It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gigantic Lightning Above the Electric Earth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Yes, let's take a stab at the scientists and the mainstream models, because it's so easy to make sweeping conclusions and follow a cult "theory", without understanding how real science works. Let's sweep hundreds of years' worth of science under the rug, because this particular theory makes more sense to you.

But I was hoping that this thread will be about the sprites phenomenon, not some book-selling cult that poses as science.

There is plenty of electromagnetism in the universe (including Earth and our own bodies), but something but be separating those charges. Production of electricity requires energy input. Where does that energy come from? Why am I not getting constant electric shocks from everywhere?

If the EU theory were there from the start, and the mainstream model never developed, would we be able to send rockets into space, fly planes, build nuclear reactors, computers, advanced medical equipment, etc?

Everything we have and use right now comes from mainstream science.
edit on 11-10-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TommyD1966

Don't worry, you can't demean me. To do so would be a statement that people cannot admit that they don;t know everything or make mistakes, which in itself would not be logical. I appreciate your correction. Indeed it was Newtons third law. Now, what can you tell me about Herzburg's Hygiene Factors. indeed I feel they are quite appropriate in this context.

Cheers!
JF

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

JakiusFogg
reply to post by TommyD1966

Don't worry, you can't demean me. To do so would be a statement that people cannot admit that they don;t know everything or make mistakes, which in itself would not be logical. I appreciate your correction. Indeed it was Newtons third law. Now, what can you tell me about Herzburg's Hygiene Factors. indeed I feel they are quite appropriate in this context.

Cheers!
JF

I can tell you absolutely nothing about HHF (well, other than what I just saw at Wikipedia).

I will admit complete ignorance when it comes to psychology.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

This has been in the MSM and MS Science for a couple of years now. It's all within the standard model.

There is no voodoo here or electric universe crap.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

ziplock9000
reply to post by boncho

This has been in the MSM and MS Science for a couple of years now. It's all within the standard model.

There is no voodoo here or electric universe crap.

The OP says it means that EU is more plausible, or did you miss that part? First post.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

fluff007
Hi peeps...

First I just wanted to say I never knew you got lightning way above the clouds..! This is a video by Wal Thornhill whose Electric Universe model makes more sense to me than the Standard model. Now I could not tell you which is the truer model of our Universe (I do not think I know enough to say..!).
I do know enough to say.

Wal Thornhill doesn't even know the mainstream science he's criticizing, and is even less capable of forming a credible theory of his own. He doesn't even understand what's in the wikipedia. Look at 1:05 in his video where he shows the first color image of a sprite in 1994 and refers to it as lightning. Here's what Wiki says about Sprites

Sprites are large-scale electrical discharges that occur high above thunderstorm clouds, or cumulonimbus, giving rise to a quite varied range of visual shapes flickering in the night sky. They are triggered by the discharges of positive lightning between an underlying thundercloud and the ground.

Sprites appear as luminous reddish-orange flashes. They often occur in clusters within the altitude range 50–90 km (31–56 mi) above the Earth's surface. Sporadic visual reports of sprites go back at least to 1886, but they were first photographed on July 6, 1989 by scientists from the University of Minnesota and have subsequently been captured in video recordings many thousands of times.

Sprites are sometimes inaccurately called upper-atmospheric lightning.
This may surprise you but it doesn't surprise me, that Thornhill is inaccurately referring to them as such. What are they really?

However, sprites are cold plasma phenomena that lack the hot channel temperatures of tropospheric lightning, so they are more akin to fluorescent tube discharges than to lightning discharges.
So it's not really even lightning.

Now does mainstream have all the answers about Sprites or anything else? Of course not. We don't know what we don't know, which is quite a bit, but on the other hand we do know what we do know, which is not nothing, but Thornhill doesn't even seem to know what we do know which is why his theories fail so badly.

But it's understandable why people don't know real science might find his pseudoscience appealing. They'd like to think they are smarter than real scientists who work hard to collect real evidence and get real answers, without doing any of the hard work real scientists do. But just because it's an appealing notion doesn't make it right.

fluff007
Remember when people thought the Earth was flat and ruled it outrageously preposterous that it could be a sphere..

All theories deserve to be studied...
Good point, do you think the flat earth theory deserves to be studied?

Or has it already been studied and dismissed for good reason?

Try to explain to people in the flat Earth society how you know the Earth isn't flat and their theory doesn't really deserve to be studied, and you will know how real scientists feel about trying to explain to EU proponents how we already have good enough reason to dismiss many aspects of EU theory as we do to dismiss flat Earth theory.

But maybe you really believe what you said, that all theories deserve to be studied, and you are still considering the flat Earth theory? Obviously you were thinking about it.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Check out these amazing images of red sprites, by Miloslav Druckmüller: www.zam.fme.vutbr.cz...

(one of the images slightly adjusted by me)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join