It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone here paricipate in The Rucksack Project?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Hi all...hope you are all well.

Whilst staying at my girlfriends house up north in the UK, she told me about something called "The Rucksack Project".

It's been running for a couple of years, it looks like it's not only happening in many cities and towns in the UK, but it has spread to other parts of the world too. Basically, you get a rucksack, and add a few specific items that would be of great help to someone living rough on the streets, you arrange a meeting time and place, and distribute them, maybe with the assistance of a local homeless shelter or similar. Simple.

The idea is to try and get the rucksack and it's contents for as cheap as possible, many thrift/charity shops have things you could include, or you may have old items at home. Many shops will donate the items or give you a huge discount.

Items such as....

The rucksack....obviously.

Sleeping bag
Flask for hot drinks
Warm jacket
Fleece or warm jumper.
Gloves and scarf
Socks/underwear
Tins food (with ring pull)

You get the idea.

It's mainly a Face Book movement right now, and anyone can set one up in their area. I know here in the UK we are hearing the horror stories about what the winter is going to be like. To be honest, any winter is rubbish to sleep rough in, so these rucksacks are a life saver to those with out warm clothing and shelter.

What i like about the project, is that the donations go straight to the people who need it. You donate a filled bag, or items for a bag if that's all you can manage, and it is distributed immediately. No money getting siphoned off elsewhere, no directors of the charity with Aston Martins in the company car park.

Although the video says to give the rucksack straight to someone who is homeless, it is recommended for safety reasons that you do this through an organized drop off at a pre-arranged venue.

For anyone who is interested, here is a bit more about it....to be honest, it's made me rethink what i'm spending out on this Christmas....

The Rucksack Project

CX.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

This is a good idea. Oddly enough, I was thinking of starting up something like this for homeless Vets. But it could be applied to pretty much everybody.

I'm wondering why many charities do not use the funds given to them to buy stuff on this site.

www.dispositionservices.dla.mil...

I've known people who almost shop exclusively there to outfit their home. Lots of good deals to be had.

CX

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Cheers.

There is one here in the UK for homeless vets too, but these projects will cover anyone, regardless of background.

I'm looking into a practical, safe and reusable way of heating food too. Not fire lighting stuff, more like the flameless ration heaters that you can drop a tin into.

CX.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I can't believe this hasn't gained more attention.
What a wonderful idea, everywhere there are homeless people looking at a long winter ahead.
I was one once. It's no fun.

I don't have Facebook, do you know know if this has even begun to spread to the states yet?
I did see on their front page that they asked people not to use the name without them.
If not I'm sure another name could be thought up. I know Anchorage has quite an extensive homeless population that faces temps as low as -40 degrees F.

Thank you for sharing this. Hopefully it can help some people out.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Hi, everyone. I'm Mathew - the founder of The Rucksack Project and the guy you see in the videos above. I found this while searching the project on Google and wanted to drop a reply firstly to thank the OP for helping spread the word and second just to reply Woodsmom.

It's not that we ask people to set up events only in the projects name, but rather, we ask that people don't set-up local Facebook pages using the name and branding as they appear to officially represent the project and often start giving advice that is most definitely not in line with my aims or the safety of volunteers. It's still just me behind the page and trying to keep it on target as it goes viral is a bit of a nightmare, so I like to try and make sure that the project stays on message.

I'd love to see the Rucksack Project jump the pond and start taking place in cities all around the world.. a global wave of kindness... That would be an amazing thing.

Many thanks for your support!

Mathew

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by MathewWhite

Sorry it took me so long to respond.
I love what you are doing, and thank you deeply!
Would you be opposed to me working toward this here? It's a great idea and something that I believe I can do. There are too many homeless families here for being such a harsh place. I actually discovered here recently that the local environmentalists see more charity funds than people do. It's very sad.
Thank you again! Please feel free to private message me if you want!

top topics

join