It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I curse you in the name of....six gods?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

A lead curse tablet, dating back around 1,700 years and probably written by a magician, has been discovered in a collapsed Roman mansion in Jerusalem, archaeologists report.

"I strike and strike down and nail down the tongue, the eyes, the wrath, the ire, the anger, the procrastination, the opposition of Iennys," part of the curse reads in translation. Kyrilla asks the gods to ensure that "he in no way oppose, so that he say or perform nothing adverse to Kyrilla … but rather that Iennys, whom the womb bore, be subject to her..."

Seems a Greek woman was a bit upset with a man over a legal case so she invokes the names of six gods to curse him. Wonder what ever happen to the poor guy.

Source

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by usertwelve

It was the man's fault, even if it wasn't the man's fault.

Those are the rules.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Six gods from one religion, or six different religions invoked in one curse? Either way, that woman REALLY didn't want to miss the shot.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I would have seen her six and raised her a Vishnu and a Jah.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Just get a better lawyer..

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

cursing is very much still alive today, probably not as in the open as it used to be in those earlier times. In some parts of the world the service of professionals to curse are readily available. So is the service to be cured from curses. It is really a tragedy, I have met people totally obsessed with the knowledge that they have been cursed and were running from help to help.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Why they might have been called:

Hermes - This guy is my homeboy. He brings knowledge of magic to every craft work. He's like a facilitator for just about any occasion.

Persephone - Maybe to welcome the recipient to the land of the dead? The inclusion of her almost seems like an act of mercy.

Pluto - Interesting to call upon Pluto in conjunction with Persephone given their drama together. It's almost like a way to flavor the inclusion of Persephone.

Hecate - Oh man... this guy getting cursed is screwed.

Ereschigal - Like, really really screwed.

Abrasax - This dude is actually in the Christian pantheon and was supposed to be higher than the biblical god. So, yeah, she was serious about this.

It's interesting that there are three different pantheons here and they aren't all exactly friends with each other. They wouldn't be in a League of Gods Marvel comic, in other words. This may have something to do with the nature of the work she was doing, though.

Awesome find.
edit on 23-10-2013 by Cuervo because: spellin' schmellin'

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Abrasax - This dude is actually in the Christian pantheon and was supposed to be higher than the biblical god. So, yeah, she was serious about this.

Uh, what? I've never heard of that dude before, let alone that he's higher than the Biblical god. According to what I'm familiar with, there are no members of the Christian pantheon - if it can even be called that - higher than the Biblical god.
edit on 23-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Cuervo

Uh, what? I've never heard of that dude before, let alone that he's higher than the Biblical god. According to what I'm familiar with, there are no members of the Christian pantheon - if it can even be called that - higher than the Biblical god.

It's in the Christian pantheon via the Gnostic Christians. They don't exactly follow the rank and file Christian mythology but use more extra-biblical texts.

ps edit - I thought I might add that he's also considered a demon in addition to Yahweh's superior. Those Gnostics have their own way of looking at things, that's for sure.
edit on 23-10-2013 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

It's in the Christian pantheon via the Gnostic Christians. They don't exactly follow the rank and file Christian mythology but use more extra-biblical texts.

I was just looking it over. This Abraxas fellow features a lot of mystical correlations that really tickle my eccentric bone. Given my fascination with how all the layers of this reality are just translations of one another, from the greatest galaxy to the smallest atom, this Abraxas has a very intriguing profile. I'm glad you mentioned him.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
I was just looking it over. This Abraxas fellow features a lot of mystical correlations that really tickle my eccentric bone. Given my fascination with how all the layers of this reality are just translations of one another, from the greatest galaxy to the smallest atom, this Abraxas has a very intriguing profile. I'm glad you mentioned him.

Yeah, there's a lot of Abrahamic mythology that is truly awesome to read about. As I always said:

"Demonology is the quickest path to Christianity and Christianity is the gateway religion to Satanism". Hah!

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

4 are Greek (Hermes, Persephone, Pluto and Hecate)
1 is Babylonian (Ereschigal)
1 is Gnostic (Abrasax)

Apparently she really wanted to cover all the bases...

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Very interesting. Maybe this is why Christianity is against religious unity, because non-bible-believers were sharing with each other's religions.

The greatest example being Roman and Greek.

new topics

top topics

join