It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington State takes on GMO's, Monsanto and DuPont

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
My home state of Washington is gearing up for state elections and initiatives (Nov 5th) over the coming weeks. Big on the initiative list is I-522. Basically I-522 requires the labeling of GMO foods. You can bet all the old players that caused the dismal failure surrounding California's GMO labeling drive are here to "educate" us on why GMO labeling is bad. We proved the last election time (freedom of hemp) we were smarter than the average bear. Wish us luck against Monsanto.

Washington Initiative 522 (I-522) "concerns labeling of genetically-engineered foods" and is a 2012 initiative to the Washington State Legislature.As certified by the Washington Secretary of State, it achieved enough signatures to be forwarded to the legislature for consideration during the 2013 session. The legislature did not vote on the initiative, so I-522 is on the November 5, 2013 general election ballot. If passed into law by voters, I-522 would take effect on July 1, 2015.

Ballot title and summary

This measure would require foods produced entirely or partly with genetic engineering, as defined, to be labeled as genetically engineered when offered for retail sale in Washington, beginning in July 2015. The labeling requirement would apply generally to raw agricultural commodities, processed foods, and seeds and seed stock, with some exceptions, but would not require that specific genetically-engineered ingredients be identified. The measure would authorize state enforcement and civil penalties, and allow private enforcement actions.

And of course here's the "Against" group.

Opposition to I-522 comes primarily from large chemical corporations, and organizations such as Washington Friends of Farms and Forests, Northwest Food Processors, Washington Association of Wheat Growers and the Washington State Farm Bureau. These large donations have reportedly "shattered" previous fundraising records against any other initiative, a full month ahead of the election. Opposition has also come from the editorial boards of the Yakima Herald-Republic, The Seattle Times and Longview Daily News.

Donors
Public records of initiative donations are listed at the Washington State Public Disclosure Commission website. The largest contributors so far are Monsanto and DuPont Pioneer with $4.6 and $3.2 million in opposition, approaching the previous state record against a state-wide initiative.

Dr Bronner's Magic Soaps is the largest single contributor in support, with a total of $1.5 million.

Way to go Doc Bronner! Wish us luck we're going to need it.

Wiki..
I-522 PDF

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
You don't need GMO labeling - just look at the price. I wanted to order an organic turkey for thanksgiving since I saw a sign for preorders at the store. For organic (means non GMO from what I was told) it is 4.12 per pound. That is 80 + dollars for a thanksgiving turkey. If you want one that is a little less it means they don't guarantee no GMO' but try to keep it GMO free. I mean come on! I'm forced to pay 80-100.00 depending on size if I want a turkey that is just a turkey - nothing man made in it?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I am more concerned with the produce sections and boxed items. I'd really like to know what cereals, frozen vegetables and such contain GMO. From what what I've heard organic does not necessarily mean GMO free. It just means naturally grown, not roundup etc.
edit on 206pm2828pm102013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Yea. I assume it is all GMO unless it says otherwise. Haven't eaten corn in a year now. But some are making a mint by saying "non GMO". Labeling might reduce this inflation.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
GMO is being quietly bundled with "agenda 21" across all 50 states. It is never called agenda 21 and in order to realize what is happening in local communities it is essential to understand the general goal of that mandate.

In almost every case, GMO is tied to the agenda, so outside of the obvious evils of GMO, they are turning back agenda 21 as a side effect and I couldn't be more happy because of it.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Dianec
reply to post by Bassago

Yea. I assume it is all GMO unless it says otherwise. Haven't eaten corn in a year now. But some are making a mint by saying "non GMO". Labeling might reduce this inflation.

I've eaten a ton of corn so does that mean I'm about to get really sick or die?

Why do you have a fear of corn?

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Spookybelle

Dianec
reply to post by Bassago

I've eaten a ton of corn so does that mean I'm about to get really sick or die?

Why do you have a fear of corn?

GMO sweet corn is genetically engineered to be herbicide resistant (Roundup Ready) and to produce its own insecticide (Bt Toxin). Like all GMOs, genetically modified sweet corn has not been thoroughly tested to ensure that it is safe for consumption. NON GMO Project

I wouldn't/don't trust an insecticide producing foods.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Last poll I saw said about 66% were in favor of the initiative, the rest no and undecided. California polls showed 65% at one point. It's too close to call atm, I certainly have my fingers crossed. Washington is considered to be one of the most "organically" minded states from what I have heard, I know organic gardening is huge in my area and I think we have more than a shot at this.

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I've already sent my ballot in, and I voted in favor of labeling GMOs. It's not a matter of whether or not a person believes GMOs are bad or not. It's about the right of a person to make informed descisions about the nature of the products they are buying and eating.

We, after all, require products to have labels of their ingredients, I don't think it unfair to require producers to declare whether or not their product is genetically modified. People who oppose GMOs should be given the right to know what stuff contains it, so they can boycott it.

Washington state keeps getting better and better.

top topics

join