It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing 777X setback after union vote

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Let us go with there are anti-union people, pro union people, and those in the middle. However, a little history is in order. The one and only original J. P. Morgan would explain to you, how he would not invest in numerous companies. His basic measure, the wages of the lowest paid worker compared to the President-Owner-CEO. Exceed his absolute ratio and he would not invest or buy the company. Best believe that there are many, many companies, corporations today, he would not buy into for that reason. His policy and genius is not to be mistaken for the Wall Street, J.P. Morgan bank and investment octopus. A fast look at present day companies, those with the lowest employee turn over, high employee morale and loyalty, etc, keep that pay ratio and have sensible labor practices. I have worked in the North, New York State, and the South. I came to the Soviet worker motto after working in North Carolina, and realized it best suited the Southern worker and employer. I had an accounting teacher with certification, who ceased practice after moving to the South. The teacher said, it was due to ethical considerations. Believing that accountants were being expected to justify outrageous salaries and profits for companies, while the companies wanted reports that showed the opposite, to justify lower wages and lack of benefits.
The Triple 7's maybe built in Long Beach. But, the wing assemblies will probably come from Everett, as there are the production facilities for the carbon composite materials and wing fabrication. Worst case, the wings will come from Japan. It would take too long to built the necessary facilities elsewhere to bake the wings.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Looks like the Machinist Union might fold first in the Boeing, Union stand-off. Local news reporting that the machinist union is bringing a new contract offer to Boeing in hopes of keeping the 777 in Everett.

www.komonews.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
More development on the Boeing vs. Machinist feud. Apparently there is some dissention among the union's ranks.
Boeing offered another contract deal that was a minor adaptation to the original deal that was already rejected. Union leaders have rejected this latest deal and now union members and WA law makers are arguing that the union members should have the opportunity to vote on the latest Boeing offer.
Local media reporting that a Facebook page expressing the union members objections to union leaders automatic denial of the deal had been created and that some union members are planning a march in protest to local union leaders head quarters next week.

www.komonews.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Boeing has sent out RFPs for a large facility, preferably with a 9,000 foot runway, access to major roads, and a port nearby. It looks like Pennsylvania has added itself to the fight. So far they're looking at Long Beach, Utah, Pennsylvania, Hunstville, and Charleston for locations.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

22 states so far have made offers to Boeing worth billions of dollars. I get the feeling Boeing wants to build it in Everett but is tired of the working with the unions here. I think if the union members get a chance to vote on the latest deal they may vote yes on it and Boeing will build the 777x in WA.
If not I think Long Beach and the closed C-17 plant would be the fromt runner for wing build and final assembly location.
Boeing is currently building a facility in S.C. to do the East coast built 787's final painting but I don't think even with the added facility space they can handle the 777x build and keep up with production demands like Everett and some other locations.

posted on Dec, 14 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

It's gonna come down to either Long Beach or Huntsville. Mobile may have had a chance at it, if they hadn't landed Airbus and the neo.

posted on Dec, 16 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Facebook page created by machinist union members fighting for the right to vote on Boeing latest contract offer:

www.facebook.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Boeing plans to narrow the sites down to a few by next week. They currently have 22 states offering 54 locations. They plan to narrow them by next week and announce the final location by early in January.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well the 777x may not be built in WA but the other 777's still are. I passed this 777 engine being transported North to Everett today on my way home. Gives a sense of scale when it's larger than the sleeper cab rig pulling it:

edit on 19-12-2013 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I see a lot of those out here going to various places. It's instantly obvious what aircraft it is for. That thing is huge.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

It always takes me back to see the size comparison between the 747 engines and the 777's when they tested the 777 engines on a 747

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

They set it on fire in Honolulu one flight. Crew didn't even know it. They rolled out, and as they were going down the runway, the tower called them and said "Uh, did you know your engine is on fire?" Sat out there a couple months undergoing repairs.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Zaphod58

I would personally love to see them move it and knock the unions down a peg or two.

right....because the company is doing SOOOOO badly....
atwonline.com...

this is BS...they can afford to pay their people more..I'm getting so tired of all these corporations trying to squeeze the worker, at the same they are making billions a year in PROFIT!!!......

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

"Uh, did you know your engine is on fire?"

That's never good.
Good thing they figures it out before they got too far.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Have you seen the offer they made the unions? It was quite nice, and included (in one offer) a $15,000 signing bonus. It's not about the company doing poorly or doing well. It's about the fact that the unions have gotten out of control.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The whole idea that this is a setback for Boeing is bogus. It's a setback for Seattle, maybe, and the so-called "Machinists Union" (They're assembly line workers, not machinists. It's like calling garbage truck drivers "Sanitation Engineers.") But it's not a setback for Boeing, which can build the airplanes anywhere.

The average Machinist makes $33.00 an hour plus Cadillac benefits and the contract offered was for more than that. That's nearly $70K a year before any overtime or benefits thrown in, which pushes total compensation, the 'price paid' by Boeing to keep a worker, nearing $100K a year.

FINALLY Boeing is in a position to say "screw you" to the union thugs that have put them over a barrel for years. If these guys didn't have a job at Boeing they'd barely qualify for a job at McDonald's.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

It is a setback, because instead of being able to use their already built facilities they're going to have to find a new place, build a new facility which is going to cost potentially billions, and it can potentially impact the time frame for the aircraft being built.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I think it is the union leaders that are the issue right now. Union leaders automatically rejected the latest Boeing offer without a member re-vote and then told everyone that Boeing retracted the offer, which Boeing said that it had not and that the offer was still on the table.
There is a growing movement in the union to try to get a vote on the latest contract offer as I think they are realizing that Boeing isn't fluffing on taking it's business elsewhere.
Boeing actually pays above industry standards from what I hear and that is from the countries #2 aerospace state.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I had heard that they were looking to force a vote on the offer and they weren't happy with the leadership.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

They held a small protest/demonstration march yesterday from the Everett plant to the union H.Q.
edit on 19-12-2013 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join