It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physiognomy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Hey guys,

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything on Physiognomy in ATS. So I'm posting here, please move this thread if it belongs elsewhere (I have no idea which category is appropriate).

Physiognomy (from the Gk. physis meaning "nature" and gnomon meaning "judge" or "interpreter") is the assessment of a person's character or personality from his outer appearance, especially the face. The term physiognomy can also refer to the general appearance of a person, object or terrain, without reference to its implied characteristics, as in the physiognomy of a plant community.

Physiognomy

Also check out this article (I found it interesting):

Our Fate is Written on Our Faces

Anyone ever heard of Physiognomy before?
edit on 12-12-2013 by Topato because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Oh Physiognomy.

Where have we heard of this before? Certainly no one has ever used people's appearances to justify/rationalize their extermination or enslavement?

Certainly nothing like this has ever been used on Jews or Black Africans.

Um.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

Why is it always "Jews or Black Africans" that enter the mix first?

Honestly, it's not limited to just that secular group of Ethnicities. Was it perpetrated more? Sure, but not limited to.

Let's just add every ethnic group to the mix, especially in regards to any immigrant that came over in the early history of America. Which coincidentally is not limited to Jews or Black Africans.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

sulaw

Why is it always "Jews or Black Africans" that enter the mix first?

Honestly, it's not limited to just that secular group of Ethnicities. Was it perpetrated more? Sure, but not limited to.

Let's just add every ethnic group to the mix, especially in regards to any immigrant that came over in the early history of America. Which coincidentally is not limited to Jews or Black Africans.

Those are just the most well-known examples.
Certainly Physiognomy has been used against many others, as well as differing Chinese Ethnicities inside China by other Chinese, so too the same in Japan against Japanese Ethnicities, Chinese, Gaijin, etcetera.

Physiognomy is a pseudoscience employed by petty regimes to justify/rationalize the marginalization of any desired race or ethnicity for any or no reason at all.

Blacks and Jews, however, are some of the more historically well known examples of peoples this has been used against, though it was used against Native Americans, Chinese, Irish, and others in America, but, can potentially be said to have been used against near every ethnicity by any other ethnicity if one so desired.

The point I was making, since for whatever reason this Physiognomy thing keeps popping up with people that have never heard of it like it's some kind of coolio-neato thing is that NO, it's NOT Coolio Neato because it's absolutely worthless, and really bad people like to use it against other people to justify/rationalize really bad behaviors against them.

edit on 12/12/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

I most definately agree, Jews and Black African's are always the first to be played. Just wanted to make sure Everyone else was on the board is all.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Topato

Judging someone according to their appearance is not in any way a judgement of their nature. By judging in such a manner, however, they instead display their own physis, their own nature, which just so happens to be the nature of stupidity.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

I have seen a few dodgy looking characters in my time.

And it was written all over them.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

Oh Physiognomy.

Where have we heard of this before? Certainly no one has ever used people's appearances to justify/rationalize their extermination or enslavement?

Um.

I believe it is a lot more detailed and in-depth than racial/religious stereotypes.

I mean look at the article, it mentions eyebrows, long hair etc...

"Forehead - mental abilities;

Eyebrows - sociability;

Upper eyelid - relations with members of the opposite sex;

Angle of the layout of the eyes - worldview;

Size of the pupil - degree of trust of others;

Ears - attitude toward others;

Size of the nose - attitude toward work;

Width of the face - strength of will;

Tip of the nose - reliability;

Width of the lower jaw - inner fortitude, endurance;

Corners of the mouth - optimism;

Lower lip - generosity;

Chin - persistence;"

These traits can be examined in anyone; a specific attitude by looking at ears for example could apply to members of any nationality, not just one.

posted on Dec, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Topato

Right, so, when someone somewhere decides to arbitrarily deny everyone with short fingers access to higher education because people with long fingers are the only ones intelligent and capable enough to make use of a higher education, what then?

How about we round up everyone with bushy eyebrows and beady little shifty eyes and put them into penal camps because they didn't come by those features through anything like heredity, no, their shifty untrustworthy character is written all over their faces.

Perhaps only tall people with a regal bearing should be allowed access to wealth?
Perhaps everyone should get paid according how tall they are regardless what they do in life?

This physiognomy is utter and complete ridiculous nonsense.

We are NOT Pokemon.

new topics

top topics

join