It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indigenous Fighter designs from Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Two new fighter designs have been published that illustrate South Koreas ambitions to build its own fighter, in partnership with Indonesia which is set to have a 20% stake.

This first one is from KAI, builders of the T-50

This single engine type bears a resmblance to the front of an F-35 mated to the back of an F-16. This is no surprise as the T-50 itself has a clear resemblance to the F-16, which was the result of Lockheed Martin being a major partner helping KAI with the development of that aircraft and this proposal builds on that experience.

The second Design is from the Agency for Defence Development, which I have not heard of before

This ADD proposal has twin engines and seems far less influenced by anything Korea has built before but does bear a strong likeness to the F-22, if considerably smaller.

Not so very long ago it would be unthinkable that these nations would develop their own fighters, indeed both nations bought the single seat fighter variant of the BAE Hawk trainer as recently as the 1990's, but here they are working on a stealth fighter and with every chance of producing it successfully. Makes you think.

www.flightglobal.com...

edit on 30-10-2013 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
It is called reverse engineering and it is the exact opposite of indigenous design.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Beautiful designs. Shame they are built to kill people.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Strictly speaking, fighters are built to defend people. It's the bombers they are designed to stop that are the killing machines. But I take your point.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'm wondering how North Korea will counter this. Something with pedal-power, probably.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

No it's not. If you noticed in my OP Lockmart are a major partner with KAI. It's called technology transfer.

Reverse engineering would be them getting hold of an F-16 clandestinely and stripping it down to learn how it was built. That's the reverse of reverse engineering.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

AngryCymraeg
I'm wondering how North Korea will counter this. Something with pedal-power, probably.

I have an exclusive photo of the new North Korean launch pad

Sorry couldn't help it

I'll let myself out

Cody

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

They're actually talking about using either one of these, or another design in the F-X III program that was just rebid. It would be cheaper for them, and able to meet their requirements better than any outside aircraft.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Would it still be cheaper for them to build an indigenous aircraft after R&D is added to the total program cost?
It looks like they have done some R&D but a model and a concept is a long way from a actual fighter.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The first one looks like the rear of a F-16 with the front of a F-35. The second does look like a mini F-22. Why dont we just give them the design for the yf-23? not liek were using it.

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

A lot of the technology will be transferred from either Lockheed Martin or Boeing, who will most likely be partners with KAI, so that will help to keep costs down somewhat.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Aviation Leak has Lockheed offering a "stealthy" F-16...

For what it's worth.

top topics

join