed owners due to it being the Warren Jeffs crime scene. Lots of oddball stuff goes on in these little desert towns. I think this is the Scientology re-education camp:
37°36'14.46"N 114°31'57.38"W

I have seen that place on the way through, never stopped though.
Gonna have to check it out next trip.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I believe the land north of the hot spring at Alamo is private. There is a for sale sign on the parcel as you drive on 93. Same goes for the additional hot spring area just south of the public hot spring. The owner has had a pissing contest with the state of Nevada, supposedly wanting more money than the state is willing to pay.

If you go into the BLM office in Tonopah, they sell maps that indicate the larger parcels of private land versus BLM. There are very small pockets of private land that came about by mining claims that are not on the map. The recorders office for each county is online, so with a lot of work you can figure out private land that way. I've seen weird islands of land totally empty.

I have/had a spreadsheet of hotsprings I got off the internet before it got polluted with people selling crap. Doing an internet search today on hot springs brings up a lot of peddlers. However this page looks interesting:
Nevada hot springs

Bear in mind the locals will tell you any amount of BS to keep you away from "their spot." They even put up fake no-trespassing signs. If you find a chain on BLM land, they will send the ranger with bolt cutters to take care of the problem. The BLM doesn't seem to get quite as concerned with the fake no trespassing signs. Haligan Mesa near Base Camp can a fake federal no trespassing sign. It is kind of faded. The feds only own the top of the hill, which they have fenced in. I checked this out personally at the recorder's office on Radar Road.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

gariac
I believe the land north of the hot spring at Alamo is private. There is a for sale sign on the parcel as you drive on 93. Same goes for the additional hot spring area just south of the public hot spring. The owner has had a pissing contest with the state of Nevada, supposedly wanting more money than the state is willing to pay.

You mean Ash Springs, not Alamo, right?

I have/had a spreadsheet of hotsprings I got off the internet before it got polluted with people selling crap. Doing an internet search today on hot springs brings up a lot of peddlers. However this page looks interesting:
Nevada hot springs

For those interested, I made a KMZ file for GE of the hot springs in Nevada listed at the link supplied by gariac. The temperature in Celsius shows up in the description. Tried to find what upper limit is on taking a dip in these, I found this "The best water temperature is 38℃~42℃. Do not exceed 45℃"
www.topsecretbases.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Yes, Ash Springs. R Place uses the same water source, though it isn't quite as hot by the time it gets piped there.

I checked out a number of the markers. Some end up at ranches. Others terminate at what looks like it might be an improved area for public use. It is hard to tell. Occasionally you find a nice house near the spring, which I presume is someone's desert retreat. You can't tell from Google Earth if you are looking at a man made pool for a hot spring, a natural seep, a septic field, or a mining cyanide pit.

Diana's Punch Bowl is relatively famous. Terrain alone would stop anyone from going in it. There are a number of photos of it on the internet, nearly all for sale so I will skip the free advertisement. Google search is so "gamed" by SEO (search engine optimization) these days that it is hard to find websites with actual information. Which reminds me of a trick. Use Duck Duck Go for searches since the SEO companies don't bother to game it. Here is a decent link on the punchbowl:
Diana's Punch Bowl

I noticed Silver Peak has an abandoned airstrip.
37°45'57.15"N 117°37'47.76"W
I spoke too soon about Duck Duck Go being a refuge from SEO. One of the earliest hits is for an airport shuttle from Silver Peak Airstrip. ;-)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Thermal Waters of Nevada
www.nbmg.unr.edu...

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I see the hot spring at Ash Springs (#175) didn't even make the temperature list.

You might find this review of one of the hot springs amusing:
Comannder Mark

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

gariac
You might find this review of one of the hot springs amusing:
Comannder Mark

Your link is buggered.

top topics

join