It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Madagascar village 'hit by bubonic plague'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
BBC News

A village in Madagascar has been hit by a deadly outbreak of the bubonic plague, medical experts on the island have confirmed.

Test were carried out after at least 20 people in the village, near the north-western town of Mandritsara, were reported to have died last week.

What makes this so scarry is the fact that a bubonic plague is what killed 25 million people in the dark ages (Black Death). It is currently though a rare plague.

I doubt this will spread past Madagascar. But you know, theres always that one chance (but you shouldn't pay attention to it, but ofcourse, always be prepared for any survival situation)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Scary stuff. Bio weapons test? j/k
It is ATS though

edit on 12/11/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
You never know what part of the world these things can spread too. Air travel,shipping to international ports,all contribute to making an isolated plague a global one. Look at SARS.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kuroodo

It's really sad but there is a game called Pandemic where Madgascar always seems to be the country that survives. According to that game, Madgascar is a very isolated country so if it holds any truth, then it probably won't spread outside of Madgascar. Game logic, lol.

In all seriousness, this is really unfortunate news. However, bubonic plague is treatable with early detection. Hopefully those doctors going out to investigate help stymy the number of deaths that could occur there. Despite Madgascar being my nemesis country in Pandemic, I sincerely hope that it does not become an epidemic there.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

shaneslaughta
Scary stuff. Bio weapons test? j/k
It is ATS though

edit on 12/11/2013 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

Stranger things have happened.
Interesting that its Madagascar, perfect if you wanted a "contained" test. Especially when dealing with something as dangerous as bubonic plague.

Shrieking with sheer terror, the monkeys showered in bubonic plague: Horrific film from 1952 shows British germ warfare tests

Source - The Daily Mail
edit on 201312America/Chicago12pm12pmWed, 11 Dec 2013 17:49:59 -06001213 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Bubonic Plague happens all the time. As recent as 2003, there were over 2,000 cases, and 180 deaths from it.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Zaphod58
Bubonic Plague happens all the time. As recent as 2003, there were over 2,000 cases, and 180 deaths from it.

In Madagascar? lol
edit on 201312America/Chicago12pm12pmWed, 11 Dec 2013 18:02:21 -06001213 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

Last year there were 256 cases, and 60 dead in Madagascar. It's been everywhere from Oregon, to Australia, and everywhere in between.

And yes Plague does happen all the time.
edit on 12/11/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Zaphod58

Last year there were 256 cases, and 60 dead in Madagascar. It's been everywhere from Oregon, to Australia, and everywhere in between.

And yes Plague does happen all the time.
edit on 12/11/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

Oh yes, I see it has a history of bubonic and pneumonic plague.
I stand corrected.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I don't understand just why it is when I see the words "Bubonic Plague" it worries me.
Must be the media and maybe some show I watched many years ago.
As soon as I saw this topic I had to read it and comment, Was it something that started in a cave in Africa and re-occurs every so often?
I believe that is it and it might have been a National Geographic show on the tube.

Whatever, it worries me that it worries me :-)

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Iwinder
I don't understand just why it is when I see the words "Bubonic Plague" it worries me.
Must be the media and maybe some show I watched many years ago.
As soon as I saw this topic I had to read it and comment, Was it something that started in a cave in Africa and re-occurs every so often?
I believe that is it and it might have been a National Geographic show on the tube.

Whatever, it worries me that it worries me :-)

Regards, Iwinder

If its so prevalent and happens so often I wonder why it even makes the news at all.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Because most people don't bother to see how often it occurs, and just hear "plague" and get scared.

new topics

top topics

join