It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloud computing as the memory hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Amazon calls their electronic book the Kindle Fire. I suppose you could interpret this any number of ways. It always struck me as a bit creepy. It almost seems that they're making an analogy to burning books. Electronic books burn paper books.

Anyway, I think cloud computing is creepy. As time goes by, TPTB will gradually take ownership of all information. It will become too costly to keep all this electronic information on an individual basis. They will phase out paper. Everything will go electronic. People will start storing all their info in the "cloud" where it will no longer be owned by them.

Once that is complete, TPTB will own all information and they will be able to edit history. They would even be able to simply erase pretty much everything and keep only the knowledge they need to maintain their grip on power.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BrianFlanders

this has happened look at who owns all the t.v/radio/news papers i think we are in the last stages of orwells 1984 the game is nearly over bar the shouting .

look at nasa lost the tapes of the moon landings or the bbc losing the internal tapes of 9-11
and things vanishing off the net never to be seen again .

we are there we just do not know it yet

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Succinct. Clearly put.
Like the noses on our faces.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Never understood why anyone would trust their data, files, eBooks, whatever to the cloud. Just seems silly with disk storage so cheap now days.

Granted some things are built into it but that doesn't mean you have to give everything over to it.
- Resist the cloud -

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Bassago
Never understood why anyone would trust their data, files, eBooks, whatever to the cloud. Just seems silly with disk storage so cheap now days.

It's cheaper than it used to be but it gets a little more expensive if you want to store a lot of data reliably. I'm still not putting my stuff in the cloud as long as I have a choice.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

You have to be truly foolish to put all your data on the cloud and entrust it's safe keeping to some faceless organisation on the other side of the globe. Especially when you can purchase external USB terabyte drives for under a hundred quid. I have 5 of them plus a NAS server. I'm afraid the argument about cost and storage is just plain wrong. The cost of storage is falling all the time.

It is true that everything is being stored in electronic form but there is still billions of books out there and there always will be. The difference will be that the number of printed references will be much fewer as everyone uses the electronic for convenience. In order for all references to a topic to be distorted the TPTB (if they exist) will have suppress and control the information across the globe, across all cultures including the ones with their own different (DUH) manipulation of history. This will not happen, there are too many meglomaniacs with their own version of the truth for this to occur!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

yorkshirelad

You have to be truly foolish to put all your data on the cloud and entrust it's safe keeping to some faceless organisation on the other side of the globe. Especially when you can purchase external USB terabyte drives for under a hundred quid. I have 5 of them plus a NAS server. I'm afraid the argument about cost and storage is just plain wrong. The cost of storage is falling all the time.

For now. But you have to bear in mind that your access to high capacity storage devices is dictated by whether or not they are being produced and being produced. For now they are

But whatever the case may be, my gut feeling on this remains unchanged. I think if they want to "nudge" people in the direction of putting all their data in the cloud, they will find a way to make it happen. It doesn't really matter how they do it. When they want to push people in a particular direction, they can do it.

It is true that everything is being stored in electronic form but there is still billions of books out there and there always will be. The difference will be that the number of printed references will be much fewer as everyone uses the electronic for convenience. In order for all references to a topic to be distorted the TPTB (if they exist) will have suppress and control the information across the globe, across all cultures including the ones with their own different (DUH) manipulation of history. This will not happen, there are too many meglomaniacs with their own version of the truth for this to occur!

I disagree. All they need is the motive, the means and the time. They have all the time in the world. They certainly have the motive. They certainly have the means. Incrementalism. Always remember that. They don't do anything really big in a day or a week or a year or even a decade. They don't mind if it takes 50 years (or whatever). They're not impatient. You can't be impatient if you want to drastically alter the future.

And frankly, the vast majority of people are just too stupid to anticipate this or to even care. So there's the necessary opportunity. If someone wants to do something like that on a large scale, they do need an opening. They need to be able to operate largely unnoticed even if everything they're doing is visible. You have to be looking for abuse to find it most of the time.
edit on 7-11-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

top topics

join