It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Canadian Government & the New Tariff For International Musicians-Capitalism Destroying Culture

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Music is the single most powerful catalyst in any country for change, growth, inspiration, motivation and in contributing to the creation of culture itself. If anything countries should make it as easy as possible for artists to share their creativity without imposing more laws that strangle their potential.

I am embarrassed at what Canada is becoming. With each new piece of legislation that serves to 'control', limit and diminish everything that is instrumental in creating and maintaining a diverse culture it seems that everything Canada has been known for throughout the world is being reduced to a smaller version of the U.S. thanks to the current government establishment that has been working hard at removing our freedoms and focusing instead on control measures in policies.

The New Proposed Tariff:
The Canadian Government now wants to put a charge of $425.00 per international artist per performance in Canada. This will ruin live music, businesses, culture and all levels of creative exchange that help to make any country dynamic and a thriving place. The ramifications of doing something like this would impact all levels of society not just the business aspect of things. This new rule quietly came into effect on July 31st, 2013.

The powerful role of music has shaped history and even one can say our emotional, spiritual and mental understanding of life in all its high's and lows. One cannot separate music from society because both are intimately related inspiring all areas within. The implications are rather staggering when you take into account society, business, nightlife and the opportunities that come from sharing such creative

Music reflects and creates social conditions – including the factors that either facilitate or impede social change. Music is a very powerful medium and clearly in some societies/countries there is an effort to control it's use or it's influence. What better way than to impose a tariff that would make it almost impossible for most new artists seeking exposure through travel. Enter the newly proposed tariff for all international musicians.

Music is the most powerful creative force out there whose influence has no limits.

Canada wants to destroy this by placing this tariff on each international artist per performance even though most often bands find themselves barely making enough to cover the cost of getting to the venue. We are not talking about the famous bands whom can afford this but rather the majority of the musical flow that is spread in a genuine talent derives from the smaller unknown bands that are trying to create exposure and spread their unique genres of music which ultimately the larger bands often benefit from.

There is NO benefit to the people in putting such a tariff on any creative field that is one of the greatest of influential powers in society. This creative force is one of the most powerful tools for creating and expanding the human mind and society at large, facilitating communication which transcends words changing the world as we know it.

We benefit by allowing such artists the freedom of entering our countries and having the otherwise impossible opportunity of expanding and enriching not only our lives but our country as a whole.

The power of music and what it can transcend within us individually and intellectually exists without limitations including our personal development and how we in turn influence our surroundings. If anything the availability of music should be increased, sponsored and encouraged. This tariff clearly stands for everything in opposition to creativity and growth not just individually but as a nation.

Clearly such a tariff has an ulterior motive that serves to diminish such a powerful medium of communication.

Canadian Government: Don't ruin live music with $425.00 charge per international artist per performance in Canada

Never before in the history of humanity have so many different kinds of music been so accessible to so many people. We should be encouraging this exchange internationally not proposing limitations and tariffs that would impede the expansion of such a powerful creative force. This tariff is nothing but an example where capitalism is destroying culture.

www.djbroadcast.net...=144/Canada_imposes_new_tariffs_on_international_touring_musicians_and_DJs.html

o.canada.com...

This is outrageous and if not revoked/removed/receded this will impact not only our local scene but our entire country in every level of society, culture and expression. The world deserves to share and make it feasible for artists to internationally contribute their dynamic talents. Thus creating a positive influence within society of expansion, positive change and culture.

The dynamic influence of music makes any society a cultural gem to live in. We should be promoting not putting limitations on the international exchange of one of the world's most powerful forces.

Apologies for any unintended infractions against T&C.

edit on 19-10-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I first saw this a couple weeks ago via the Shambhala festival. Quite disgusted to say the least and this will definitely impact a few bands decisions to cross the border. When it comes to music our government does everything but rock.....

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Don't the lesser known acts usually tag along on tour with the big name acts who can afford to pay it for them?

Anyways interesting. I wasn't aware.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
When Jean Chrétien was PM, he wasn't bothered to tell the US to go # off. It made me proud of him, and of Canada.

His planes had a habit of breaking while in flight, but he is still with us...

After Martin replaced him, Canada has become a carpet for the US.

It makes me sick to my stomach because Harper is going fully that way too.

It seems that whatever Harper can do to diminish the country, he attempts.

Voting laws at night when no one's around, giving personal info of Canadian citizens to the US gov, attempting to silence scientists in the country, etc.

Now that international artists are coming en masse to play here, they will attempt to rip them off a bit? I'm sure that that 425$ is worth more than the 1000s of $ people from here, and ELSEWHERE will spend here to see a show.

Great math there, Harper and cie!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

The bands it affects the most are the small bands without access to the huge payrolls of the corporate-music cash-cow-machine. It's just one more way of slowly beating down free speech. Real music is one of the very last places you can say what you really think in a live public forum.

In fact, I know some guys (being a musician and all) that had to cancel the Canadian part of their tour next year because of this corporate-governance fee.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

The impact of the small bands is huge because most of the amazing music happening is coming from these 'unknown' bands that really need exposure.

Music is the expression of life..............for a music lover this is killing me inside and you are 100% right about trying to censor free speech..........and one of the most powerful mediums of communication and influences. I'm disgusted at the thought of reverting to a time where bad music ruled because only large bands with capital gain international access. From my experience the talent is in the more unknown bands that exceed anything mainstream has put our or is capable of.

Sleepy Sun is but one example of hundreds of amazing bands that are virtually unheard of and need all the exposure we can bring. I could make a thread just on the number of amazing bands to list that are dependent on being able to play internationally across borders.

edit on 19-10-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Harper has this all wrong. What he SHOULD be doing, is charging Americans a tariff for all the crappy Canadian music Canadians don't want. That would make MUCH more money. Who amongst us really cares about Justin Beiber? Who really gave a $*!@ when Celeine Dion left for Vegas? I'll tell you who. AMERICANS. Tax them on their penchant for crappy Canadian musical exports. Don't tax imports.

Problem solved.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
As a part-time performer for over 35 years I can tell you this is $#$@'d beyond reason. Bands have a very hard time making ends meet, most do it for the fun of it and subsidize their tours themselves with their own money. In other words most musicians pay to play already. This pushes those costs way over the edge and unless you're independently wealthy forget playing in Canada - it won't happen.

I don't know why windows 7 won't support using the tags button, but here's a quote from the article:

"The regulations require that any venue with a primary business other than music but which also books bands or performers must now pay an application fee of $275 per musician and those travelling with the band (tour manager, sound person, guitar tech, etc.) when it applies for a Labour Market Opinion, or LMO, to allow those outside workers to perform and work in their establishment. That’s also in addition to an extra $150 for each approved musician and crew member’s work permit."

That's $425 per member. A 5 member group would pay $2,125!

But here's the real kicker - big acts playing coliseums pay NOTHING. Just those playing bars and restaurants (which comprise 99% of the gigs most indie bands would play). No charge for acts playing festivals either.

Another quote"
"They’re also quick to point out there are exemptions, which, on a musical level, includes “musicians in a band performing several tour dates in Canada” and “musicians and buskers coming to Canada to perform in festivals,” with the one major caveat being that they “must not perform in bars and restaurants.”

As others have noted this is about keeping outside influences away from Canada and clamping down on any new ideas or musical styles being developed. Punk is dead. At least in Canada. All new music from outside Canada will remain outside (I guess you can still see Bryan Adams or Rush though, drink some more beer and shout "play working man!").

This is politically motivated heavy-handed censorship and definitely unfair to bars, restaurants and musicians from other countries who might have wanted to play to the good folks of Canada.

Harper and C0 have actually outdone the US for once. You're a bigger bunch of control freaks than the US.
CONGRATULATIONS YOU MORONS.

I hope your children disown you. You'd deserve it.
Musicians across Canada should stand together and make this nonsense end.
edit on 20-10-2013 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I don't want to paint musicians with a broad brush, but many of them enjoy drinking and as a consequence have a DUI.

Unfortunately those with DUIs aren't allowed into the Great White North unless they jump through many more legal hoops even after they have paid for their mistake in the States. Even if they do, it is unlikely they will be allowed in Canada.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

DeadSeraph
Harper has this all wrong. What he SHOULD be doing, is charging Americans a tariff for all the crappy Canadian music Canadians don't want. That would make MUCH more money. Who amongst us really cares about Justin Beiber? Who really gave a $*!@ when Celeine Dion left for Vegas? I'll tell you who. AMERICANS. Tax them on their penchant for crappy Canadian musical exports. Don't tax imports.
Problem solved.
Hit the nail on the head!!!

Asktheanimals
Harper and C0 have actually outdone the US for once. You're a bigger bunch of control freaks than the US.
CONGRATULATIONS YOU MORONS.

I hope your children disown you. You'd deserve it.
Musicians across Canada should stand together and make this nonsense end.
edit on 20-10-2013 by Asktheanimals because: corrections
We absolutely need to!

eXaCtlY! We all know that there is another incentive here and it has more to do with censoring, controlling and benefiting a covert agenda. What that is I have no idea but what it looks like to me is a tool of destruction. It's a murky world inside Canada's tariff codes and general governance thanks to those in power.

My head is spinning because this is so backwards and counter productive!

I figure since this thread is about music I'll just add some.

edit on 20-10-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

This sleepy sun band you mention is touring all over the place, America, Europe, Australia.
They have a record label with ATP.
It's up to the record label to promote them, and fans like you to buy their music. Nobody is preventing them from travel or any exposure at all.

Further more this fee is for the venues in Canada who host them. Local bars and clubs are going to hire local, not pay for an unknown band and the tariff if international, who might not sell tix or drinks because nobody has heard of them.
edit on 20-10-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

They are getting a measure of attention but even as of last year they were playing in small bars even though they were traveling extensively. They all have start somewhere and usually that is at the beginning with plenty of tours that amount to for the most part small bars. Even buying their music isn't enough if it's just a few pockets of people.

Local bars should celebrate music that spreads across internationally not just local. There is enough of that everywhere. Society generates change and growth through international exchange and music is one of the most powerful tools for expansion and growth. This tariff is simply a killer in more ways than one and definitely in more ways than meets the eye.

Good music spreads even if they start out with only a few people spreading their music. Being able to cross international borders without such tariffs for musicians who are starting out or simply trying to create some exposure amidst the mainstream crap that is promoted means we need to help them not create further barriers with more tariffs and costs that would stop them before they are even able to start.

Clubs and bars will not want to limit themselves with local talent because that is not only a gamble due to what ever is available but often it is highly limited and targets a minor population.

Cheers;

edit on 20-10-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

I was reading the post but got caught in all the floriferous prose.
The issue is the $425 fee inposed on musical acts per performance? Only non Canadian acts, correct?

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

kkrattiger
reply to post by Egyptia

I was reading the post but got caught in all the floriferous prose.
The issue is the $425 fee inposed on musical acts per performance? Only non Canadian acts, correct?

Yes it is imposed on international artists/performers and not on Canadian acts.

new topics

top topics

join