It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you conscious of your tone of voice when you post?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I am very aware of my tone when writing anything online, or even offline for that matter. Online posting is a bit less formal for me than if I were writing something offline, but tone of voice still plays a role in how we communicate, even online.

I think that the reason it is sometimes difficult to tell when someone is being sarcastic or funny or whatever else is because there are so many different personalities on this forum. What I mean is that you can look at a sentence in 2 or 3 different ways, and every single one of those interpretations would be something that someone else would have written. Sort of like, if you think it, someone, somewhere, has probably written it.

So unless you are familiar with the particular writer of a post, it can sometimes be difficult to interpret their meaning. However, if the person is a decent writer, and they understand how to write, then they should be able to tell how their post will be interpreted. And context clues help as well. What I really, really, really hate is some snooty, one-line post. THAT is next to impossible to decipher at times. It could be interpreted as sarcasm, or they could mean what they wrote. And like I said, common sense is not that common anymore.

So just because you think someone would have meant something in particular, because that would make more sense in your opinion, doesn't mean that is what the person truly meant, because there are all manners of opinions to be found on all subjects, when perusing the internet.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Welllll...since we dont USE our VOICES in posting...they cannot produce any TONES...but grammar and exclamatory inflections CAN be assumed to mean a different INTENT of what we are really trying or attempting to say.

Know what I MEAN?????

<< 1   >>

join