It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Easter Island in the South Pacific: Any questions or requests?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hello All,

I am leading a tour of Easter Island for the next six days. I know a lot of you are interested in archaeology, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone has any specific questions or pictures they'd like me to post or probe.

I was in the Atacama Desert last week in Northern Chile which was also very interesting.

One of the most remote places on earth, we flew out to Easter Island five hours into the ocean from the coast of Chile. Looking out the window while landing, one sees a good size island, with rolling green hills. It is not as tropical, as say, Tahiti, because most of the trees were chopped down by the Polynesian inhabitants to build boats and fuel fires. The conditions are such that the trees didn't regenerate. Over the years, however, trees have been imported and so there is now a fair amount of them dotting the landscape. Flowering bushes and other plants (like hibiscus) give the place its tropical feel.

Since this is an archaeology tour, no one is talking UFO's in my group (science based thinkers) but standing in front of one of the giant statues today, one really has to wonder how they were moved. Of course, the oral history is that the statues could walk. The archaeologist who is with us believes these multi-ton statues were moved by rope and many men. Evidence in a nearby quarry shows that some of the statues (when moved by rope) fell on their way to the villages and many of them have been uncovered and found to be broken or cracked. That's one theory anyway.

One feels like they are on an island in the South Pacific, thousands of miles away from anything. It is the wind that gives you that feeling----it is the sort of wind that reminds you of ancient mariners---something unfamiliar and uncompromising about it. You still imagine pirates here...and shipwrecks.

Pitcairn Island is 1,000 miles away and is the very island where Mutiny of the Bounty took place. That spit of land has always loomed large in my imagination. About 500 people live there still---some are descendents of that mutiny.

We will see crater lakes, volcanoes and many of the 881 statues that dot the island in the coming week. Let me know if anyone is interested in specific pictures or questions.

I'll post pictures later tonight and every night if you are interested.

edit on 11-11-2013 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2013 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Can you look for tool marks or any evidence that it might have been made by humans??

Easter island is one of those places....if I have to live vicariously through you then thats what I would want to know.

Upload some pics...i am sure we would all like to see.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Can you please confirm or deny the existence of the Easter Bunny while you're there?

Pics would be helpful.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Actually, I was there in '92 and I'm pretty sure I lost a neck chain up at Orongo, if you wouldn't mind popping up there and having a look that would be cool.

Slightly more seriously, plenty of pics will be great to see how it's changed.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

If it's not too much trouble, could you bring me one of those statues? I'll send some rope to help you move it.

Seriously, though, that is so cool. I'm jealous.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Would you check for any correlation between the Moai that have "hats" and those that do not? I was curious if there were any similarities regarding face structure. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Cybra

Great question! I will check tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

Nice, enjoy to the utmost! I'm quite ignorant of the statues except for general knowledge and a tv show or two, and haven't read the Wikipedia page to see if this is answered. But something I've wondered is if all the statues are looking in the same direction? Or do they guard the and in every direction? They are guards, right, or aren't they known by that?

If you have a minute, are you seeing any insects that are new to you?

Thanks, and enjoy!!

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

MRuss
Hello All,

I am leading a tour of Easter Island for the next six days. I know a lot of you are interested in archaeology, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone has any specific questions or pictures they'd like me to post or probe.

I'm going with Drums, tool marks if any!!

I'd love to go on a tour of Easter Island! How amazing. I was just reading a book where the author was married there and it was in the intro. How cool imo to get married there by the people of the island. I follow a few of these authors on FB and one is in Bolivia right now, well not at this exact moment but they were today taking pics. I would LOVE to see Puma Punku, Egypt and Easter Island! Such awesome and mysterious places. So much we just don't know.

I'll post pictures later tonight and every night if you are interested.

PLEASE do!!! This is what I like about those that I follow on FB. They post the best pictures of these places, ones you don't see in mainstream. I love seeing peoples personal photos of such places!!

Have fun!

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

It is the wind that gives you that feeling----it is the sort of wind that reminds you of ancient mariners---something unfamiliar and uncompromising about it. You still imagine pirates here...and shipwrecks.

Beautifully written, and well received. In fact, there some things that I would like to see. I would love to see photos of the quarry.

I seem to remember that someone once told me that there was a cave on the island and that there were drawings, but I've never seen it or even researched the idea.

In fact, I think that many of us are there with you in spirit, and keep us in mind as you work.

As well, more than 800 statues? I hope you have many memory cards.

Please keep us updated.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm wondering if there are any gender differences in the statutes...or..er...gender...uh...never mind.
Look forward to seeing pictures!
Ms. Nugget

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Hope you are having a ball! I'm looking forward to seeing your pics and reading your observations. Thanks so much for thinking of us!

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

What a great question!

Some of the statues face out to sea, and others face inward.

Not sure of the ratio, but i will ask the archaeologist tomorrow.

Science seems to think that these statues were built to show off and build up "bravado" amoung the various chiefs of the island. It may have also been to warn off newcomers who sailed up to the island.

It is completely obvious that the statues were made here. I visited the quarry today where they were excavated and you could see them in various stages of composition. The indigenous people here had an availablility of rock and formed a quarry here and I can look and see the spaces where the rock was cut from.

You can also see evidence where ropes and men were used to lift the large stone down for sculpting. There has been widespread proof of tools used from archaeological digs, etc.

I am an ancient alien fan, but I am convinced this feat was done by the natives. I am here on the island and the proof is overhwelming.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

No gender differences!

All the statues are men.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I have taken a zillion pictures but the Internet isn't very strong here, so I am having a hard time downloading them.

Be patient!

I promise I will post some great pics tomorrow.

This is a stunningly beautiful place...but there are some amazing pictures that help you to frame the ancient alien theory, etc.

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I've come back for 4 days now to see the pics and read our observations, but no such luck. So, whazzup, Doc?

new topics

top topics

join