It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why parties are important and voting for a researched candidate is stupid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I was reading in a thread about how we should all research our candidates individually and stop voting for R or D. And it's off topic so here's a thread about it. You're kidding right?

So now I have to research all 50 people, find out what each of them believe, and what their individual platforms are because parties are outlawed and etc...? No.

If that happened, then all that would happen is the person with the most signs and TV ads and most memorable name would win.

No one goes to your local state house representative debate and sits in and listens intently.

Parties are necessary to help elect a modicum of responsible persons to lower office, if they don't match the party line they are primaried and removed by people who do care, usually a voting pool of a few hundred at most.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Hmmm...

If that happened, then all that would happen is the person with the most signs and TV ads and most memorable name would win.

How is what happens now any different? Most money = best chance to win...you don't see something wrong with that?

2 party system is a trap - illusion of choice

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

I have to disagree. For one, the several Founding Fathers warned against political parties predicting the very power they hold today. There is nothing about parties at all mentioned in the Constitution either. The Party System is really just a descendant of the differing ideologies between the followers of Hamilton and Jefferson.

Today, with the amount of information available to voters we just don't need the Party system anymore. Candidates are finalized months in advance. Tons of people play fantasy football. If you can take the time to research which players you want on your fake football team you can take the time to find out who you want representing you in your government.

Parties are really just a system of control. They are part of the Corporate Oligarchy paradigm that has failed to recognize the need to focus on creating a sustainable/renewable style economy.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   

In my state (Washington State) they mail you a voter pamphlet that explains everyone's views, even those people from parties like the Green Party and the Communist Party, since the pamphlet is made by the state, it is non-biased and everyone gets a page each.

No problems.

----------

Although it is also the state that managed to make recreational # legal in such an organized and legitimate fashion that the Federal Government said they were okay.
edit on 20-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

Yeah i agree with you, it already comes down to who gets the
money from their party.

The party system is a farce and waste of our time, it creates
divides more than it has every brought unity, it lets important
things stagnate while parties argue over their other goals.....

The reality is that its so broken it will be very very difficult to
fix, even if we had 100% honest hard working folks in there.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

FreeMason

No one goes to your local state house representative debate and sits in and listens intently.

So your argument appears to be that
- voting for an individual is bad,
- because most other people are stupid and lazy

While you're probably correct, its hardly a great argument for ALSO being lazy, like them.

edit on 20-10-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Thats it. I dont want to live on this planet anymore.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Oh yes being lazy and not doing research has worked out so well for us.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

FreeMason

That's exactly how it already works.

More corporate backing = more publicity = WIN
And since a company can legally contribute to campaign funds anonymously and classed as an individual, you'd never see it coming.

TPTB ==> Corporations ==> Politicians ==> General Public

Welcome to America, Inc. Have a seat.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

So now I have to research all 50 people, find out what each of them believe, and what their individual platforms are because parties are outlawed and etc...? No.

50 people? Err... Where are you voting? That sounds downright scary! lol

Lets see.. I may or may not have 1 House Rep or 1 Senator to vote up or down, or choose between 1-2 challengers who made it far enough to win, if enough choose them. I have the President, once every 4 years and then local stuff.

Local isn't that hard. The Judges in my area are on the Ballot on a regular schedule but it's only a 'keep or dismiss' vote to remove them (Sorry your Honors...I haven't voted to keep one yet). It isn't choosing who that would be next.

True local, at the county and city level? I'd sure hope we'd each take a little time on those. They may or may not be someone we actually know. Could be a great guy it takes some looking into, to remember. Then again, it could be some lying, cheating scumbag you'd all but forgotten about from years before ..and name alone didn't register. I've always put a little time into locals because they most directly impact daily life with decisions.

Voting blindly for party would have gotten Missouri a man like Todd Akin. You recall him, right? The Republican menace to all modern education who believed the female body had a physiological way to block pregnancy during rape? (to paraphrase a bit)

This is why looking into them DOES matter, IMO. Some, party or not, are too dumb, corrupt or just scummy to hold office, above and beyond the norm as that applies.

join