It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving fires

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Well that's simple. you just set fire to your own place, burn it down before the fire reaches it. That way it will already be gone before the forest fire gets there.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I am thinking that if you were to build a mote which could be quickly flooded with water, I would take the tractor and blade, go 2 rounds about 6 inches deep at most 12 feet wide. One that you could lay hoses into to create a water barrier? It could be filled with an herbal ground cover to conceal so as to keep it hidden.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Here's a question if someone could answer it. You often see in movies, the character will have to run into a burning building. So they grab a piece of cloth soak it in water and tie it round their mouths

Does this prevent breathing in smoke ? Or just a myth ?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
An interesting site, what do you think?

www.rfs.nsw.gov.au...

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Will not be choosing the modified Janet Reno option: must kill the prepper in order to save the prepper, thanks.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I'm not much of a prepper in the doomsdays sense of the word... but I do live in the Rocky Mountains out here in Colorado you know... 100+ inch snow base, avalanches, spring wildfires... the flooding that hit Bolder really did have house sized boulders and ripped up trees, in it....

Living here you become very aware of natures often fatal temper tantrums and we prep for those...

Now I'm no expert on fires but it's normally the smoke and or heat that 'Do You In'... not so much the fire itself... I've read stories of people trying to hide in basements or storm-cellars to escape an on coming wildfire... No they didn't burn but as the fire raged overhead it sucked out all the O2 in the shelter...or the smoke gets em...

In my part of the world no one plans to dig in to wait out a fire... we all do the smart thing and run
you come back after the fact and prey you did lose everything... good thing you have a BOB too right?

edit on 23-12-2013 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

No, it's not a myth. Putting a dampened cloth over your nose and mouth helps to prevent breathing in the hot air and any flying embers that would destroy the delicate lung tissue. It only adds moments of protection, not hours.

antar: a mote of sorts may be possible without compromising security/concealment but I'm wondering if some sort of stone "fence" or barricade might not be a better option? Good link, btw. Got a few pointers regarding clothing, etc. All the information on that site presupposes that one has an above ground home which would indeed be disastrous. Being underground would afford more protection presumably. Also wondering about stored combustibles inside the dwelling (bullets, oxygen tank, etc.). Not sure what the flash point is on such things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join