It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine Govener Declares State of Emergency

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Found this to an odd response to the shutdown. The proclamation declares a state of civil emergency, and ends with

I do hereby declare a State of Civil Emergency as of October 9, 2013 and exercise my authority to suspend strict compliance with laws or rules that prevent, hinder, and delay effective management of the emergency

Rather open ended it seems, but I'm no lawyer.
Full story and proclamation

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
It gives him the power to over ride aal the things he wants like he stated all employees will receive state unemployment so it looks like he is gonna try to make things right with all this shutdown stuff and do it his way as much as possible

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This declaration puts the problem out there for all to see.

A state can't operate.... because it depends on Federal funding to operate.

States should be able to operate without Federal funding. They shouldn't have a financial string pulling them from Washington, DC.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I was hoping the NH governor would do the same so the private campgrounds could ignore the feds order to close due to the "shutdown" this weekend.

Sadly NH's current governor is all about Obama and federal control.

Massholes have ruined this state.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I don't even think the snowball has started to roll down the hill yet, and we're already seeing something like this.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Hi OP, former "Mainiac" here. I love Maine but the winters are more than I can handle even being born and raised there.

I hope the old adage holds, "As Maine goes, so goes the nation". Maine has always been a forerunner to change and as another poster said the snowball hasn't even begun to move. Lets hope this stand by Maine gives it the push off needed.

SnF thanks for finding this!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by iwontrun

If they declare a state of emergency,then can they next use martial law?
second line.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Speaking purely objectively (i.e. as a person who, being not a resident of Maine, or indeed the USA, and has no affiliation with either the democrats or republicans) this would appear to be a good way to mitigate any negative effects of the Shutdown over there.

However, also speaking objectively, it seems to me that all the ridiculous whining by both sides of the debate which lead to the shutdown, is hypocrisy in the extreme, since it was neither parties fault that this mess happened, but both at once. Also, it would seem to me, that if Americans want effective government, they had better learn to vote with their heads and not their various indoctrination. The republican voters need to learn that the values of the party suck massive unmentionable body parts, and the democrat voters need to understand that their party is no better than the republicans, just slightly better at press relations.

All in all, I think anyone voting for either of the big two parties in the US right now, might be open to being called a traitor to the people, since it is clear that neither party have the interests of the people of the USA at the forefront of their actions, thoughts, or intentions. And I do not say that from a falsely assumed position of total harmony and wisdom, because the same crap could be said of my nations political topography right now.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyholes

Winter quickly approaches, and heating assistance has stopped. As a former mainer I'm sure you remember stories every year about people freezing to death. This is going to free up funds to cover the fed for that and other programs. I'm just not sure where their going to free it from, The rainy day fund went to buy all the kids in the state ipads (they NEEDED them for school) and he took out a loan to pay off the states 36 million medicare bill.
It seems like this just puts the "robbing peter to pay paul" on the states shoulders?
Any of the political minded out there know if our state can go to China for a loan? I can't wait to see the state and town municipalities start buying equipment at BHPH's and going to temp services for public works !!!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

In politics you rob the people whose votes you dont need to pander to the people whose votes you do need.

Sense and fiscal responsibility have nothing to do with it.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimithae

I`m waiting for obama to declare a nationwide state of emergency.
In may 2012 he signed an executive order giving him the power to declare an emergency in peacetime and giving him the powers of a dictator in times of emergency.
He will have the power to take control of all the resources in the country,not just natural resources but things like electricity too.he will have the power to control all the resources and the power to decide who gets what resources and how much of each resource they get.
since the government will in effect own those resources it won`t cost the government a penny to use them.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Every state should have a contingency plan if the federal government shuts down. And it should go into affect as soon as possible.
edit on 10/10/13 by Whateva69 because: stupid tablets fault

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I guess martial law in USA is a possibility??

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

AbleEndangered
I guess martial law in USA is a possibility??

Strange as this has been in the paranoid box for a long time. "Great events cast there shadows long before them".

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

iwontrun
...The proclamation declares a state of civil emergency, and ends with

I do hereby declare a State of Civil Emergency as of October 9, 2013 and exercise my authority to suspend strict compliance with laws or rules that prevent, hinder, and delay effective management of the emergency

Hey - can WE do that?
I do hereby declare a State of Civilian Emergency...and exercise my right to suspend strict compliance with laws or rules that prevent, hinder, and delay effective management of the emergency.
I - kinda - like - that!

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I am wondering if its a Imminent Disaster or economical, this is so whack!!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by anonentity

Very true, I like that quote!

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by WanDash

Maybe we could try to declare a state of "personal emergency". I'm going to try that and see if it works, Then say I can't decide what to do so I'm going full Taoist and actively do nothing and hope it solves my problems. And when it doesn't I'll blame my wife and she can blame me. When the bill collectors call we can just deflect the situation by screaming at each other and hopefully they'll just hang up!

top topics

join