It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Youngest Nobel Peace laureate Ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Watch video at source article.

16-Year-Old Malala Yousafzai Leaves Jon Stewart Speechless With Comment About Pacifism

Malala Yousafzai, the 16-year-old Pakistani advocate for womens rights and access to education, appeared on the Daily Show last night, ahead of Friday's pending announcement for the 2013 recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Her answer to one of Jon Stewart's questions left him speechless.

An outspoken critic of the Taliban's tactics in her native Swat Valley from a young age, Malala was the subject of an attempted assassination at the hands of a Taliban gunman because she was unafraid to speak out.

Then, at just 14 years old, a Talib fighter boarded her bus, pointed a pistol at her head, and pulled the trigger. But she survived, made a full recovery in England, and has become and transformative figure in human rights.

Now, she is poised to become the youngest Nobel Peace laureate ever.

In the key moment of the interview, Stewart asked her how she reacted when she learned that the Taliban wanted her dead. Her answer was absolutely remarkable:

I started thinking about that, and I used to think that the Talib would come, and he would just kill me. But then I said, 'If he comes, what would you do Malala?' then I would reply to myself, 'Malala, just take a shoe and hit him.' But then I said, 'If you hit a Talib with your shoe, then there would be no difference between you and the Talib. You must not treat others with cruelty and that much harshly, you must fight others but through peace and through dialogue and through education.' Then I said I will tell him how important education is and that 'I even want education for your children as well.' And I will tell him, 'That's what I want to tell you, now do what you want.'

Read more.

I think sometimes we have a tendency to demonize and generalize entire populations. This young woman is exceptional but probably a better representation of the populace than most think. You have good people and bad it is just that most of the time you only hear about the bad. I am glad to hear about the good sometimes.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Such an amazing and inspiring young girl.

10 Ways Malala has Changed the World -

3. Her ability to be fearless is inspiring beyond measure

5. She has taught us all about forgiveness
One of the most moving moments of her speech was when she said, "I do not even hate the Talib who shot me. Even if there is a gun in my hand and he stands in front of me. I would not shoot him."

9. She has illustrated the importance of peaceful conflict resolution
Inspired by leaders such as Mahatma Gandhi, Malala has resorted to peaceful solutions in order to tackle the issues of girls' education and the equality of women.

www.policymic.com...

I know some "grown ups" who could learn a lot from her.
edit on 10-10-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

She's very brave. I don't think she actually won the prize, however.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I don't think she won(if the event alrdy happen), but she was a candidate.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Toromos

It looks as though they awarded it to a group for their work on chemical weapons. Wish I could change the title. I think she is still the youngest to have ever been up for the award. Her story is still pretty amazing IMO.

top topics

join