It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An electrical question for short term power backup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I am in no way mechanically inclined so I thought I would post this questioned to the more knowledgable here on ATS.

Is it possible to direct hardwire a power inverter ( like the ones you can buy for the cigarette lighter in your car) to a wind powered altinator to run lights or a small appliance during a power outage or can you hook up one of those inverters to a battery that you can then charge with the altinator. Also is there any other concerns associated with doing something like this.

I live in a very small rural Saskatchewan town plagued with frequent power outages I am trying to save up for a generator but until then I do have these parts and was thinking I could build something in the meantime.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Daavin

normally ya would hook up the inverter to the battery that your windmill charged

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Daavin
I am in no way mechanically inclined so I thought I would post this questioned to the more knowledgable here on ATS.

Is it possible to direct hardwire a power inverter ( like the ones you can buy for the cigarette lighter in your car) to a wind powered altinator to run lights or a small appliance during a power outage or can you hook up one of those inverters to a battery that you can then charge with the altinator. Also is there any other concerns associated with doing something like this.

I live in a very small rural Saskatchewan town plagued with frequent power outages I am trying to save up for a generator but until then I do have these parts and was thinking I could build something in the meantime.

An inverter from your car runs on the 12v dc supply from the electrical system.

A wind powered alternator might work but wouldn't necessarily be able to produce much instant power. It would need a battery bank.

A good thing to do would be to look up wind power for the home. The internet has a lot of very good resources that will be much more comprehensive than a discussion thread can offer.
Also, if you are buying a generator, you can rectify the unused amperage to re charge battery banks and you won't waste too much fuel when idling.

Low voltage lighting and appliances that handle DC and AC can be bought to make your generator power go further.
edit on 16-11-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Blowback

Thank you, so I charge the battery before hooking up the inverter that way there is no possible damage from current spikes comming from the alt. due to variable wind speeds. Or am I missing something.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints[/

Thanks I have been searching the net but seem to be getting a lot of buy this milti thousand dollar system from us sites that are not giving me much info.

So building a bank of batteries increases power outage or how long it lasts?

Ya I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to this stuff but I want to learn.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

edit on 16-11-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Daavin

You need or have?
automobile alternator
voltage regulator
several 12v batteries
a 12v power inverter
someway to protect the system a fuse or DC breaker (not a household AC breaker, although you should also have one on that side of the circuit)
large fan blades
maybe a gear reducer to get enough RPMs for the alternator
heavy duty wire for connections involving the batteries
meters would be nice too, even just hooking up a cheap DVM or amp meter

Then you got enough to supply whatever the rating in watts or amps of your inverter.
Whole house would take something like 10,000 watts.
Anything will have a tag saying how much power it requires to run just add them up and double it to be safe.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
An alternator needs electrical charge to start working. Once it is creating energy the battery can be removed as it feeds itself. A generator is better, it doesn't need a battery. Both systems would be better if they incorporated batteries though, for higher draw things. Otherwords the energy output would be sporatic and uneven. The effect of the battery buffers along with storing energy.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Daavin
reply to post by badgerprints[/

Thanks I have been searching the net but seem to be getting a lot of buy this milti thousand dollar system from us sites that are not giving me much info.

So building a bank of batteries increases power outage or how long it lasts?

Ya I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to this stuff but I want to learn.

The main purpose of the companies advertising is to make money. They will throw a lot of numbers at you but ignore that. Find a complete system that incorporates a generator, your wind turbine, battery bank and inverter. Study the parts. Once you understand the basic idea then start looking for alternative sources.

For instance, old golf cart batteries work great for a battery bank and some people have access to those pretty cheap. Some car alternators work well as the basis for a turbine. Regular gas generators can supplement a system for peak use times and charge a battery bank if the power is rectified.

Type in basic electricity on google. You will find thousands of free classes and tutorials about electricity.

Learn about AC, DC, battery power and household power. Get some basic knowledge. It's not instant and easy. It takes time.

Then learn about power generation, battery banks and charging, inverting and rectification.

These are all easy to do if you take the time to study from the ground up.

Instant and easy is paying someone else several thousand dollars extra for a system you can learn to build yourself.

Cheap and functional takes time.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Thank you all so much for the advice/direction gonna hit the net and do some heavy reaserch.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
A while back I purchased a small solar set up and a deepcycle battery for under $200.
It provides enough power to run a small LED tv, charge the phones ,laptop and it also came with some low wattage 12volt lights.

Here is a collection of alot of info that may assist you in your quest.

www.alternative-energy-news.info...

otherpower.com...

Good luck!

Peace,
K
edit on k16201331982 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
You can also change all or some of your household lights to LED and run these direct from a 12v battery. Use solar or wind to charge. You can even charge it from a bicycle set up.

P

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
First you need to determine how much power you need for powering your loads (over, micro wave, heater, etc). A quick google seach should give you some answers.

You need to generate an alternating current at 60 or 50 Hz depending on where you live! A car alternator will produce direct current power since it has a bridge (diodes and capacitors placed in special way to make the oscillating current smooth) on the output. However, the car alternator itself (minus the bridge and voltage regulator) will give you an alternating current like a sine wave.

So you need a system that will take the alternating current out put from the alternator activated by the wind and then convert it to direct current with a bridge and voltage regulator, this direct current will be stored in batteries . The current from the batteries can be used to recreate an alternating current for you appliances in time of need.

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
It really comes down to how much you want to spend. That of course reflects on what type of quality of a set up you want-and how long do you want to keep it hot.

The set up at my cabin here has been running for more than 7 years and in that time all I have bought new is a back up inverter. Without knowing how much you want to spend it's quite impossible to set anything up.

The new 'luggage packs' are a hit with some suburbanites because they eliminate the dangers of a generator and they can provide household power in a power outage event for 36-48 hours. Most are strapped to a dolly or wheel trucks which is hooked to a small solar panel to keep it charged. Family campers like them too as you can just roll it out of the ole Suburban and take it too your camp site.

About the only drawback is that they look kinda stupid being rolled around. You will be bombarded with questions like "what is that ugly thing"

I have given up on wind turbines here-just too inconsistent and when you have winds-like last night-of 40 mph you must disassemble them or they will end up in the next county.

XL5

posted on Nov, 18 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
One thing that is VERY inportant in my opinion is that you get an inverter that outputs PURE sine wave! They may cost more, but you will not damage some devices with it as you would with a non-pure sine wave inverter. I had a rechargable flashlight that almost melted/caught fire due to a non-pure sine wave inverter (power resistor must have been glowing!).

Some things just don't run right with non-pure sine wave. Other things are unsafe!

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by XL5

That is a good point. I have a TS Power 600watt 50/60hz line conditioner that I payed a boat load of money for 10 years ago. It was between the outside propane generator and all my computers. I only recommend products from Northern tool-you more than likely know why-and they have promised me over and over that the Sinewave N Power 5000 watt inverter makes the line conditioner obsolete. So far there have been no issues with dirty power. I'm still kinda wondering about it-it makes a bizarre racket. Anytime a Tech tells you that " the noise is routine" is not that assuring. It goes WWWWWwwwwwwEEEEEEEEeeeeeeOOOOOeeeeeWWWWooooooo Like those oldtime British sirens that went Bbbbeee-Bbbbonkk-Bbbbeee-Bbbbonkk

XL5

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Spooky, if the inverter is making that sound with a constant load (lights, space heaters, ect) I wouldn't call it normal. To see if it is normal though, you could search it up on youtube and listen for the same sound.

new topics

top topics

join