It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unable to obtaibn Social Security card due to shut down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Now this is ridiculous, had to share this with all of you this morning as it has me fuming and just sick to my stomach.

My son arrived from California to stay with me for a while and went out immediately to get work which he found, however when he showed up for work they said he must have 2 forms of ID. He only has a drivers license.

So he set out this morning to travel 95 miles round trip to the nearest SS office to get his card. When he finally got to the teller, they told him that due to the Gov shut down no SS cards!!!

Now what about all of the new born? They issue them at birth now?

What in the world?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Aww, no passport either from what I hear, USPS accept app, but never processed.

Likewise, no outgoing international money transfers.

This is worst than COMMUNISM

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Did it hurt? Was that painful? Well, good, say the politicians. That IS the point.

I'm so pissed I could spit. They broke my damned website in so many ways, it's a shambles!! Most of my site was designed and built around real time or near real time data feeds. Hundreds upon hundreds of them...and it was supposed to go up in mid-Sept but for some hardware issues on my end...I digress but to note one thing here.

What the hell was it costing for the US Census Bureau to have the same static pages showing today that it had showing Sept 30th? Is that some massive expense to just NOT change every page to show a "Government Shutdown...so sorry!'? Nope... If it hurts, they smile and do more of it. Tell me what we're seeing isn't proving that in a thousand little ways ....like getting a basic SS card to obtain a job.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

WEll getting a job right now if you do not have documentation is not possible. Any of the people who have felt the loss of important papers from disasters in the past and were trying to recoup them are now at a loss or at best a stand still. So if you do not have or cannot get your documentation then you will not be eligible for assistance.

This is deep, it runs in so many directions and all are dangerous paths. I just wonder what people who believed obama and voted for him think now?

You know my son was approved for student grants, but after he did his summer session the grants were pulled and now he owes close to 4k for the summer course and the other part for this fall fell through.

It is bad.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I'm just happy to hear he may be able to find work...although Uncle obviously ended that idea for the moment. When I first got off the truck in late 2010, it was 'We're sorry, you're not qualified..." Then, within 6 months 'It appears you're a bit overqualified here and we don't think it'd make a good fit..." for those who returned a call or would respond to my follow-ups at all. Now? Oh.. hell.. Now it's the doom that can go on forever.. "We see here you've been unemployed for... this long? Oh, perhaps you can apply again at another time then..."

I swear, I've damned near written off finding gainful employment for someone else to focus exclusively on making my own source of income by whatever work or s/w I can develop to pay the bills.. I believe Work Study will have me...but whoopee dooda. It means I get the same money (Or less actually) and get it in a paycheck instead of a loan deposit. Not a dollar more to help actually PAY anything....just a different way of getting the same $ with 0 chance of time left to develop any other means to ADD net revenue to the house.

As you note, paying those bills is getting to be a real bitch. We're almost $400 on City Utilities alone some months now with replacements to HVAC, Windows, doors and more. That must give some idea of the true rise, had we NOT done all that to become as efficient as possible. (We paid a $220 flat rate plan and it ran pretty close to true average in 2009/2010!)

What the heck do we do? It's hard to see some days, isn't it?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

So if you are in another country and have your ID stolen, you are SOL?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So why was there a clerk at the SS office?

Red flag that the shutdown is pure BS. It's inconsistent and half-assed.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Even getting a unpaid internship or volunteer position is next to impossible. I've been looking for almost a year, just so I can keep my resume up.

Of course, I am being picky as I am recovering from a back injury. But I do want to work again.

Most of the public sector volunteer jobs have been used as a means to get minimum offenders of the law to do their community service and the private sector is to afraid of lawsuits.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
When a child is born, the hospital sends the birth certificate to SS, they then issue a ss # for the new born. I wonder if they are being generated?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

There are other forms of ID than can be used instead of a ss card. I used to work in HR and a lot of inexperienced managers only did the dl/ss combo on the I9 because it was the first 2 items listed.
Here's the I9 document from the gubment

Scroll down to the last page and it lists all acceptable documentation. A certified copy of birth certificate may be easier to obtain than an ss card at the moment

Anyways I hope this helps in some small way.

link   

thisguyrighthere

I called the SS office to ask a basic question. To my surprise, I reached a lady on the other end. Great, I thought. So I proceeded to ask my question and she says, "I am sorry, but that question is on a list of questions we are unable to answer". WHAT!? So I asked why. She says that due to the shutdown, she is not permitted to answer "certain" questions. When asked who I would ask for when they are able to answer my question, she says, " Me of course". She then politely said goodbye and hung up the phone.

Really? She is being paid to answer a phone, but can't answer a simple question. Wouldn't it save us tax payers a few more dollars to just not pay these people at all since they obviously can't do anything but answer a phone to tell you they can't do their job! What a**h***s!

link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Great question.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

antar
My son arrived from California to stay with me for a while and went out immediately to get work which he found, however when he showed up for work they said he must have 2 forms of ID. He only has a drivers license.

This is not a big deal. Solution = computer, graphics program, printer.

Hey .... don't laugh .... it works ok for obama.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

edit on 15-10-2013 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
In many of the threads I have been reading on here there has been a outcry that the havnt shut down enough programs.

No one really cares until it affects them. Kind of like celebrating that the EPA is on furlough till you get a gallon of sour milk. Don't cry over it.

My cousin was telling me they feel bad for the secretaries at work living paycheck to paycheck that are divorced with 2 kids. I have a lot of family in DC most of them retired now but the few still in run big projects and saved for days like these but those who aren't so fortunate aren't doing so well.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

My son's girlfriend went to get her SS card and the office was open. I can understand why they can't mail the card right now due to the shutdown but they wouldn't do a printout to prove she has a SS card. They were open the computers were working but they can't do a measly printout. Just doesn't make sense.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

thisguyrighthere

It's very consistant. It's called the "pain" factor.

For example, they've got all kinds of cops to keep people from slowing down or stopping to look at the Mt. Rushmore mountain sculpture. I can't help but wonder what kind of cop (employee) goes along with these orders? Mentally vacant and incapable of critical thinking or just morally comprised?

Truthfully, I'm surprised the federals have not dynamited the Mt Rushmore monument. After all, it glorifies "terrorists".

Had enough yet?

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by antar

Did it hurt? Was that painful? Well, good, say the politicians. That IS the point.

I'm so pissed I could spit. They broke my damned website in so many ways, it's a shambles!! Most of my site was designed and built around real time or near real time data feeds. Hundreds upon hundreds of them...and it was supposed to go up in mid-Sept but for some hardware issues on my end...I digress but to note one thing here.

What the hell was it costing for the US Census Bureau to have the same static pages showing today that it had showing Sept 30th? Is that some massive expense to just NOT change every page to show a "Government Shutdown...so sorry!'? Nope... If it hurts, they smile and do more of it. Tell me what we're seeing isn't proving that in a thousand little ways ....like getting a basic SS card to obtain a job.

Didn't know you were that involved in the blogsphere, Wrabbit.. and my chunka hurt goes with you on this induced frustration level. You and many of us are getting a legitimately bigger axe to grind than we can lift the sharpening stone to, almost from forever.
What's literally killing me is the fact it costs so much more for them to restrict access to, and increase guarding of what they shut down; than just leaving us and the 'non-essential' alone.

I personally am old enough to remember a childhood living somewhere including at least the well cultivated illusion of it being a free country. Popped that pimple with some big pliers.

fast forward, and from today--
I was eligible and going to file for a retirement pension at 62: just about to arrive. Site shutdown and no agents for filing new claims (and we're probably not sorry, slave BWAHAHAhaaaa).
Starve, freeze, AND rot. You gotta suppport it or you're a racist.

For this one, and if timing was everything-- my life's theme has been akin to graduating from high school the summer before the school district put in an olympic sized pool, weight room and electric B-Ball court. True story, but I'm not Col. Stewart:
it's a wonderful lie.

This is shaping up to be America's Winter of Discontent, 100 years ater Russia's. Hope you get your site up despite the evil clowns. I have to give up and maybe if lucky finish on a yellow.

ps: two years after the additions the school district restructured to that being earmarked as the Admin. Building.
Yes I can spell Politbureau. Love it or you're a terrorist.

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Why not us his birth certificateif he has one.
edit on 15-10-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

antar
When a child is born, the hospital sends the birth certificate to SS, they then issue a ss # for the new born. I wonder if they are being generated?

Wow: wouldn't it be cool bordering on heavenly, if the newborn in question was actually by definition and through a lack of oversight-- a corporate non-person and actually free?

I think the limbo is temporary.. it has to be because that BC is where all our billings come from. Nice point though for sure.
*Sigh, no beaurocracy can slip up that much in our favor.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join