It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 House Republicans Sign Letter to Cut Social Security Benefits

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

If they ensured that the American worker made a living wage and enacted policies toward full employment social security would not have any funding problems. I also know that as of 2 years ago social security was still taking in more than it paid out, so it has not contributed to our deficit whatsoever. I still think that is the case. Also if it wasn't for the government raiding the fund then the country's budget issues would be far greater.

I think social security should cash in all it's bonds and put that money to use by financing responsible mortgages and loans. Then it could earn it's own profit and not rely on taxpayers for it's earnings.

If this ever went through it would spell the end of the Republican party.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Regarding our federal social welfare programs...

These sort of situations are *EXACTLY* why people (primarily of the libertarian bend) warn against and plead to stop doing them via Federal/National Government.

Because once people become dependent upon them, they become political weapons for BOTH sides.

Every... damn... time.

Eventually the truth becomes visible that the program was never really meant to "help" people... but instead gradually get them utterly dependent so those people's needs can be turned into political bullets.

There are better alternatives for safety nets that don't take down an entire segment of the population at once when they eventually fall apart or are manipulated and abused down the road.

A government dependent on the people... will work for the people.

A people dependent on the government... will become servants, pawns, and guard dogs for the government.
edit on 10-10-2013 by BardingTheBard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

NotAnAspie

mikell
I can see if they cut disability because it's way too easy to get anymore. My wife gets nearly $1700 a month because she's depress about having to retire against her will on top of the $2600 and free insurance she gets every month

It's not that easy.

that has got to be an exaggeration.

i know people who've had cancer with no disability.

When the robber's already got your wallet/purse of life's savings and a gun trained on you-- it's no exaggeration to assume all you are is a witness (liability).

BTW you know another one: cancer twice now. Methinks second is the charm for this kind. And wth the 'shutdown' making it impossible to even file at 62, much less go for a disablility bump.. I guess I'll enjoy a nice fast retirement with a novel combination of starve, freeze and rot.
It's much less fun for a psychopath to kill you when you're not scared of it anymore. Notice the pronoun, Eric?

I guess it's also politically incorrect, approaching dangerous to my personal safety; to mention what the Southern Poverty Law Center is a storefront for. It's enlightening at least... should explain more than I could. Let's just for now say it's a rabbit hole bigger than the Plain of Megiddo. Cheers!

Kneel to your Pod.
To the 50 who signed this, and their masters... I want every one of you to live forever, and age normally.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

First, I don't agree with this legislation, at all. I must however point out that cutting social security wouldn't even be an issue if we didn't have so much accumulating debt in the form of democrat sponsored handout programs a large portion of which are abused to the tune of billions of dollars a year and an even larger portion are going to non US citizens here illegally but that the democrats condone and encourage.

I agree with you but if you want a rational discussion on the issue you have to face facts and address the issues of why this is even on the table to begin with. Perhaps there are better solutions for cutting the deficit but just like the immigration issue, democrats are not even willing to discuss it.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The title of this thread is a lie

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Social security is all my grandmother has to live on. Her representative signed it and will be getting an angry call from both of us.

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
so many people relying on these payments to just survive and yet the rich get richer and hoard their money.......when we pay out sporting heroes so many millions,..our so called leaders living in a different world to the common man,...CEO's getting paid millions ,the military machine with god knows how much they get every year and yet it is the needy that get screwed.....well there is one thing for sure and history shows that when people become hungry they get mad and irrational......maybe that's why they have the zombie training...they know they are about to be invaded by the hungry hoards....

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

calstorm
Social security is all my grandmother has to live on. Her representative signed it and will be getting an angry call from both of us.

Are you ignorant?

Did you read the papers signed? Neither of them talk about reducing social security benefits, but are about making them solvent so they don't run out of money.

Great your Grandmother gets SS, what about me? I pay into it, what do I get from it in 50 years? CRAP.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join